No announcement yet.

Which boxers admitedly lift?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big paulie View Post
    I've always been lead to believe Tyson didnt start lifting until the mid 90s, particularly from the Botha fight onwards, i'm old school, weights ar'nt for boxers
    i heard this from one of the guys training him as he was coming up in the 80's with Cus. Nelson Cuevas.

Comment

At age 15 tyson could been 220 pounds over 10 times. Cus just wanted to see hwo strong he really was. He was 190 pounds of solid muscle. After that Tyson didnt lift, He only started lifting after prison. This is easy to see, he developed a new form of muscle.

I life and have gotten stronger, and it hasn't affected my speed, however I do punch the same Im told, I'm just physically stronger in a clinch. I do high reps, and not heavy training. That only results in injury.

Comment

lol, i heard it from the trainers mouth.

Comment

A lot of fighters are lifting weights correctly these days. David Haye has a great strength/conditioning coach who helped him beat Mormeck. Trainers and fighters are finally realizing how strength training enhances a fighters performance.

Again gentleman, strength training is a must, as you must have a good strength base to build speed and power from. Lifting heavy weights without speed/power training can make you slow. Speed/power training increases the RFD ( rate of force production ) the more explosive you are.

Strength training is a must to avoid injuries, using corrective exercises.

Iron Mike was such a genetically gifted fighter( he's predominately fast twitch ) that he was born with speed and power and strength came easy to him. That obviously erod3d after he started disrespecting himself and the sport.

The biggest misconception people have is they think lifting weights is lifting like a body builder which is bull ****! You strength train according to your needs, do you need maximal strength, speed, power, endurance, power endurance, etc. This determines how the strength program is designed.

Sorry for the rant but it really bothers me on how strength training is sorely misunderstood.

I talked with and then interviewed Mackie Shilstone who was the strength/conditioning trainer for Michael Spinks when he beat Larry Holmes for the heavyweight title, Riddick Bowe for his win over Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr. moving up and beating Ruiz for the heavyweight crown, Bernard Hopkins for his move up to light heavy and beating light heavyweight champ Tarver. For Roy and Bernard he had add muscle for their move up and he did it by NOT sacrificing speed and performance.

That's what you call proof in the pudding.

Rob Pilger
          www.boxingperformance.com

Comment

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html

Read this well worth your time, regarding weights in boxing S + C.

Comment

IMO weights are okay if u dont aquirre to much lean muscle that restricts your movement ,i used to weight train but luckily enough for me my muscle was 'nt tight where it resticted my movement so when i got the excess weight off & shed the muscle i had built & got down in weight to a relative fighting weight i felt stronger & quicker & my stamina was oaky

if u are gonna rip up real bad it will probably hinder your movement & stamina ,dont forget the harder u punch the more energy it saps from u ,weight training can improve your puncing power IMO but it wont make Make say a Maligniaggi into a Ricardo Torres

Comment

Working...
              X