No announcement yet.

Advice on losing weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on losing weight

Ever since I was in about 4th grade, I've always been a bigger kid, but over the years I've at times gone up and down a lot. In 7th grade I lost a lost of wright, but eventually put it on, and throughout high school I lost a little bit of fat but put on more muscle. I was always big into weight lifting, but I somehow didn't see my weight drop like I wanted, and then when I joined the boxing club at my school, I stopped lifting weights in order to drop weight.

The highest I remember myself being when I weighed myself at the gym was 264, though I don't remember exactly when it was. I believe it was sometime between September and now. As of right now, I've dropped down to 238, but I still want to drop much more weight. I'm 6'1, and I'm hoping I can get down to about 200 as soon as possible, though I don't want to have to go the David Haye route and lose 14 pounds in 2 days.

Being that everyone on here usually gives constructive criticism and good advice on losing weight, I wanted to know what you guys think I should do in order to drop weight effectively and fast. My workout usually consists of (non-Boxing Club days):

1. An hour on the tredmill, where I have a slight warm-up and run for a half-hour straight increasing speed and incline accordingly, and by the end of the workout I burn somewhere between 800-850 calories depending on if I run longer/how I feel.
    2. 3-5 rounds on the speed bag (the gym has a boxing studio). I time it by the song lengths, which are usually longer than 3 minutes.
    3. 1-4 rounds on the Heavy Bag, again timed by songs.
    4. Sometimes, jump rope/shadowboxing with bands/regular shadowboxing/double end bag.

On days I work out with the club, we usually start with a pretty intense conditioning dril that varies according to the day, do rounds on the mitts, shadowbox, jump rope, pushups, different tactical drills and sometimes sparring.

post some things about your diet, age, etc. and you will probably get better advice

Comment

Lipozene man

Comment

Originally posted by dfwtx View Post
        post some things about your diet, age, etc. and you will probably get better advice
        yea i agree, especially your diet. Thats the biggest aspect of losing weight. What do you eat on a daily basis? What times?

Comment

The times really vary because I'm a student, like I usually eat around 12:30 on tuesdays and Thursdays, around 3 on Mon, Wed and Friday, dont eat breakfast because I get up and basically go right to class. The main line in the dining common is usually pretty good, they have lots of fish and chicken that I eat whenever its there. Sometimes they have things like stuffed shells, mac and cheese, which I try to avoid as much as possible. Last night for dinner I had some mashed potatoes, corn, and one breast of chicken which didnt deem to be too too bad.

They have sandwich lines but I don't usually get them, but it's probably something I should look into being that they do have Tuna, roast beef, etc. What would you guys recommend for sandwiches and things like that? Also, they usually have grilled chicken that I either eat separately from anything, or cut up two pieces and make a salad.

Random things I have include: Cereal (usually cheerios with skim milk and a cut up banana)
          Two pieces of what toast, one w/ peanut butter and one w/ jelly.

I usually try to stay away from burgers and things like that, but sometimes the time I eat can **** with that since the main line stops serving at 2 and doesn't start again until 5 so basically the only thing I could get is grilled chicken, pasta or a burger.

Comment

eat small amounts evry 2-3 hrs.

whole grains. whole wheat. skim milk.. high protein low carb..

lots of cardio..

dont eat too close to time you go to bed..

Comment

rule # 1, always eat breakfast. Your body is already in starvation mode by the time you eat at lunch time since your last meal was at night. You are suppose to eat every 2-3 hours so if your last meal was dinner you are LONG over time . Your body is using muscle for fuel, not fat.

breakfast at 7am (or so) porridge, low fat milk, cereals etc.
              snack at 10am (sandwich) bring it to school or work, made of whole wheat bread with tuna - no mayo)
              lunch 12.30 - brown rice, potato, wheat bread with grilled chicken, fish veggies.
              4pm - snack ( i would eat the same as morning snack)
              7pm - dinner, grillled low far meat with lots of veggies, no more carbs.
              10pm - cottage cheese, high protein, low fat. (this is a slow digestive protein so good for at night)

Diet is 70% of weight loss or gain, exercise will just speed it up more.

Never under eat, super low calories diets don't work. You lose muscle not fat, you don't have energy to do anything.

When you try a diet, try it for at least 3 days so you know exactly what works and what not, meaning eat 3 days the exact same food, don't mix it up or you will always be guessing what works and what not.

As i suggested in before, take a look at www.bodybuilding.com at the nutrition forum, these guys know their diets...

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by DutchDynamite View Post
                rule # 1, always eat breakfast. Your body is already in starvation mode by the time you eat at lunch time since your last meal was at night. You are suppose to eat every 2-3 hours so if your last meal was dinner you are LONG over time . Your body is using muscle for fuel, not fat.

breakfast at 7am (or so) porridge, low fat milk, cereals etc.
                snack at 10am (sandwich) bring it to school or work, made of whole wheat bread with tuna - no mayo)
                lunch 12.30 - brown rice, potato, wheat bread with grilled chicken, fish veggies.
                4pm - snack ( i would eat the same as morning snack)
                7pm - dinner, grillled low far meat with lots of veggies, no more carbs.
                10pm - cottage cheese, high protein, low fat. (this is a slow digestive protein so good for at night)

Diet is 70% of weight loss or gain, exercise will just speed it up more.

Never under eat, super low calories diets don't work. You lose muscle not fat, you don't have energy to do anything.

When you try a diet, try it for at least 3 days so you know exactly what works and what not, meaning eat 3 days the exact same food, don't mix it up or you will always be guessing what works and what not.

As i suggested in before, take a look at www.bodybuilding.com at the nutrition forum, these guys know their diets...

good luck
                great advice here, make sure to ditch things like mayo with 100% calories from fat

Comment

I noticed you mentioned peanut butter not a good thing to eat if you want to lose weight or the jelly.

I always feel like you can eat what you want within reason and put in extra work if you screw up, but like everyone mentioned if you dont eat you body will store the fat because it will go into survial mode..also dont eat after 7 or before bed.

Comment

Just to let you know.....kraft real mayo has quit using partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (trans Fats) a small amount of this is actually good for you...almost like using olive oil......This is a fact...check the label for poly and mono unsaturated fats...these are omega 3's, good fats.....

MSG (mono sodium glutamate) is a preservative widely ised in processed foods....probably what you are eating at school....this stuff will make you retain a lot of water, elevate your blood pressure, make you fat and increase the possibility of diabetes.....

Comment

Working...
                    X