Collapse
No announcement yet.

heavyweight help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im jogging 5 miles, not walking and i usually run 2-3 miles 3 times a week in the morning, and ill do 5 miles once a week, and spar twice a week usually 3-4 rounds

Comment

1st of all, bench is uneffective in boxing. pushups on the other hand, aren't.

you got some of the ugliest hooks ive ever seen. uppercuts are garbage. you got a decent jab though and you don't **** the right hand. that's real good.

hey just work on shortening up those hooks a lil bit. when you throw that lead left hook, it really is too wide and lazy. crouch down a lil, dig into the earth with your feet and keep that left elbow bent at a 90 degree angle, dont let it loosen up into a wide ass shot. get in close and fire that ****er off at short range and twist your abs into it.and if you're throwin a left hook your left foot should be going thru the motion of putting out a cigarette in clockwise fashion .

and mix it up on the bag, dont throw single hook shots, throw a left hook and then come right back with the cross, or after the cross throw a left hook.

as for weight loss when i started last may i weighed about 320

down to 245 right now

youre doin good
      Last edited by SquareCircle; 03-30-2007, 03:13 AM.

Comment

here's a little suggestion

since you're 5'11 and a heavyweight, you need to get those hooks up to par...cuz if you ever do decide to fight, at that height, you're gonna be goin up against guys who make me look small, and im 6'4. Guys that size are just gonna keep you on the outside punching down on you with their jab. you'll need to put your hands up and advance quickly, throwing hooks to the body and head once you get inside, to get over on taller hw's.

Comment

and btw what state is that, illinois?

Comment

naw im from cali, yea that was actually for a film project, my hook is a lot more conservative now, my coach spent a whole day with me perfecting the straight line left hook, and im really 6'0 but i crouch a lot when i fight and i jus like sayin im under 6'0 so ppl get a big head when they fight me, but yeah for a while now i've been practicing on how to fight upward in a sense, and yea i hate watchin that film cuz i did it in hurry for class, but its the only film i have of my self, my uppercuts start a lot lower and come more from my body, but yeah that jabs is usually what ends up saving me, thanx a lot for the tips man

Comment

Im not trying too be an ******* or anything bro. I give you credit for trying, but I think you shouldnt be worrying about the pros yet man. That video was awful. You need to work on ALOT of things, and like me your not in shape at heavy. I would like to fight at heavy but I would have fat on me. Id be all muscle at 175 and in great shape at crusier were Im tryin to go now. You can definatly lose enough to get down to crusierweight.

You were throwing only arm punches, no speed, no power, akward and very little footwork, no head movement, no good combos, horrible hooks, no defense, you telegraph, no body work. Stop thinkin about pushups and benching and try to get the basics of boxing down first.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal Squabbs View Post

Im not trying too be an ******* or anything bro. I give you credit for trying, but I think you shouldnt be worrying about the pros yet man. That video was awful. You need to work on ALOT of things, and like me your not in shape at heavy. I would like to fight at heavy but I would have fat on me. Id be all muscle at 175 and in great shape at crusier were Im tryin to go now. You can definatly lose enough to get down to crusierweight.

You were throwing only arm punches, no speed, no power, akward and very little footwork, no head movement, no good combos, horrible hooks, no defense, you telegraph, no body work. Stop thinkin about pushups and benching and try to get the basics of boxing down first.

I agree with this, you're very well with your weight loss but I think you should try and aim to get under 220, I think you'd be much sharper. I also no toiced the arm punches and a lack of power in your punches.

But keep it up bro, practice practice practice! We're all in the same boat trying to master the sweet science!

Good Luck!

Comment

lmao... Thats what I was saying... 5 miles at 235? in what 2 hours? lol

Comment

Originally posted by dabearso6 View Post
                    yea at xmas, i weighed 265 now i weigh under 235 and i only bench 240
                    but i can do 25 correct pushups, everyone says im progressing really good so far so i guess im not asking for training help just more or less what my goals should be, im 5'11 and 19, i've gone 6 rounds of sparring before, but i was beyond exhuasted afterwards, and my mileage is at 5 miles, im guessin i should be weighin 220 before my first fight and i wanna bench 250 before then, so any helpful info would be greatly appreciated, and i have a great reach my finger tips r only like 4 inches above my kneecaps, haha all my friends say im like a white liston, even though my favorite has to be "the greatest"

If you stick to old fashioned boxing training your weight will come down, your fitness will come up and your skills will improve. When I was your age we all believed that doing pushups on the fingers and knuckles strengthened the bones. I don't know if it is true or not, but I do know that hand injuries wre much less common in those days. To be carrying that much mass, you must have a large bone structure. Obviously there is no need to worry about your weight, just get yourself in boxing shape.

Do you have much power? Very often short bulky men are packing one hell of a punch. You will need to do endless rounds on the heavybag. Having power is one thing, learning to deliver it is another. Most heavyweights are very tall these days so you will have to learn to fight small. The best way for a tall man to handle a shorter opponent is to keep him on the end of his jab. Trying to get inside that jab is not so easy. Get yourself a training partner and do all the usual drills: slipping, rolling, bobbing, weaving etc.

Comment

yea like i said earlier that was a film for school done a little over a month ago, and i have been working on my footwork tremendously, and i DO have alot of power, not trying to sound lame or anything but i do, and everyone in my gym knows it, but im not worried about that right now, my coach says efficiency before speed, speed before power, so right now im mainly working on footwork, and punching correctness, and i wish i had a video of me sparring cuz i nvr show any defense when i do mits or heavybag even though i should, and haha im not worried about pros at all, im just looking forward to some local smokers, i've learned from football its not good to look ahead, look at the opponent in front of you, and as for the height thing, i've been sparring with this guy who is 6'5 he's kinda lanky but has hella long arms and after a few sessions training with him i can get around or under his jab, and i've been able to pop him in the chin a few times, and dont worry i go away to his body too

but thnx to everyone so far who has offered advice

Comment

Working...
                      X