No announcement yet.

Help with punching bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j View Post
    MANNY STEWARD, a famed boxing trainer, said vitali was the only fighter he ever saw who seemed to know when his opponent was going to punch before his opponent actually did.
    manuel steward comes to my gym for competitions

Comment

thanks j for your reply! and yes im glad to have found this board hehe

as i said in the first post, i havent really touched kickboxing for over 2 years (maybe 3, dont even remember thats how long it has been hehe). anyway even at that time, it was just once or twice a week, but nothing too serious, and basically learnt alot of basics, got decent at some skills, but mastered non hehe!

a question about the punching bag, when it swings, when do you hit it? on the way down? just as it reaches bottom and goes back up? or anytime just using different punches.

thanks again guys! you've all been great help

Comment

Originally posted by chensta View Post
        when i do some 1,2's i can keep the guard tight, but whenever i do more, it gets realli loose, like im almost taking a shortcut from one punch to another, so when im throwin a battery of punches, how do i protect myself?
        u needa tuck ur chin in
        maybe throw ur punches a little higher too
        throw in a couple hooks too

Comment

hi guys, i just did 3 3minute rounds of just light 1 2's , like not much power, but i made sure that i never threw 2 combos from the same position in a row, just moving around the bag (by around i mean left right left hehe, but i dont have a full circle around my bag), and i also made sure i kept my hands up after every hit. the first 2 rounds were pretty messy, i regularly got lazy and forget the guard, and also my footwork, sure im moving alot, but i sometimes feel im almost tripping overmyself when i try to move quickly after a combo!

from what i gather so far, i got pretty good speed, but need to work on movement and my defence?

also i have this stand - http://rebelsport.com.au/?action=view&id=700714&cat=64

its a good stand for my purpose, because i dont have a garage where i can hang a bag, but unfortunately it offers alot of limitations, first i obviously dont have 360 access to the bag, and also legs are quite irritating, moving while constantly thinking about the possibility of stepping on it! the other thing is, as far as i know, for say a left hook on the bag, you plant your left foot infront almost next to the bag, and then swing your hips to generate power? i think the problem here is that, if i step too far infront the leg gets in the way, and if i step inside the legs, i will be too close to the bag? anyway more help welcome!

i'll keep working at it, and i'll try to upload another clip!

will (chensta)

Comment

manuel steward comes to my gym for competitions
            lucky bastard.

well, i can't say that you are luckier than me, as i have something coming up myself with a top guy.

a question about the punching bag, when it swings, when do you hit it? on the way down? just as it reaches bottom and goes back up? or anytime just using different punches.
            i like to hit it on it's way back down toward me. i dislike bags that weigh 150 lbs pounds or less as they are liable to literally fly away.

experiment with it. have fun.

Comment

Working...
            X