Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adrien Broner is just SO much better when he's aggressive.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    Yeah, for the most part I agree with you but I'm not sure Broner has it in him. It could be Broner just doesn't have that dog in him.

Where he's confident like PB-Floyd, that he'll never get put on his shield. Or willing to go out on his shield like JMM or Morales etc.

But you know what, I wouldn't mind seeing Broner like that. If somehow SugarHill Steward managed to pull a dog out of Broner. That'd be great boxing matches to be seen on the tail end of his career.

Specially if he stays in shape like a real professional boxer. Like we see with Bud, Spence, Canelo, GGG etc.
    I just see that Broner is technically still young enough to make some changes before calling it a day. You got Crawford damn near 35 at this point, right?...Broner I believe just turned 31.

I just wish he'd go back to being aggressive, if for no other reason than to remind people that was the best of him. It really was the best of him. It's the version I was hoping would show up against Mikey because he should not have lost that fight - and him losing that fight made us have to deal with Spence vs. Mikey 'Fist Pump' Garcia.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      Emmanuel Taylor was a strong puncher and a very mentally strong opponent. Broner made easy work of him.

Same with Khabib. Same with Granados (although Broner struggled there more than Porter did).

I also don't agree about Jesse Vargas having power. He barely got out against Mikey.

SO if we're going to say that Vargas has significant power yet couldn't stop or beat Mikey, we need to give Spence full credit for the Mikey win for the same reason.

And Mikey Garcia can't crack at 147 OR 140, which is where he fought Broner.

Manny's ability to crack is in question years after the fact when his decision over Keef was razor close and he couldn't stop Algieri (who Spence stopped) or Rios (who feather-fisted fireman Bradley stopped). Also, Manny couldn't stop Vargas.

Chino failed to knock out a guy who allegedly has a glass jaw in Amir Khan. He got taken the distance and almost stopped by an old Erik Morales. He got shutout against Devon Alexander.

No...Chino's advantage is when he can hit you with something you don't see coming. If you see it coming, you've nullified his main advantage, and all he has is dirty tactics left. That's why Floyd was able to pull off a connect rate of over 50% against him when nobody else hardly could, but many fans were drawn in by Chino's ineffective aggression and mauling.
      Irrelevant.

We are comparing broner oppenents ability to broner.

Vargas was cracking broner with good shots,
      Mikey was cracking broner with good shots
      Manny was cracking broner with good shots
      Chino was cracking broner with good shots
      Theophane wasnt doing ish to broner with any of his shots.

In other words every fighter you listed outside of Theophane was able to establish there respect on broner theophane couldn't.

it doenst matter that Chino couldnt deal with Alexander because Broner isnt alexander, Chino was able to deal with broner and Broner wasnt able to deal with Chino.

Comment

Broner is good enough and young enough for on least serious run. But mentality is a massive thing in boxing and Broner doesn't have it. Maybe if he gets the right coach and the right people around him, but I think he prefers people who feed his ego, rather than give him what he needs.

I remember watching the Garcia, where Garcia won at least 10 rounds, Broner was never hurt, yet was completely unwilling to fight fire with fire, despite being a harder puncher than Mikey. Bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Broner hits hard but he gets scared when his opponent can fight. Maidana said Broner hits hard. Broner dropped Porter late in their fight. These are big guys on fight night, and they don't have weak chins. Who else dropped Porter? Spence? Broner's power and speed is there. His heart is not always there though, he also fears opponents who put together some punches. First time I saw this issue was vs Gavin Rees. Yes he dropped him and stopped him. But Rees is 5'4" and he was a small, weak LW but was still tagging Broner and he didn't really know how to react to that.

If you fight back, you will beat Broner. Because Broner is an all offensive boxer. He couldn't even get his right hand off on Pacquiao, wasn't even throwing it at all. This was because Pacquiao had him on the defensive and Broner has no defense. He has no clue on what to do when punches are flying towards him. He "copies" Mayweather's defensive stance, but doesn't seem to comprehend the stance and what you do while on the stance. He literally just "acts" out the defensive stance, only. Like an actor who just wants to get it right for the camera.

Even Malignaggi fought to a draw vs Broner, IMO. As weak as Malignaggi was, at least he can fight and put punches together.
          I see what you're saying as true SOME of the time. I didn't see a draw with Paulie, Paulie wasn't doing anything of note, it's like Paulie vs. Zab, just that Broner didn't decide to throw the fight like Zab did.

But against Granados Broner was under fire. Against Taylor, Broner was under fire. Against de Leon (and I know people think he lost, I didn't), he was definitely under fire. And against Chino he was under constant fire, and despite being dropped he was dominant the second half of the fight.

It almost feels like the speed of the opponent is the key. Like it's not that they throw a lot, it's that they throw fast to a point he's not sure he can catch & shoot or deflect or evade. My point though is that he shouldn't try to, because his style of offense was effective at minimizing the power of the opponent because they can't plant and throw.

Maybe that's why Broner never wanted to fight Khan.

The only fighter I see that MIGHT have done some damage to Broner without needing to plant is Manny. But then I go back to Pacquiao/Bradley 2 and this moment - and it feels like Broner would have been much more successful as an aggressor.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
            I just see that Broner is technically still young enough to make some changes before calling it a day. You got Crawford damn near 35 at this point, right?...Broner I believe just turned 31.

I just wish he'd go back to being aggressive, if for no other reason than to remind people that was the best of him. It really was the best of him. It's the version I was hoping would show up against Mikey because he should not have lost that fight - and him losing that fight made us have to deal with Spence vs. Mikey 'Fist Pump' Garcia.
            I've never been a fan of Broner but I felt he shouldn't have lost that fight either. Even the Pacquiao fight, he could've won that fight imo for the reasons you said.

He kept pot shotting though, as if that's all he needed. Then against Chino, he wanted to act like its entertainment instead of a prizefight.

Broner with that dog mentality would be something to see though. I'd tune in if Broner fought with that Erik Morales, JMM, killer instinct.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post
              In one breath you say Theophane couldn't do anything to Broner (which is a lie - thus why it lasted 9 rounds).

In another breath you say "it's all about Broner" - obviously. Problem is, you said "can crack" - then proceeded to use the fight against Broner as the ONLY evidence.

Clearly an agenda against Broner. It's your right. But not here.

Comment

He IS better when hes aggressive, but its usally against lesser fighters. The real problem is he doesnt like to get hit in his big mouf and why you see him clam up vs good/great opponents

Comment

Originally posted by El_Mero View Post
                  He IS better when hes aggressive, but its usally against lesser fighters. The real problem is he doesnt like to get hit in his big mouf and why you see him clam up vs good/great opponents
                  I don't think it's just that though. Taylor tapped the mouth quite a bit as did Granados. Didn't stop Broner from aggression.

I really think it's speed that makes him hesitant, if he thinks he can't time the opponent he shells up and waits for them to gas out.

Comment

I mentioned this years ago.

Broner is an offensive fighter. I have no idea why he fights so defensively and apprehensive at times.

He ideally should up his cardio and just stalk people. He may not be the biggest puncher but he has a solid skillset. It is on him though to do that and that has been his biggest downfall.

Comment

Its mental..... He doesn't have the confidence to let his hands go vs top guys.

Only time he did it was vs Maidana.

Comment

Working...
                      X