problem is you're tryna kill with every shot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem is you're tryna kill with every shot

my coach says my "problem is you're tryna kill with every shot"

he said i should conserve my energy by distracting with the first shots and put all my power in the last one. that way i dont gas.

so i asked what if i dont gas?

coach said "well then ima call you superman and show you some ****!"

i only been boxing about 4 months but is it completely off for me to want to keep on "tryna kill with every shot" and just train my body for that? if i keep at it in the same style will i eventually just be able to do it for a long ass time?

i work my conditioning with interval sprints and ross training but will long distance running really help me be able to punch hard for a long time even though its anerobic while running is aerobic?

Originally posted by mkm88414 View Post
    my coach says my "problem is you're tryna kill with every shot"

he said i should conserve my energy by distracting with the first shots and put all my power in the last one. that way i dont gas.

so i asked what if i dont gas?

coach said "well then ima call you superman and show you some ****!"

i only been boxing about 4 months but is it completely off for me to want to keep on "tryna kill with every shot" and just train my body for that? if i keep at it in the same style will i eventually just be able to do it for a long ass time?

i work my conditioning with interval sprints and ross training but will long distance running really help me be able to punch hard for a long time even though its anerobic while running is aerobic?
    You will never be able to throw loads of shots at full power. You wouldn't last a round.

Comment

pick your spots, pick your shots. I agree with your coach it's only going to leave you open for counters when you throw every shot as hard as possible, I study my opponent find out where they're open when one combo is thrown and put all your power onto where they are weakest, my favorite time to do this is when i've continuosly thrown 1-1-2's all night and then mix in a hard 1(head)-1(head)-2(body), bait them with the jab and unleash the 2 hard and then get the **** out of the way.

Comment

Running will help you conserve energy and will give you more strenght over the course of a fight. Youyr trainer is basically telling you that you are loading up. Try stinging the bag instead with every shot rather than trying to blast away. Power is always there anyway, whatever you have or don't have. Practice big shots more on the pads. On the bag try flurries and working that heart. Especially if you are a noob or have been out for a while. In time you will be able to throw more bombs but right now do as he says! You need to prolongue the pain!

Comment

If you use power punches most/all of the time, you'd be exhausted by the first and if you didn't win by knock out, which is hard to do in the amatuers, you'd be killed in the 2nd and 3rd. If you really, really want to be a power puncher you need to do two things;

1) Learn how to slow down the pace of a fight. How to do this, I dunno, i'm still learning, ask a coach.

2) Learn an very effect jab to keep distances.

Personally, i'd just do what the coach says because he sounds right, that is the normal thing and the norm exists because it's tried and tested. The jab is the most prominant punch for a reason, it's not powerful, it doesn't hurt too much but it can daze them if thrown in quick succession, it can allow you to manouvre them or around them and it can break down defences which is then when you throw the power punches.

If you throw punches and they know how to slip them, or block them and they're fast, they'll eat a power puncher. A 'power puncher' is most often called a 'slugger' and they're generally seen as the least capable boxers, if they win it's usually down to brute force, not ability.

If you want to fight with power, you're better off being an 'aggressive inside fighter' which is often reffered to as a 'preasure fighter' means you tire them down by putting preasure on them all of the time rather than working them with constant jabs, which is how an outside fighter would work. Even these don't throw power punches all of the time, they work by hooks and uppercuts which are often seen as powerful punches, but they weaken them so they can conserve energy for when their guard is down.
          Last edited by JayCoe; 08-12-2008, 08:12 PM.

Comment

the double jab upstairs and a straight right to the body is one of my personal favorites dfwtx, where'd you pick it up.

Comment

keep your left out and time your opponent with fast jabs and when hes in range, unload a hard cross, dont try and think your superman and just cos you have a good punch you will KO everyone if you throw bomb after bomb

ive tried it in sparring and in fights and it just doesnt work, you get tired and you leave yourself extremely open, be selective with power shots unless you have your guys hurt, then you can unload, but even when unloading do it intelligently, dont just swing for the fences, and be conscious of what part of their body you want to hit and what punch you want to use

Comment

Originally posted by peewee1460 View Post
                the double jab upstairs and a straight right to the body is one of my personal favorites dfwtx, where'd you pick it up.
                Thats a good combo but check this combo out. I pick a round where all i do is jab and right cross the body usually right above the trunks. usually the fighter blocks em simply by slapping my hand down but he will get pissed cuz thats the only place ur hitting him so when i see them getting pissed i only jab above the trunks until i see them slap my jab with both hands(leaving their head wide open) then i right cross straight to their chin. It will **** em up and if it dont. it will get em frustrated as hell.

Comment

Some people throw the majority of shots as power shots. Examples of famous boxers like that would be Ike Quartey and Clottey. They've both gotten very far in their careers but both have had some stamina issues. If you can do it more props to you.

Comment

train hard like manny pacquaio and you can do whatever the **** you want and not get tired.. thats what seperates the men from the boys

you will learn to conserve energy while exerting yourself and keeping composure like mayweather.. you think he got his conditioning by taking it easy? his dad pushed his ass HARD

the problem with tryin to kill with every shot is that if you miss it leaves you open longer

wait a minute, who the **** am i to give advice?
                    Last edited by Talon; 08-13-2008, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X