Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice to deal with southpaw. . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice to deal with southpaw. . .

As I've already posted I'm pretty new to the sport. I started sparring with my trainer and then moved on to other guys in the gym that my trainer thought would be a good match. The guy I'm sparring tomorrow is bigger and stronger, has been doing it longer than me. . .and is a lefty. I trust my trainer and he told me this other guy isn't a headhunter and is a bright guy and is just looking to work on stuff so it should be a good thing, I'm just a little nervous on how to handle a lefty.

Any tips?

what kind of style do you normally have? Inside a lot? Lots of jabs? Agressive, defensive, etc?

Comment

So far here is the way that I have success.

Lots of jabs, especially double jabs. Slip, left hook. If I can get the guy to back up with the double jab (Beginners like me) then I can move aggressively in and score. Otherwise once I have established the jab I can score by fake jab followed by left hook to body then left hook to head. I have trouble scoring with the right. However, if I can land left hooks early then it opens up the right. Really I'm an outside fighter that tries to use the jab as defense and to set up combinations. And I circle and move constantly.

Comment

As you circle try to make sure you keep your toes on the outside of his. You should have an easier time landing the right against a southpaw so look for that... to the body too. You're probably used to (and more comfortable) circling to your right which is ok but just remember you're moving towards his power hand when you do that. Keeping your foot outside his will help neutralize that.

For the most part you probably just want to do what you're comfortable doing... I'm new to sparring myself and I know when I go to spar I have all these things I'm trying to remember but the first time I catch a clean shot I usually forget half of them and just try to rush the guy. The point is theres probably a few things your trainer has been drilling into you so your best bet is to focus on them and not worry too much about adjusting for this guy.

Comment

Umm. I got crushed. I lowered my right hand while jabbing and he crushed me with a straight left that sent me to one knee. When I make that mistake against a righty, I get jabbed, but against a lefty. . .very bad.

Anyway, I'll get better next time. You mention the right to the body, is that a right uppercut? How do you set that up? Also, I need a way to set up the left hook against the lefty.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

If you're quick or catch him with his right hand down you can come in with a lead left hook. You may be able to get it in right after he throws a jab, depending on how quick he is, whether he likes to double jab a lot, etc. You also could try throwing your jab or a double jab, then throw a straight right to the body followed by a left hook to the head.

How did it go aside from getting caught by that right? How did you feel about your footwork?

Comment

Hey. Thanks for the help, and thanks for asking. I was surprisingly comfortable circling and moving and the advice you gave about keeping the foot outside made great sense and wasn't hard to do. So that was great.

The other problem had nothing to do with him being a lefty. It had to do with him being a better version of me. In other words, other guys I sparred with, I could categorize. One guy didn't have good reach, I stayed on the outside, one guy wasn't agressive so I would jab lot and get him backing up, etc. This guy fought just like me only he was better. He was a little taller, a little stronger, a little faster and has been doing it a little longer. So I need a fight plan for that, lol.

I'm 39 years old. I'm 6' and 168. I'm in good hsape but nothing special but I try to use what I have which is usually a decent reach but against this guy I think I might try to stay lower and make myself smaller and use a lot more bobbing and weaving and slipping. Basically mkae myself harder to hit, because right now I can't just circle and outbox him. I'm not good enough yet. Very frustrating.

Comment

Its been said but you must make a 'T' of your lead foot against his lead foot and throw plenty of straight right hands. It the natural shot to throw against a Southey but the whole situation feels awkward.

Comment

With the T, does that mean get so far outside his right foot that you make a T, or inside his right foot?

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul666 View Post
                    With the T, does that mean get so far outside his right foot that you make a T, or inside his right foot?
                    Outside mate, it has a two pronged effect, he is off balance and cannot get the leverage to throw his shots and you are in prime position to throw a straight right hand.

Obviously he will do the same to you, remember its only part of your offence and defence, mix it up then step into the 'T' and drive a right through his head or solar plexus! Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X