Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bench press v. speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say lift but do pyramids like ol' boy said. I'm about a buck 30 and very fast naturally, when I went into the gym I quickly realized that overall power was very necessary. Don't short yourself on power just to be fast because you will regret it.

In a fight power will be your best friend, even if you miss your opponent the power of your strikes will demand respect. Also I'd like to add the I've noticed that speed is often in positioning because it doesn't matter how fast your hands are if your feet are planted ...... work on angles and your speed will seem to increase even if it's not all in your hands.

Do you want to be a fighter that hopes for the long decision or a fighter that dominates and intimidates his opponents with the punches the block ? Make sure you shadow box before you lift and stretch as often as possible..... you shouldn't lose any noticable amount of speed. Everything lost will be compensated with power and hopefully accuracy.

Just my 2 cents ..... you have to be able to hold your ground..... speed just makes it so you don't have to as often.

Regular Joe .... No Pro take it for what it is

Comment

Thanks my current trainer, who is different from my first trainer, focuses a lot on Plyo/Calisthenics exercises for that explosive power and speed. So far I feel a difference but haven't been doing them enough to see the difference yet. But Its an adrenaline rush like no other I hope results that I am looking for are soon to follow.

Comment

Bench press is ok, I guess, but me thinks you should concentrate more on squats, dealifts and shinups/pull ups.

Comment

power cleans and other powerlifts help increase explosive power and this applies alot for grappling but the increase in strength will likely cross over to boxing as well

Comment

Bomber, skilgannon, thank you both for the input

Comment

Working...
            X