No announcement yet.

A couple questions for those who have read Dempsey's book

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions for those who have read Dempsey's book

I recently started reading Jack Dempsey's "Championship Fighting". He does a good job of explaining things with pictures and such but I don't quite understand some of his concepts.

One of the first techniques he describes is the "falling step". Is my punch supposed to land as my foot is in the air, or should it land just after my foot hits the ground? Also, the falling step feels incredibly awkward with a lead right, any advice on that?

Also Dempsey describes the "corkscrew punch", which is some sort of hook but I don't really understand how to throw it.

Lastly, it seems like alot of the stuff he says in the book could be a bit outdated . Are some of the things he says boxing antiquities, or are they all tried and true methods on how to punch/defend?

with the falling step it shold connect just before your foot hits the ground, that way you weight is incorporated in the blow.

i find the straight right feels more natural if it is coming in at a slight angle (from the right of your body to the centre)

the corkscrew is a hook but it is a very quick snappy hook that looks like a jab until it lands, i can;t really explain it beter than dempsey can.

if your looking for a book to tell you how to hit hard you cannot do better!

Comment

cool that helps alot thanks man

Comment

Working...
      X