No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Loma-Lopez Mea Culpa: Making Sense of a Pick Gone Bad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Loma-Lopez Mea Culpa: Making Sense of a Pick Gone Bad

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Sometimes you write a column and you just know it's a good one. It's a lot like when a basketball shot "feels good off the hands." It was exactly that way for me last week. Upon polishing off 1,000 words on how Vasily Lomachenko would swat away Teofimo Lopez's challenge like an upstart mosquito, I turned to my wife and kiddingly said "make room...
    [Click Here To Read More]

No apologies necessary. A lot of people thought the same, myself included. Loma just got beat. Period.
    Your article was great.

Comment

Lomachenko's Weekend Dominance Will Leave a Historic Impression

Don’t believe it? Just watch.

He’ll control the tempo, geography and tenor of the fight, make it look effortless while doing so and incrementally ebb the wherewithal of a foe who’s earned title claimant status as much on tenacity as technique. As I watch it, in fact, I may actually begin to pity Lopez, who’ll look as helpless as a blind man flailing for cash in one of those promotional money chambers – but with the added ignominy of the printed presidents pummeling him as they float tantalizingly in and then just out of reach.

For let’s say 10 rounds of that trouble, Lopez figures to wind up a crimson-faced punching bag with an eye swollen to golf ball size and a headache that’ll take a truckload of Tylenol to ease. And if not for a benevolent trainer or referee stepping in, a loss from consciousness won’t be far off.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

Lomachenko's Weekend Dominance Will Leave a Historic Impression

Don’t believe it? Just watch.

He’ll control the tempo, geography and tenor of the fight, make it look effortless while doing so and incrementally ebb the wherewithal of a foe who’s earned title claimant status as much on tenacity as technique. As I watch it, in fact, I may actually begin to pity Lopez, who’ll look as helpless as a blind man flailing for cash in one of those promotional money chambers – but with the added ignominy of the printed presidents pummeling him as they float tantalizingly in and then just out of reach.

For let’s say 10 rounds of that trouble, Lopez figures to wind up a crimson-faced punching bag with an eye swollen to golf ball size and a headache that’ll take a truckload of Tylenol to ease. And if not for a benevolent trainer or referee stepping in, a loss from consciousness won’t be far off.

HaHa, boxing writers... we know. But he's far from the worst.

Comment

This serves good for Loma who was non existent from Rd 1 -6. Except that flush he landed in Rd2.
          Rd 12 is a testimony of how talented and mentally strong Lopez is..

Comment

Originally posted by johnbook View Post
            HaHa, boxing writers... we know. But he's far from the worst.
            After this weekend humiliating L for boxing 'experts' and their blind followers on NSB, I bumped Bumochenko cult senior Bishop Lyle Fitzsimmons to #1. on the boxingscene C4C ( Clown 4 Clown ) ratings ; and dropped Bumchenko from #1. at lightweight to #4., behind Gervonta Davis.

Lyle, dont take it personal, you provide value to the boxingscene with your joke fanboy predictions.

Comment

To the writer. Did you write what you believed ? Did you write what your gut told you? You got a fight call wrong, I got it right. Same difference. know what turned me on saturday and I posted it over at TSS. Is that Lomo talked about how tuff it was in his country as if he was here just to pick up a check. That the USA was weak, we lost our fight in us. The fight was like an afterthought. Something to take care of and move on. I said it much more nasty bc he had it coming to him. Sometimes in a fight a guy just is not meant to loose. Forget the numbers, forget the records, you see it in his face a lot. It is missed with these carnival ring enteries nowadays. In the ring it is always a fight. Not postioning for the next guy, it is a fight. I can not write, I am no historian but I enjoy a good fight always have. Lomo took himself too seriously and this whole country too lightly. He became Mr. ESPN. He said what ?
              "in my country if you.........." Welcome to American. Hope it stings, hope it lingers, hope it takes a while to forget.
              BLUES

Comment

No problem with picking the wrong fighter.

But when one needs to involve his wife after finishing an article, he needs help.

Comment

The problem with the first article wasn't that it was just a wrong pick. It was my pick as well and I was almost as wrong. I thought it would be a clear-cut points victory rather than a stoppage, but I still wasn't picking against Loma in this fight or any other feasible matchup in and around the weight class. The real problem with the article was that it was written in Fitzsimmons trademark reductionist, arrogant, inflammatory style, to a worse degree than any of his prior ones, and most of those are pretty damn bad to begin with. A quote from that article:

"Vasyl Lomachenko is the best boxer in the world.

Bar none.

And to those contrarian masses on social media who’d suggest such a notion is either beholden to a promoter or network or simply not as enlightened as theirs, I have an equally simple response.

Screw you."

This is supposed to be the reasoned and balanced input of a professional journalist and author? Really? It's the kind of thing I'd expect to see from the more infamous forum trolls on here, albeit slightly more eloquent.

Then again, maybe that's the point. The other boxing authors on here run rings around Fitzsimmons in the arts of informed and reasoned writing, boxing knowledge, and the less-appreciated but no-less important art of not sounding like a smug, self-absorbed prick, so the only reason I can think of for keeping him around is baiting angry clicks, which puts Fitzsimmons in the same calibre as Scott Glifoid (remember him from that other boxing news website?) Well, maybe he's not quite THAT bad, but he's in the same ballpark, which is bad enough.

Comment

Damn I did not know being a boxing writer was such a tough job. What got me was those writers who did not own up to being wrong. It is true in boxing in anything sport or otherwise. Own it first. It is easy to get ugly with someone no effort needed and if it is needed then kick the dirt. So anyhow I liked that Lomo lost for personal reasons and some $$$$ but to me it was not my type of fight I have seen better. I hope for better from both of them. What direction Lopez goes in ? Lomo has less time to change directions. there is a lot of truth that some guys just can not beat certain fighters is that the case here? I dont know I am not that smart. I just enjoy a good fight. That is why I enjoy watching guys develop, make mistakes and learn on the fly. And not live off there past fights or performances. I also enjoy talking boxing but dont fool myself into thinking I know more then the next guy. It is just something I enjoy watching a fight. The rest the phoney hype, the smartest guys in the room. AH works for some but not for me. Good kick around this morning.thanks all for the words. The gut reaction.
                    BLUES
                    Song of the day ? Artist John Lee Hooker Serve you right to Suffer for those with a more hard rock taste go to the live version by J. Geils band. LP Title FULL HOUSE (live recording) put on your headphones and blast your drums.
                    BLUES

Comment

Working...
                    X