No announcement yet.

Nike Machomai Review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d_lyrik803 View Post
    i got to disagree, i got the machomai in black, mids, and they are perfect. the only flaw that i have with them is that the soles don't have the necessary padding that i need for my high arc feet, but that can be fixed with arc sole supports. also the mesh material they fabricated it with for air ventilation helps so much, keeps your feet dry and athlete foot free. i've mentioned it before in another thread, if you don't wear Nike shoes much, and you go by what size you wear currently, give or take they are not going to fit as good as you thought they would. i wear nike all the time so i went by that in order to come to a size decision for the machomai, and they fit very well all around (except for my arc problem). i like them so much im probably going to get them in red and blue also. im a small fighter at 5' 6", and i like to move a lot in the ring so the lightness of these shoes do help you to stay light on your feet.
    so the only thing thats bad about them is they dont have enough foot support or padding? man thats ****ing terrible I thought they would. What should should i be aiming for if I want some padding or decent padding on my foot?

Comment

I used to have foot pain on the top of my foot, but switching to Lydiard lacing fixed it by taking pressure off the top. You could try different lacing methods, sometimes where the pain originates from can be hard to figure out.

Actually since changing my lacing I've had no foot pain ever.. for 3 years of running.
      Last edited by eman-resu; 08-19-2008, 11:33 PM.

Comment

its got enough padding if your a flat foot person, but i got a good arc on my feet, and not having an arc support causes cramps. to me its not that big a deal because you can buy arc support soles. the adidas shawn recently got look nicer in my opinion, and yeah the lacing looks better, but it looks heavier. to me it all depends on the type of fighter you are. if you're move less in the ring, then maybe you don't mind heavier shoes but if your like me for instance and pretty much has that body built that has to constantly move around to land punches and evade shots then heavier boxing shoes are not the thing for me. its all preference, the ankle structure on the Adidas do look more sturdy (i guess i got fat ankles because the machs fit right) but i do see where shawn is coming from because ive worn the jordans ive seen him wear in his videos prior to his machomai he ordered, so i can see the feeling of a downgrade there (those jordans are heavy as hell by the way).

when it comes down to it man it doesn't matter what shoes you get because i've seen pros on tv wear light sneakers instead of actual boxing shoes ... a pro i know Kasim Howard uses those cheap Everlast lowcuts which got discontinued due to their crappy fabrication. my trainer told me that when you buy boxing shoes depending on who you are, wearing them in for a few days will determine whether or not they are right for you.

Comment

Try the lydiard lacing I mentioned, it was invented for taking pressure off people with high arches

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by d_lyrik803 View Post
            its got enough padding if your a flat foot person, but i got a good arc on my feet, and not having an arc support causes cramps. to me its not that big a deal because you can buy arc support soles. the adidas shawn recently got look nicer in my opinion, and yeah the lacing looks better, but it looks heavier. to me it all depends on the type of fighter you are. if you're move less in the ring, then maybe you don't mind heavier shoes but if your like me for instance and pretty much has that body built that has to constantly move around to land punches and evade shots then heavier boxing shoes are not the thing for me. its all preference, the ankle structure on the Adidas do look more sturdy (i guess i got fat ankles because the machs fit right) but i do see where shawn is coming from because ive worn the jordans ive seen him wear in his videos prior to his machomai he ordered, so i can see the feeling of a downgrade there (those jordans are heavy as hell by the way).

when it comes down to it man it doesn't matter what shoes you get because i've seen pros on tv wear light sneakers instead of actual boxing shoes ... a pro i know Kasim Howard uses those cheap Everlast lowcuts which got discontinued due to their crappy fabrication. my trainer told me that when you buy boxing shoes depending on who you are, wearing them in for a few days will determine whether or not they are right for you.
            Honestly, the weight difference is way overrated. ALL boxing shoes are already so extraordinarily light that minor changes in weight are of little more importance than a marketing ploy. In my opinion the shoe would have been much better if they would have made it sturdier and more supportive.

It really feels like wearing a sock with grip on the bottom. Not how a boxing shoe should feel.

Not only would I chose my Boxing 2000's over them, but I would also chose my Roy Jones Jordans over them.

Comment

Shawn, waht on earth are you doing. You are actually beginning to make sense! You're acting out of character and worrying us all. BTW Grant leather boots are slightly heavier by a few oz and I don't think it slowed down B-Hop's old legs, so why would it make a difference to you. Spot on mate, the lightness of them Nike's are nothing but a marketing ploy. However, if someone really does think it helps them then maybe the placebo affect is not harmful for them. But really, Adidas have been in the game much longer and probably know what they are doing better than Nike. I always rated Adidas better than Nike anyway, in general. Especially when it comes to quality.

Comment

I don't think shoe weight matters too much but I know in bball the more ankle support you have the slower you run and less you can jump

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  Honestly, the weight difference is way overrated. ALL boxing shoes are already so extraordinarily light that minor changes in weight are of little more importance than a marketing ploy. In my opinion the shoe would have been much better if they would have made it sturdier and more supportive.

It really feels like wearing a sock with grip on the bottom. Not how a boxing shoe should feel.

Not only would I chose my Boxing 2000's over them, but I would also chose my Roy Jones Jordans over them.
                  To back up my claim, I just weighed my boxing 2000's, Machomai's on a postal scale.

Machomai's 9.6 ounces
                  Boxing 2000's 10.6 ounces

1 ounce of weight is not worth a rolled ankle to me. To put that in perspective, 4 American Quarters weight exactly 1 ounce. I would be willing to bet money that if I randomly added 1 ounce of weight to one of your shoes, you would not be able to reliably determine which one.

On another note LOL! A quarter weighs .25 ounces!

Comment

Originally posted by eman-resu View Post
                    Try the lydiard lacing I mentioned, it was invented for taking pressure off people with high arches

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm
                    I am not going to ask how you found that site... but wow, I had no idea there were so many ways to lace up a pair of shoes, lol.

Comment

Well I learned about lacing in boy scouts. Most people think it's a total joke/gay/whatever but it really works well, I've tried tons of methods and even my work boots are laced differently, I have no foot pain ever. Most pro athletes don't use regular lacing. There are even ways to tie where you don't have to use a knot, just pull it tight.

Comment

Working...
                      X