No announcement yet.

Any tips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips

I finally started a gym (not a boxing gym but you could call it a mini-boxing gym i guess) and a lot of the guys spar there. For beginners no headshots are allowed, only hits to the body. I find this **** hard to do. Anyone got any good tips on how to open the body or the best way to guard body shots?

Abdomin work-out is your best defense. I have my training friend knock me in the stomach 100 times every other day to see if my abs are stong enough, and other than that just keep your elbows in and chin down.

Comment

You got any tips how to improve your abdomin? I dont think mine is solid enough to take 100 punches every other day yet

Comment

Do at least a total of 1000 sit-ups a day. I do 200 at a time, but do however many you can at one time, then rest a while, then do some more. I do 200 normal situps, then lean on your right side and do 200, then lean or you left side and do 100, rinse, clean, and repeat. Also, if you have a friend to hold your feet down, do a crunch, and whenever your chest gets to your knees, stand upand throw 2 shadow punches, back down, and do it again, try to do 20-50 of those.

Comment

Do what southorthatyler said. Do many many sit up, normal situps, side situps, and running will give you air to be able to recover from the body shots. To get into the body shots, you should faint a left or right to the body, and throw the opposite punch. But some people just put a shell around their bodies and its impossible to land a clean punch, at that point, bang thier arms if thats all you can hit. They'll stay blocking but they'll know that if they let down for a second, you'll get them. Better to keep them on the defensive the whole time and not land a clean punch. Also, to block the body shots, cover your body with your arms in the form of an "X" shape or a cross and lean with their punches. For example, if your blocking and they throw a left to your right side of your body, lean and turn your body right and it'll take alot of the bang out of their punch. Hope i could help.
          Last edited by Hitman18; 03-07-2007, 11:11 PM.

Comment

don't think there is a need to do hundreds of sit ups a day. it's not likely to be very healthy either.

muscles need recovery time.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/overtrn.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa81.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/o.../aa062499a.htm

just the first few things i've found to back up my point. train smart!

Comment

Situps obviously help, but for a lot of people/when you reach a certain level, traditional bodyweight exercises aren't really enough. You've also gotta train your abs for strength/power, not just condition them to do a 1000 sit ups. Look at even the more "ripped" boxers, like RJ for example. Now he was cut, but didn't have like "magazine abs" because his abs were bulkly (at least bulkier than you would get by just high-rep exercises). The way the abs work to resist a punch is just like any other muscle in your body does. Basically, they have to push back, and attempt to neutralize the force from the punch. If they lack the strength to push back, the won't. I'm sure we all have friends who have nice, cut abs that impress the ladies, but most would fold like a lawn chair to a liver shot. I'm sure there are ways to build up strength in the abs using bodyweight evercises alone, but I don't know many myself. Personally, medicine ball situps work for me. Also, I have someone hit me, simple as that. Now you probably don't want him loading up and just smashing you in the ribs, but some pretty solid hitting not only get you used to it, it does a very good job of strengthening the abs, really. Hope that helps a bit,

Peace,
              Trick
              Last edited by Trick; 03-08-2007, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X