No announcement yet.

James Toney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
    When your guard is down you get hit more easily. Did you happen to notice that the brain-dead Arturo Gatti was trying to use the ****ed up, phony, philly style against Floyd Mayweather? Mayweather hit him at will. If Gatti had kept his guard up where it belongs he still wouldn't have won but at least he wouldn't have made it soon easy for Mayweather to turn his face into hamburger.

Pavlik throws punches in bunches and most of them come straight down the middle hard and fast. If he misses your head he will hit your shoulder if you present it to him. Pavlik is clever enough to throw the right more frequently when the left glove is guarding the waist band. That is how Jermain Taylor got himself knocked out. Taylor may not have been using the ****ed up, phony, philly style, but the end result was just the same.

for your info, mayweather uses this style too so it is natural for him to know how to exploit it. gatti using this stance against floyd was so wrong because floyd does the same thing much better than gatti

Comment

The philly shell also requires god gifted talent and natural ability. James Tony and PBF have fantastic peripheral vision, which allows them to use the philly shell against top opponents.

Comment

thanks guys,

I might not be mayweather or toney but I'm not facing pavlik etc, so no need to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstranger View Post
          The philly shell also requires god gifted talent and natural ability. James Tony and PBF have fantastic peripheral vision, which allows them to use the philly shell against top opponents.
          Yes, this is very true. Unless you're very naturally talented and gifted in the physical department it just ain't going to work too well for you. You have to do it for a long, long time so it is completely second nature. It is not something you can really learn for a while and expect to use it quickly. It is the hardest method to perfect but if you've got the time, motivation, natural skills and willingness to get hit a lot while using it to perfect it, it could work. Find what works for your body and natural skills.

Potatoes: That is the most ridiculous example of someone using the 'Philly Shell'. Neither Taylor or Gatti use it. Just having your left hand down doesn't mean ****! That is more so you can throw the jab from your waist. Got nothing to do with style. Someone proficient at it, like Toney, would take Pavlik to school without getting hit once I'm afraid.

Comment

James Toney is the only boxer who get comfortable at the ropes and would rather fight on the ropes rather than middle of the ring

Comment

watch some of the prime chris byrd's fights, he doesn't quite use the philly shell to the level of toney or mayweather, but the prime byrd was a master of slipping shots, he could stand right in front of u and still make u miss

Comment

hello i'm kind of new at boxing. Could you please tell me more about the philly shell. what are the basics of the Philly Shell style defense? what is it that makes it effective when used properly?

Comment

Working...
                X