Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fulton: I Underestimated COVID-19; Having It Changed Mindset About Lot Of Things

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing-1013 View Post
    ? Some in our society, in the USA anyway, are wanting to impose liberty restrictions on the rest of us. Some of the things discussed should be left up the individual for him to choose. They should not be mandated.
    You want to get in a debate about individual responsibilities vs social resposibilities and the role of society? WWII cost fewer American lives than COVID over a longer period yet most people were willing to accept sacrifices to achieve a common goal. You pay taxes doncha? Why?

There is no one simple answer, man, different societies and different sections within a society have different ideas about their responsibilities towards their fellow citizens... however that's kinda the point of representative democracy... we elect leaders, they make decisions for us and then we got someone to blame when it all goes to shit..

Problem with just letting everyone make their own mind up in this circumstance is that it effectively penalises the older members of society and the infirm or those with health conditions for the benefit of the the younger and healthier. It also increases the rate of spread and runs the risk of more people becoming infected at once which can reduce the number of successful outcomes and be harmful for everyone.

Quite clear data from around the world shows that those countries who have locked down swiftly and hard have had the fewest infections, fewest deaths and long term complications... course this has to be weighed against the damage done and potential earnings loss, mental health and other problems including suicides and potentially fatal domestic abuse, which is why such policies have been most effectively used in countries with a more robust Social Security net than in the US.

So yeah, sure, there's a legitimate debate over the optimal policy but it surely isn't anything to do with 'liberals' just being cowardly simpletons as your post above suggests. You also - whether deliberately or not -drastically understate the potential dangers of COVID as you might understand if you read some of the accounts just on here. On average the case fatality rate amongst younger age groups is more like 0.1% not 0.01 percent as you state. And that other 99.9% percent don't have 'no real issues' - as many as 10% may have chronic fatigue for weeks or months or potentially permanent lung scarring both of which can leave them incapable of work.

And if you're an old fart like me, middle aged with lungs already damaged from smoking and pneumonia (I still get flashbacks - like drowning in daylight, thrashing around on the hospital bed desperate to suck in some air. Not an experience I'd care to repeat) your likely outcomes are far far worse. Granted I may not be particularly deserving of a longer life, but I was kinda hoping to see my boys through school.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-21-2021, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by care4ameatball View Post
      I currently have it and it sucks but I don't have it as bad as some people. Don't underestimate this thing. It sucks lmao.
      Get well soon man.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
        Get well soon man.
        Thanks man, I’m currently coughing my brains out, I’m very fatigued and I can’t smell anything but that’s the extent of my symptoms. Could be a lot worse but it’s not fun. The fatigue I would say is even worse than the flu. So even prime athletes who get this it’s probably not fun for them.

Comment

Originally posted by keepemup View Post
          Is this serious?

It sounds almost nonsensical.

He got sick and got better. Like getting sick any other time but because its 'da coovids' and all the scary docs scared you now he will bow down.

It's also amazing that the flu and cold have ceased to exist.

All hail da coovids!
          But it didnt ceased to exist, cases just dropped significantly and that can be explained due to 1) the flu being less contagious in combination with 2) people wearing masks and social distancing.

How do you work out excess death north of 400k people in the US with your arguments? The average flu season in the US takes about 35k lifes with the most devastating being 2017/18 that took 60k+ lives.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
            But it didnt ceased to exist, cases just dropped significantly and that can be explained due to 1) the flu being less contagious in combination with 2) people wearing masks and social distancing.

How do you work out excess death north of 400k people in the US with your arguments? The average flu season in the US takes about 35k lifes with the most devastating being 2017/18 that took 60k+ lives.
            Excess deaths have been increasing by a similar amount since 2008.

And the loose rules that are assigned to covid deaths are questionable. Many are even prohibited from getting autopsies because covid is the supposed cause of death.

Comment

Originally posted by keepemup View Post
              Excess deaths have been increasing by a similar amount since 2008.

And the loose rules that are assigned to covid deaths are questionable. Many are even prohibited from getting autopsies because covid is the supposed cause of death.
              Do you have a source for the first claim? Im aware of a couple of those claims and each and everyone has been shown to be misinformation.

Comment

A guy I online game with got it. He said it was bad. He and his wife got infected. He carried the laundry up from the basement for his wife who was too sick and he had to lay down after for a few hours. Mostly he described it as being exhausted all the time with severe headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
                  You want to get in a debate about individual responsibilities vs social resposibilities and the role of society? WWII cost fewer American lives than COVID over a longer period yet most people were willing to accept sacrifices to achieve a common goal. You pay taxes doncha? Why?

There is no one simple answer, man, different societies and different sections within a society have different ideas about their responsibilities towards their fellow citizens... however that's kinda the point of representative democracy... we elect leaders, they make decisions for us and then we got someone to blame when it all goes to shit..

Problem with just letting everyone make their own mind up in this circumstance is that it effectively penalises the older members of society and the infirm or those with health conditions for the benefit of the the younger and healthier. It also increases the rate of spread and runs the risk of more people becoming infected at once which can reduce the number of successful outcomes and be harmful for everyone.

Quite clear data from around the world shows that those countries who have locked down swiftly and hard have had the fewest infections, fewest deaths and long term complications... course this has to be weighed against the damage done and potential earnings loss, mental health and other problems including suicides and potentially fatal domestic abuse, which is why such policies have been most effectively used in countries with a more robust Social Security net than in the US.

So yeah, sure, there's a legitimate debate over the optimal policy but it surely isn't anything to do with 'liberals' just being cowardly simpletons as your post above suggests. You also - whether deliberately or not -drastically understate the potential dangers of COVID as you might understand if you read some of the accounts just on here. On average the case fatality rate amongst younger age groups is more like 0.1% not 0.01 percent as you state. And that other 99.9% percent don't have 'no real issues' - as many as 10% may have chronic fatigue for weeks or months or potentially permanent lung scarring both of which can leave them incapable of work.

And if you're an old fart like me, middle aged with lungs already damaged from smoking and pneumonia (I still get flashbacks - like drowning in daylight, thrashing around on the hospital bed desperate to suck in some air. Not an experience I'd care to repeat) your likely outcomes are far far worse. Granted I may not be particularly deserving of a longer life, but I was kinda hoping to see my boys through school.
                  A lot of your post was psychobabble BS. Not to mention a lot of exaggeration. It is a waste of time to go through your whole post and correct you on all of that. You sound like a commie.

My rebuttal to your comment overall would be my original reply. If one is concerned, then he personally should take precautions. He can wear a mask, not go out, take the vaccine, etc.

Others who don't want their liberties infringed upon, should have the inalienable right to make their own decisions on those matters.

Forcing your views onto others is very communist of you. It ain't going to happen here in the US, not that easily.

If we have a vaccine out, why should it matter what anyone else does? Take the vaccine, and it should protect you, no? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing-1013 View Post
                    A lot of your post was psychobabble BS. Not to mention a lot of exaggeration. It is a waste of time to go through your whole post and correct you on all of that. You sound like a commie.

My rebuttal to your comment overall would be my original reply. If one is concerned, then he personally should take precautions. He can wear a mask, not go out, take the vaccine, etc.

Others who don't want their liberties infringed upon, should have the inalienable right to make their own decisions on those matters.

Forcing your views onto others is very communist of you. It ain't going to happen here in the US, not that easily.

If we have a vaccine out, why should it matter what anyone else does? Take the vaccine, and it should protect you, no? Lol.
                    Vaccine doesn't grant immunity man, most of em don't, just gives your immune system a much better chance of fighting it off. Also whilst it significantly reduces your chance of resisting the illness it doesn't stop you either picking the virus up or potentially transmitting it.

And I don't know what's with your weird obsession with the idea that people on here - myself or anyone else - is trying to force anything on you man. No-one has that power. Especially not random dudes on the internet. We're just chatting, right?

Just for your better understanding of the world I was explaining to you why your own elected authorities might consider that they have that right and might also try to enforce it by law. Same way they can tell you where you can and can't smoke or enforce speed limits to protect your fellow citizens from your badass recklessness. Your 'liberty' to do exactly as you please does not extend to behaviours that compromise others' right to health and wellbeing does it? Of course if you decide to ignore whatever statutes or local ordinances are in place, that too is your choice... Just don't come crying on here if you get slapped with a fine or whatever. Deal?

And no I wouldn't say I'm a Communist although my parents were so perhaps that's less of an insult that you might have hoped. My political philosophy leans more towards the left libertarian - anarchist if you like - though in practical terms I freely acknowledge that a true leaderless society is a very long way from being practicable and may never be so.

I figure we derailed this thread just about long enough now though, don't you?
                    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-21-2021, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post
                      I had it, it was literally nothing to me. I have had worse colds than the covid but I did lose my sense of smell for a few days. Someone else in my household is diabetic and they got it and to be honest I thought they might not make it through the night some nights but fast forward we all back healthy.
                      Hey Bro. Im a nurse and I got it too...nurses are most likely profession to get it.

Mine was mild too but you always have to be a bit concerned about if there are any long-term consequences. Do you have anything different now from when you had it ? How long ago was it for you?

The wife lost smell and it hasnt come back 100%. Feel really bad about that but happy its only that

Comment

Working...
                      X