No announcement yet.

What to do with your thumb when punching

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with your thumb when punching

Obviously when your making a fist with a bare hand you bend the thumb under the joints.

But when wearing a glove, is this necessary? I mean, the way the glove is, you can't bend the thumb that much as it is. Whenever I do it long enough my palm starts to cramp up.

So my question is is it OK to relax your thumb (i.e. leave it sticking straight out) when punching? It doesn't protrude out or anything, the knuckle part still sticks out further

umm you obviously dont know what youre talking about. you never bend your thumb under your joints when you make a fist. have you ever made a fist?

Comment

if you mean put your thumb into the fist have fun with that broken thumb, and for the glove just clinch it in where its meant to be

Comment

Honestly this is the first time i've heard anyone ask this question. But in answering your question. when you put your gloves on just make a fist as if your gonna hit something without a glove on. that's probably the best answer you could get.

Comment

this is what i mean.

When you make a fist without a glove, this is what you do:

Now when you put on gloves (these are the ones i use), my question is is it necessary to try to bend your thumb as much as you can, or is it enough to just relax it as the shape of the thumb in the glove is curved enough:

Whenever i try to "tuck in" my thumb as much as possible (as if i'm making a fist w/o a glove) my palm starts to cramp. I was wondering if its OK to just clench the 4 fingers, and rest the thumb
          Last edited by ExecutiveOutlaw; 01-29-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

well you shouldnt be doing anything unnatural. just make a fist and dont try to do anything special with your thumb. whatever happens when your making a fist with your glove on, thats what it should be and you shouldnt have to adapt any ways or change the way you make a fist. and you shouldnt constantly be clenching your fists. only when you are throwing a punch should you really clench them, when you are just bouncing or defending you should be relaxed and thus not clenching your fists.

Comment

this may help

prior to throwing a punch have your hand a little open and and relaxed as you start to throw a punch squeeze and at impact SQUEEZE

Think of holding an eggin your hand inside the glove and on impact squeeze the **** out of the egg, this engages your t****zius muscle and will drop people like flies...

Comment

Just been googling this as well after reading about it in a book a Joe Louis book

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...20side&f=false
                Good vid this as well worth a watch so is the youtube channel

Comment

Working...
                X