No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Maxi Hughes Shocks Jono Carroll, Wins Close Decision

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I thought it was a close fight and that Carroll would get slightly more love on the cards. He got rocked by a good left in 9 or 10 that may have been the difference. Too close to call, but definitely a modest upset. Why all the hate for Jono Carroll? Something about him I'm not aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackR0bbb View Post
        I thought it was a close fight and that Carroll would get slightly more love on the cards. He got rocked by a good left in 9 or 10 that may have been the difference. Too close to call, but definitely a modest upset. Why all the hate for Jono Carroll? Something about him I'm not aware of?
        I think it's because of the way he carries himself it's like back in college I had a few acquaintances who were Irish and they were pretty cool and chill but ever since McGregor made a name for himself in combat sports anytime someone new comes along they want to follow his facade and put on a gimmick just like Carroll did against Tevin Farmer wearing designer suits and flapping his lips like he was a living legend when in reality he has no power throws a lot of low blows and rushes forward with his head. Was good to see him taken down a notch just like the Gallagher kid in Bellator who got his ass kicked by Bandejas.

Comment

Close fight but Hughes was clearly doing the better, cleaner work. Better defence also; many blocked shots, Carrol hitting arms at will, but not really scoring, while his opponent's crisp counters did. 97-93 was the right score.

Comment

Originally posted by Kannabis Kid View Post
            I think it's because of the way he carries himself it's like back in college I had a few acquaintances who were Irish and they were pretty cool and chill but ever since McGregor made a name for himself in combat sports anytime someone new comes along they want to follow his facade and put on a gimmick just like Carroll did against Tevin Farmer wearing designer suits and flapping his lips like he was a living legend when in reality he has no power throws a lot of low blows and rushes forward with his head. Was good to see him taken down a notch just like the Gallagher kid in Bellator who got his ass kicked by Bandejas.
            I honestly don't think it's that serious. I get more agitated with wanna-be soap opera stars like Canelo who wins fake belts, avoids top fighters like Beterbiev and Andrade and has his fans acting like he's the second coming of Salvador Sanchez or Chavez Sr., which he clearly is not. Some guy from Ireland doesn't rankle me that much. And I knew Con Man McGregor would eventually get smashed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackR0bbb View Post
              I honestly don't think it's that serious. I get more agitated with wanna-be soap opera stars like Canelo who wins fake belts, avoids top fighters like Beterbiev and Andrade and has his fans acting like he's the second coming of Salvador Sanchez or Chavez Sr., which he clearly is not. Some guy from Ireland doesn't rankle me that much. And I knew Con Man McGregor would eventually get smashed.
              Lol Salvador Sanchez was a badass fighter but he never got to fulfill his full potential at this point Canelo on paper is a far superior fighter in terms of accolades. Chavez is the best Mexican of all time in terms of fighting style and winning the hearts of the people but his lifestyle shortened his career and didn't allow him to perform well in the upper weights.

Canelo has fought consistent top 15 fighters for the most part of this past decade I wouldn't say he ducked Beterbiev he is not a true 175 lber he took a cash grab and a chance to win a belt in another division against a gun shy Kovalev but Beterbiev is a former Heavyweight who is in his prime right now Canelo started his career at 140 lbs they have similar builds but Artur is obviously physically stronger and punches way harder

He was about to face BJS not his fault Corona halted those plans don't forget they sent offers to Callum Smith and Caleb Plant also so don't say he's not trying to fight the best especially at 168 where he is already smaller in stature than most. I don't think anybody is ducking Andrade I like him as a fighter but he is not phenomenal his fights usually go the distance against lesser opposition and people seem to forget his fight with Martirosyan was very close.

Comment

Originally posted by steeve steel View Post
                Close fight but Hughes was clearly doing the better, cleaner work. Better defence also; many blocked shots, Carrol hitting arms at will, but not really scoring, while his opponent's crisp counters did. 97-93 was the right score.
                It's funny because that's how I saw it as well. Maxi outclassed him and I thought it was pretty evident; he buzzed Jono a few times, landed the cleaner shots and displayed much more ring generalship.

I was surprised that the announcers and Carroll's corner seemed to just assume Jono was winning regardless what was actually happening in the ring. I was pleasantly surprised that the judges decided to score it as happened as opposed to what was expected.

Nice surprise upset and we'll deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
                  It's funny because that's how I saw it as well. Maxi outclassed him and I thought it was pretty evident; he buzzed Jono a few times, landed the cleaner shots and displayed much more ring generalship.

I was surprised that the announcers and Carroll's corner seemed to just assume Jono was winning regardless what was actually happening in the ring. I was pleasantly surprised that the judges decided to score it as happened as opposed to what was expected.

Nice surprise upset and we'll deserved.
                  I think this also puts into perspective how shot Quigg actually was when he fought Carrol.

Comment

Originally posted by steeve steel View Post
                    I think this also puts into perspective how shot Quigg actually was when he fought Carrol.
                    Funny you say that, my first immediate thought was "man Quigg must have been completely shot to make Jono look that impressive!"....

Quigg had a nice run in his prime, I think he had seen better days before the Valdez fight but that was an incredibly violent and brutal affair and helped hasten his downfall.

Comment

Working...
                    X