Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do boxers that weight train do bicep curl and bench press?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do boxers that weight train do bicep curl and bench press?

i know boxers that do weights usually do for the neck back legs n shoulders.....but i heard they just do pushups because biceps weights and chest weights limit flexibility.....is this true

Bench press is a compound movement that works chest shoulders and tris. It is a good exercise for increasing strength with heavy weight and low reps.
    Chin ups work the upper back but you also get a good workout for biceps and fores, eliminating the need to work bis seperately (although I usually throw in a couple of bicep curls in my weight routine, cant help myself!.

I think the consensus is nowadays that weight training does not necessarily decrease flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
      Chin ups work the upper back but you also get a good workout for biceps and fores.
      After I punched alot more than usual one day, the next day my upper-middle-back, lower-sides-back, shoulders and triceps were sore.
      I find it easy to train my triceps and shoulders but I can't figure out how to train my back.

I try doing lat pulldowns and chin ups for my back. But when I do those exercises I always seem to use my biceps the most. Afterwards I never feel like I've trained my back. Am I maybe doing something wrong? If so, what is the right way to do lat pulldowns and chin ups? And does it matter if I do them fast or slow? And how many reps? (I usually do 5 fast reps with heavy weight. I can handle 5 reps on higher weight but then my reps will be slower...)

I also try reverse flies for my back. Any idea how many reps would be appropriate for that?
      And are there any other exercises I could do that train the muscles I use for punching?

Thanks in advance!

PS: to answer the threadstarter: I don't do curls because they only train your biceps. The only movement in boxing you use your biceps for is pulling your arm back. And that movement doesn't need power but only velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael S View Post
        After I punched alot more than usual one day, the next day my upper-middle-back, lower-sides-back, shoulders and triceps were sore.
        I find it easy to train my triceps and shoulders but I can't figure out how to train my back.

I try doing lat pulldowns and chin ups for my back. But when I do those exercises I always seem to use my biceps the most. Afterwards I never feel like I've trained my back. Am I maybe doing something wrong? If so, what is the right way to do lat pulldowns and chin ups? And does it matter if I do them fast or slow? And how many reps? (I usually do 5 fast reps with heavy weight. I can handle 5 reps on higher weight but then my reps will be slower...)

I also try reverse flies for my back. Any idea how many reps would be appropriate for that?
        And are there any other exercises I could do that train the muscles I use for punching?

Thanks in advance!

PS: to answer the threadstarter: I don't do curls because they only train your biceps. The only movement in boxing you use your biceps for is pulling your arm back. And that movement doesn't need power but only velocity.
        For your back i would suggest doing that:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html

Or even some ground slams with a medicine balls.

As for the topic, i don't beleive there is exercises you should skip for boxing. Like Trrmo said, low reps with heavy weights is what you are looking for. Allows you to gain strenght without gaining too much muscle/mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
          For your back i would suggest doing that:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html
          Thanks! How many reps should I do? Should I go heavy + fast or heavier + slow?

Comment

rafael if you don't feel your back during those exercises...use a thumbless grip.

Comment

Try using a V-Bar for the Lat pulldown. That targets the back specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael S View Post
                Thanks! How many reps should I do? Should I go heavy + fast or heavier + slow?
                I would say heavier + moderate speed.

Personally i do it with 95 pounds on the dumbell and i do 4 series of 4 reps.

Comment

Do hard intervals on a rower for a more boxing applicable back workout. 500 meters/1 minute rest for 5000 meters works the back really well and builds endurance.

Oh yeah and pullup drills where you do a bunch of varieties of course
                  Last edited by eman-resu; 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eman-resu View Post
                    Do hard intervals on a rower for a more boxing applicable back workout. 500 meters/1 minute rest for 5000 meters works the back really well and builds endurance.

Oh yeah and pullup drills where you do a bunch of varieties of course
                    Cool, does this also help my cardio?

Comment

Working...
                    X