Worried about first spar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about first spar

Ok
    Ive been boxing for about a month and a half, coming up to 2 months, and they want me to get a mouthguard for sparring.
    is it normal to be worried; firstly i wear braces (im 15) so im worried about damage to them, even with mouthguard. secondally, im worried about just being humiliated by someone better than me, because the only other boys around my size (im 6ft 1, 74kg) are fairly experienced.

EDIT (24/3)
    Sparred today. was pretty nervous. got in with a guy who was taller than me and has been boxing for 6 months (but isnt really that good). i wasted energy moving too much at first, but in the second round i did better; and landed a few semi-good shots in the 3rd. I got one nice straight right on him, got between his gloves (he lowers his hands too much).
    Thanks for all the encouragement. they said i may be sparring on wednesday again
    Last edited by jberg; 03-24-2008, 05:44 PM.

Hey Harry.

Firstly, anyone who takes advantage of you in your first spar is an *******. It's extremely faux-pas and it won't happen. If it does - you have every right to be pissed off.

As for wearing braces - they will be ok under your gum shield.

Just go in, be confident and enjoy yourself.

Comment

your first spar will only be a round or so i would think. and you will be watched closely IF you are in with anyone who know what they are doing. so you wont get a beating. just chill and get those legs moving!

Comment

Nothing to be worried about, explain to your partner you are only beginning and after you get hit once the jitters are over for sure. Than after your first session you will know whether or not you are a boxer.

good luck

Comment

It is natural man. You'll get a little nervous everytime for a little while.

Your are going to get really nervous because you are going to see the guy you are sparring, and you will see he is much much better than you and you are gonna worry he gonna whoop up on you a bit.

Then you will realize why..... you'll be with someone who is much better because they can have control. You'll work and love it.

Just be mindful to work on what you have learned. You aren't fighting, you are practicing.

You'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyb View Post
            Hey Harry.

Firstly, anyone who takes advantage of you in your first spar is an *******. It's extremely faux-pas and it won't happen. If it does - you have every right to be pissed off.

As for wearing braces - they will be ok under your gum shield.

Just go in, be confident and enjoy yourself.

the only time i get pissed of if when i knew if i put more effort in i could of done better.

Comment

just try your best

Comment

when u fight somebody who has few experience with sparring just like u, u will get more of a beating then when u fight some one who is more experienced. It usualy becomes a slugfest when 2 guys who don't have much experience spar with each other.

Comment

I sparred after 2 weeks You'll be aite. You will only be allowed to throw jabs or just left hands or just not throw and work on defence. It won't be a real spar trust me. But, if it is once ya get hit on the nose and ya eyes water thats when you know you can fight or not.

Good luck tell us how it went!

Comment

thanks guys - really appreciate it.
                    unrelated by the way, in amature 16 year old fights, wat is the likelihood of KO?
                    does it happen much?

Comment

Working...
                    X