Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swimming as a conditioning for boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming as a conditioning for boxing?

i heard that swimming is very good for a person's conditioning. I can't swim AT ALL and I heard that a high level MMA fighter said that swimming helped him make weight. Is swimming good for conditioning for wannabe fighters like myself?

i would think so, its twice the resistance in water than on land

Comment

Lightweight champion juan diaz swims all the time and his stamina is one of the best in boxing. It builds great stamina as evident in diaz but it does not burn fat as good as running does also evident in juan diaz as he's chubby.
      I'd say mix it up beetween running and swiming to get the best results.

Comment

It burns an insane amount of energy (calories) if your swimming in cold water becuase your exercising and your body needs to create heat at the same time.Swimming basically has the same effect on your body as boxing becuase your constantly using every muscle in your body.Personally I noticed a great increase in aerobic stamina when I started swimming during the summertime.And constantly swim breast stroke it targets chest,shoulders,and core all the muscles that will increase punching power.

Comment

Sounds good fellas

No1: so its not good for fat burning... I need to trim down about 20 LBS, but it sounds like its worth it. its also good to hear a champion fighter that swims. Juan Diaz = future undisputed 135

floydfan: would you consider less running and more swimming because of the water resistance provided by swimming? or should it be 50-50?

I run every other day, but I need something different in my routine. The pool at the apartments I live at is not a big/ Olympic size, but I guess its better then nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Dee View Post
            Sounds good fellas

No1: so its not good for fat burning... I need to trim down about 20 LBS, but it sounds like its worth it. its also good to hear a champion fighter that swims. Juan Diaz = future undisputed 135

floydfan: would you consider less running and more swimming because of the water resistance provided by swimming? or should it be 50-50?

I run every other day, but I need something different in my routine. The pool at the apartments I live at is not a big/ Olympic size, but I guess its better then nothing...
            I read somewhere that juan diaz only swims and uses the stair master machine and does not run at all.
            Oh and any size pools enough as long your actually swimming.

Comment

Swimming is BRILLIANT for fat burning/dropping weight. Somebody's using Diaz as an example but we have no idea how hard/far/often he swims so you cant really use that as an example.

Start swimming alot and do alot of running also. Watch your stamina rise and your body weight drop at the same time. You'll feel great and you'll love it.

Comment

swimming is also low impact...... good news for your knees and ankles.

Comment

Originally posted by nedcmk1 View Post
                  swimming is also low impact...... good news for your knees and ankles.
                  And you dont sweat and get to see girls in their swim suits

EVERYBODY WINS

Comment

If your needing to drop weight do some reasearch on weight loss.No matter how many times its been said nobody grasps the concept of taking in less calories then you burn.It doesnt matter how your burn those calories it could be playing dance dance revoultion or boxing training you need to find how many calories your body needs to maintain weight then lower it by 500 calories that guarantees a minimum of a one pound fat lost each week.

Comment

Working...
                    X