Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

post-workout nutrition? new to boxing here..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what his trainer meant was eat whatever you want, but eat senseably. He just started training and is new to boxing. Right now is in a big change with training all the time and getting into something new.

The last thing the trainer wants him to do is go all Rambo and eat like he is Ricky Hatton trying to shed 60 lbs, letting it comsume his life (boxing) and quit after 3 months. (which is probly what most people do)

Eat whatever you want, but eat sensibly. When you adjust to training adjust your diet accordingly. but take it in steps and do not burn yourself out.

Also look other places for nutritional advice than internet forums. Boxing, Grappling, and MMA training forums are usually 50/50 full of myths and bad advice, and 50% good advice.Forums are extremely helpful, but take all advice with a grain of salt.

Some good recources for nutrition are, "The Grapplers Guide to Sports Nutrition", "becoming Vegetarian" (not to become veggie, but the book is a wealth of nutritional knowledge), also check our www.rosstraining.com and www.rossboxing.com for some GREAT nutritional articles.

For free information Dr. John Berardi is the man. His article "the 7 habits of highly effective nutritional programs" is awesome, and easy. here is the link it is free.... http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...on/7habits.htm

Comment

Originally posted by nedcmk1 View Post
      I think what his trainer meant was eat whatever you want, but eat senseably. He just started training and is new to boxing. Right now is in a big change with training all the time and getting into something new.

The last thing the trainer wants him to do is go all Rambo and eat like he is Ricky Hatton trying to shed 60 lbs, letting it comsume his life (boxing) and quit after 3 months. (which is probly what most people do)

Eat whatever you want, but eat sensibly. When you adjust to training adjust your diet accordingly. but take it in steps and do not burn yourself out.

Also look other places for nutritional advice than internet forums. Boxing, Grappling, and MMA training forums are usually 50/50 full of myths and bad advice, and 50% good advice.Forums are extremely helpful, but take all advice with a grain of salt.

Some good recources for nutrition are, "The Grapplers Guide to Sports Nutrition", "becoming Vegetarian" (not to become veggie, but the book is a wealth of nutritional knowledge), also check our www.rosstraining.com and www.rossboxing.com for some GREAT nutritional articles.

For free information Dr. John Berardi is the man. His article "the 7 habits of highly effective nutritional programs" is awesome, and easy. here is the link it is free.... http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...on/7habits.htm
      i dont know if that quoted what you said dudeman, but to answer your question yes wholeweat pasta and rice, couscous potatoes and bread are good sources of carbohydrates, but again im going to go to my old days of bodybuilding for this.

you eat more calories than you burn + your body needs everyday, you gain weight. you eat less than the total calories you burn and your body needs, you lose weight.

thing is fighters dont want to be as big as possible, and often have a certain weight they dont want to stray from. so in a day a 150pound fighter will eat 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound bodyweight in order to fill his need for protein to repair and grow new muscle.

now, although carbs are NEEDED in order to fill out the bodys calorie need, and keep you healthy, and use the protein you ate to actually make muscle, the more amount of carbs you eat will have a large role in how much weight you will gain. if you want to just repair the damage you did to your muscles in training, and gain really small ripped, tight defined muscles, then watch carefully your carb intake.

if however you want to gain asmuch mass as possible, than eat like a monster, or take 2006 mr. olympia winner jay cutler's advice "eat more carbs in a day than you do protein" (dont ever eat less than 1 - 1.5 grams protein pr pound bodyweight a day, even if you dont workout)

that post was a mission, but nutrition is one of the most underestimated and overlooked things in life in my opinion so there you go.

by the way there are calories in all food, but never forget about the QUALITY of calories, a slice of pizza and a handful of wholeweat pasta may have exactly the same amount of calories in them, but do you think they are the same for your body?

here is a picture of jay cutler so you can get an idea of the amount of protein and carbs he needs to eat everyday (and steroids)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar View Post
        Thats great dedication. The blueprint for success. I know what i need to do but i fall short sometimes. So really how much has your body, performance and even mental state changed? B/c that sounds like a complete 180, if you dropped 35 lbs that fast. Im guessing you were out of shape before. Also you really train hard 7 days a week without anytime off?
        I did train hard 7 days a week, for about 6 months. I would usually take Sundays "light," but not "off" -- I'd maybe do light weights / high reps or just hit the elliptical if it was a weights day -- also I should note, I was only doing compound lifts: squat, clean, and deadlift -- and on Sundays I wouldn't spar if it was a boxing day. My mental state was and is fantastic; it's nice knowing I have the willpower to do it. My body, well -- I've posted this pic before, but I'm proud of it:

This was the first six months on that diet and exercise program. It's been a year since then, and I'm in pretty damn good shape these days, if I may say. I still eat well, but I have one day a week, sometimes two, when I go off the diet and eat something "bad." My wife is a gourmet cook; who am I to deny her? I box 2-3 days a week, and do calisthenics and roadwork 3-4 days a week. My day job is also intensely physical. I'm holding at 168 lbs. right now, at 5'9".

Comment

The answer is not a diet but a way to eat healthy and live your supposed to eat to live not live to eat so don't follow A diet just stick to eating healthy things like.

fruits
          Chicken
          Turkey
          Fish
          Vegetables
          Water

That is pretty much what my menu consists of....Best advice to give is to stay away from any kind of beverages EXCEPT water. Eat your fruits in the morning preferably not even at all due to the sugar content. Go with LEAN cut meats no red meat either just white (turkey/chicken/fish).

Gorge on vegetables...In my lunches, I usually have a salad however I will pack together a green pepper and some baby carrots as a snack.

Just keep it clean, no processed foods...If it is in a bag throw it out...Make it all NATURAL. White meats/vegetables/fruits...And PLENTY of water...Drink about 8 servings of water a day (about 16.9oz to 20oz)

I also incorporate whey protein in my diet....NO MILK!

That is really about it, A lot of people have their own ways of eating, some will say eat potatos and bread. However I cannot it makes me slow and sluggish....

Just keep it natural and stick w/ the basics is my best tip for you.

Comment

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
            So what about calories, or macronutrient ratios, or any number of other things that I’ve covered in other articles? The short answer is that if you aren’t already practicing the above-mentioned habits, and by practicing them I mean putting them to use over 90% of the time (i.e., no more than 4 meals out of an average 42 meals per week violate any of those rules), everything else is pretty pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by nedcmk1 View Post
              1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
              So what about calories, or macronutrient ratios, or any number of other things that I’ve covered in other articles? The short answer is that if you aren’t already practicing the above-mentioned habits, and by practicing them I mean putting them to use over 90% of the time (i.e., no more than 4 meals out of an average 42 meals per week violate any of those rules), everything else is pretty pointless.
              ^^^^ This is awesome advice. K comin' your way, ned. I prefer to take in about 10% fat and keep saturated fats down, but I'm way older than most of you and I have cholesterol and blood pressure to worry about, plus I don't burn fat as effectively as you might.

I want to add to #6: Black coffee has no calories and has been shown to have powerful antioxidant properties. Green tea is still probably better for you, but I hate the taste of unsweetened green tea.

Comment

Working...
              X