Which boxers admitedly lift?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nedcmk1 View Post
    "PS: for YEARS tyson never picked up a weight other than for calistenics."

I heard this is a myth. Tyson didn't lift as a child but he was lifting early in his pro career. The story was he laid down and benched 220 on his first day lifting or something like that. I overheard this from Nelson Cuevas who was with Cus since the 60's forst as a fighter, then as a trainer and cutman. worked with tyson, shavers, ect...
    you could very well be right...

I just heard he did not get really into the weights until the early 90's

Comment

When i posted my numbers i posted in response to Shanes number and detroit asking how much punch could put up... 300 isnt a huge number for someone over 150lbs

Comment

I think anyone who can bench 2x their weight is doing very well....its almost a pinnacle of strength.....it took me a long time before I got over 300lbs on the bench and I weighed 225 before I could do it...I weigh 260 now and If i had to guess i would probably max out between 440 & 460lbs on the bench for a 1 rep max......

But if you weigh 180lbs and can bench 300lbs you are definitely in an elite class especially if you are natural and dont mess around with juice....

Have any of you guys ever seen the NFL combine where they just rep out 225lbs?????

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit101 View Post
          I think anyone who can bench 2x their weight is doing very well....its almost a pinnacle of strength.....it took me a long time before I got over 300lbs on the bench and I weighed 225 before I could do it...I weigh 260 now and If i had to guess i would probably max out between 440 & 460lbs on the bench for a 1 rep max......

But if you weigh 180lbs and can bench 300lbs you are definitely in an elite class especially if you are natural and dont mess around with juice....

Have any of you guys ever seen the NFL combine where they just rep out 225lbs?????
          Good post.

Anyone who can put up 300lb is a very strong man. Regardless of weight (relativly speaking) especially if you dont lift on regular basis.

Bottom line is that your average man will not put up his own body weight.

I heard of the NFL thing when I was reading up on Igor Olshansky.

Only thing I can put up 25x is 130 lol

Comment

I started doing a lot of drop sets about a year ago and when I started repping out 225, I could only do it 19 times.....Now I have got it up to 37 times....I have also had an olympic powerlifter tell me once that he didnt lift using high reps because it would make the tendons too pliable, stretchy and weak....as opposed to lifting heavy all the time which would make them stronger and more rigid...I dont know if this is true but I can see where there may be merit. This guy never did steroids and was able to bench 700lbs+ without a vest....

This may sound quite ridiculous but, The first thing you need to do if want to become stronger is to believe that you are stronger....its funny how much your mind controls your body....and/or sometimes hold it back!

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit101 View Post
              I started doing a lot of drop sets about a year ago and when I started repping out 225, I could only do it 19 times.....Now I have got it up to 37 times....I have also had an olympic powerlifter tell me once that he didnt lift using high reps because it would make the tendons too pliable, stretchy and weak....as opposed to lifting heavy all the time which would make them stronger and more rigid...I dont know if this is true but I can see where there may be merit. This guy never did steroids and was able to bench 700lbs+ without a vest....

This may sound quite ridiculous but, The first thing you need to do if want to become stronger is to believe that you are stronger....its funny how much your mind controls your body....and/or sometimes hold it back!
              Damn d00de so you can 225 37x straight?

Like you lay on the bench and lift 225 37 times withouht a break?

damn, gotta respect that.

Comment

Originally posted by nedcmk1 View Post
                Punch... you could def put up better squat numbers than that if you are 300 on your deads, but nice numbers.

300 is a respectable squat or dead, but it isnt a high number. my 1rm squat is 305, and dead 345 at 155lbs and im not a super strong guy anyways.
                Yeah, I should be able to squat more. I guess I'm not as balanced as I could be. I've been concentrating on my fighters the past few years, so I've been neglegting my own training.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukr_Alex View Post
                  Damn d00de so you can 225 37x straight?

Like you lay on the bench and lift 225 37 times withouht a break?

damn, gotta respect that.
                  Yeah.... Ive saw a guy on youtube put 225 up like 50 times, and he was a school teacher....Brady Quinn did it 22 times for the combine...

I noticed significant increases in strength mostly from drop sets....in all areas, not just bench....when I began to do high rep / low rest routines for some reason my body responded much better than anything else i had done in the past...
                  Last edited by Detroit101; 01-28-2008, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
                    Haha, I don't get anywhere near those numbers, if that's what you're asking. But then, I'm no Shane Mosley.

I don't lift much anymore, I prefer spending my time on my fighters these days.
                    I probably deadlift around 300lbs for a 1RM, squat 220ish, and bench 200. I'm 5'9", 150lbs, so it's nothing impressive. Those are my true stats, though, no internet tough guy embellishments here.
                    So you train boxers? What do you think about drop sets???

Comment

Originally posted by danny stash View Post
                      you could very well be right...

I just heard he did not get really into the weights until the early 90's
                      I've always been lead to believe Tyson didnt start lifting until the mid 90s, particularly from the Botha fight onwards, i'm old school, weights ar'nt for boxers

Comment

Working...
                      X