No announcement yet.

Stamina Training Theory -- for the Experts, Please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    But it does. You can't isolate your lungs from the rest of your body. They react to what your body is doing, and there's a big difference between running and boxing. His lungs are reacting that way because his arms (as well as the rest of the body of cours, but to a larger extent than when running) working, burning up the oxygen he's breathing in.

Try getting a world class runner (sprinter or long distance) to last 3 minutes in the ring, doing intensive work. I'm not talking about skill wise, just stamina. It's just not gonna happen. Have one of those guys moving around a ring, throwing punches, they'll be dead on the floor in less than a minute. Why? Because it DOES matter how you "train your lungs."

Besides, training your lungs is not gonna cut it for boxing, because boxing is 80% anaerobic, which means that the only time you're doing aerobic wrok in the ring is basically between rounds, getting your wind back, restoring ATP in the muscle. If your arms aren't condtioned to do that, they won't recover, and you'll remain winded. So no, you're not just training your lungs, they're just a small part of what's going on (although a big part of what you FEEL, when working).
    Agree 100%. Nice post.

Do you have a degree in sports med or keniesology?

Comment

It could be mental also, which won't necessarily explain how your stamina lasts as long with running as it does for flurries, but a large portion of it could be your mental state.
      And it happens; just look at many pros who are winded after doing flurries. Taylor for instance against Pavlik (bad example or not, thats up in the air but its true).

Comment

if your friend knows, ask him to teach you breathing exercises and proper deep breathing which will increase air intake and oxygenation efficiency.

Comment

one more thing, learn to relax. i mean really relax and use minimal amount of effort for the particular activity. efficiency is something i study and preach.

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post
            if your friend knows, ask him to teach you breathing exercises and proper deep breathing which will increase air intake and oxygenation efficiency.
            My wife is an opera singer, and has instructed me on diaphragmatic breathing, which was the first thing my buddy recommended and which I used to do a long time ago when running but forgot about for about 15 years.

I have trouble doing diaphragmatic breathing in the ring; getting hit in the body with my stomach relaxed really sucks. I have to charge in, throw a few, then get distance and breathe.

Comment

Punch Mitts and Punch Shield

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
              Alright. I fight really well when I put on the pressure, but I can't seem to hold it for more than 15-20 seconds.

I was thinking that this was my breathing, but I was talking to a buddy of mine who is an athletic trainer, and he spotted the following hole in my training......

..........wait for it.......

........ hill runs.

Stick with me on this.

He thinks that my legs are giving out on my hill run before my lungs can really get a good workout. So I can keep a decent pace in the ring but I can't flurry for very long.

So starting a few days ago, I quit the morning hill run (1.5 miles down a long hill, some stretching at the bottom, then running back up), and went instead to the community college track and started doing sprints inthe mornings. A quarter-mile at a nice slow pace, then some more stretching, then about 15 minutes of 100-meter and as of this morning, a few 200-meter sprints.

What's interesting is, when I started, I found I could sprint balls-out for almost EXACTLY as long as I can flurry: about 20 seconds. And at the end of it I feel EXACTLY the way I feel when I gas out at the end of a long pressure attack.

It's been four days and I'm now up to 34 seconds as my longest sprint. A full 200 meters. This is a definite improvement in a very short time.

I am going to do sprints for the next 4 weeks and see if, when I've gotten up to, say, a 60-second sprint, if I can do a 60-second flurry, as well.

If I could, theoretically, work up to a 3-minute sprint, I should be able to press the attack for the full round, which is what I'm going for in the long run.

Trainers and fighters ONLY, please, comment on this idea before I kill myself trying.

What works best for me in increasing my stamina is several rounds of punch mitts and punch shield. throws a few hundred punches per round and try to constantly be throwing for the entire round....You'll need someone who is good at giving you mitts.....with the shield throw continuous hard power punches....try 3 rounds of each and increase the rounds as you gain more stamina.....add this to your work out...This should help you throw more punches during your fights and sparring......

Comment

Sorry cuz Im no expert but Ive been doing 'the magic 50" from rosstraining.com twice a week along with my other workouts and it WILL help immensely. Just try it once at least and you'll see how great it is for conditioning. Just be sure to go all out.

Since I started doing it twice a week EVERYTHING is easier. The Magic 50 was designed for boxers so its not just some stupid workout.

Seriously.....try it try it

Comment

Working...
                X