• Show
Clear All

• Drinking before a fight

Does anyone else like to down a few pints before a fight

haha your joking right?

Comment

Originally posted by Salty View Post
      haha your joking right?
      No. I like to have a few pints before a fight. Normally Stella or a strong cider like White Ace

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
        yes he is jokeing hes an alt
        I'm not an alt, I'm Tony Booth. And I like to drink a couple of pints before a fight.

Comment

did you drink before 99 of your fights by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by -AZZA- View Post
            did you drink before 99 of your fights by any chance?
            No. I drank before the 50 I won.

Comment

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...4216&cat=boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Booth View Post
                Does anyone else like to down a few pints before a fight
                Im going against orthodox thinking here, but sometimes a drink can help. Not beer, i mean brandy or cognac. If i may remind some of the older patrons of boxing, alcohol was used as a medicinal aid in the bare knuckle boxing arenas and in the prize rings of old especially before the Marquis of Queensbury came along. For example, if you took a shot to the body, you would drink brandy as it would increase your heart rate, kill the pain and keep you going. I can't say i've ever started drinking before training or a fight, but..... i don't know, what do the rest of you think?

Comment

Originally posted by mightymouse2k View Post
                  Im going against orthodox thinking here, but sometimes a drink can help. Not beer, i mean brandy or cognac. If i may remind some of the older patrons of boxing, alcohol was used as a medicinal aid in the bare knuckle boxing arenas and in the prize rings of old especially before the Marquis of Queensbury came along. For example, if you took a shot to the body, you would drink brandy as it would increase your heart rate, kill the pain and keep you going. I can't say i've ever started drinking before training or a fight, but..... i don't know, what do the rest of you think?
                  Firstly Tony Booth in an alt trying to cause trouble.

Secondly, i agree that in the past many professional boxers have had a drink for dutch courage. I remember hearing that Jake La Motta went into one of his many fights with Ray Robinson slightly tipsy, with the notion that "its hard to knock out a drunk man". I don't know if its true, but i've also heard on this board that some amatuers have had a nip of whiskey or something before they ventured between the ropes.

Either way - its bad. If you have a drink before you fight, eventually your gonna think you need a drink before EVERY fight.

Tony Booth is suggesting you get pissed on the day, which is just ****ing ridiculous. Go in unco-ordinated, drowsy and with every potential of puking up cos of a belly full of ale? Don't be silly. Most people won't even drink the day before they go to work, nevermind on the actual day.

Comment

Working...
                  X