Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Too Fast" Fury vs "The Greatest" Ali: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson Fury is my favourite boxer at the moment but I would have to say Ali beats him.I feel Ali is the more natural athlete and gifted boxer.Hence as others have alluded to Furys biggest win to date has probably been an ageing Klitschko 4 years past his prime(post 35) and a very dangerous one sided fighter in Wilder.If he beats Wilder and Joshua twice he will obviously further cement his legacy .

From all accounts as other boxing fans on here are most likely aware the heavyweight division in Ali's time was tougher eg Sonny Liston,Floyd Patterson,Joe Frazier,George Foreman.All these Ali fought in their prime as well(35 or under) loosing bar one.
    Last edited by Richard; 06-19-2020, 06:52 AM.

Comment

fury will be too fast for Ali. Running out the ring and driving off in his ferrari, that is. You'll never see him move that fast as when he sees Ali walk out toward him.

Comment

Fury is my guy, I picked him to beat Wilder/Joshua YEARS ago

but go watch the McDermott fight, or even the Cunningham fight

I would never bet against Ali figuring out his opponent and finding a way to win, that is what he did... and Fury had problems with guys who are NOT the greatest heavyweight of all time... so fans who give Ali no chance are playing themselves

of all the fighters to sleep on LMAO

cool fantasy fight

Comment

Ali was lucky in a time he had very few guys bigger then him who really weren’t that good ,of course no one looked at it that way there was no social media and nothing to compare them to like now . He had flaws Fury would exploit and would struggle severely against far less talent then Fury himself in other match ups so he’s more of a gimmick in terms of how he’s perceived.

Fury could just easily switch to southpaw and give Ali hell but the key for Ali was always wearing down guys with his length and clinching in spots to frustrate ,hows he going to do that with a clever far bigger Fury . Ali was not an aggressive puncher so it’s a mismatch really ,Fury would coast to a UD in current form ,the fight would probably look real sloppy to unless they fought a trilogy , maybe Ali wins one but I wouldn’t bet on it .

Edit : Sure for his time Ali was the best we saw ,I watched him live when VCRs weren’t even around but looking at a realistic view it’s not a good match up for Ali even if boxing historically try and make him unbeatable that’s as unrealistic as anything ever in sports in general,times change and so do the athletic times . Ali was in a time we all saw him as a huge giant as was Foreman, go into the late 70”s and 80”s and the long jabbers came int the scene but thats another topic. Nowadays the old big is now the new little guys .
          Last edited by REDEEMER; 06-19-2020, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post
            Good to see an intelligent, knowledgeable poster back on the forum. Welcome home lad.
            Thanks man

Comment

This is hard one. I think fury could win h2h. But Alis the greatest. His resume speaks for itself.
              He gave his life for that resume. . I always will give credit to those I feel went the extra mile for the resume be it Ali, SRR, Holyfield, Duran, JCC, RJJ, BH, Pac etc etc
              Last edited by hugh grant; 06-19-2020, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Disgraceful thread. Ali fought everyone in his era, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, etc. PED cheat Fury hasn’t even fought AJ yet.

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post

Edit : Sure for his time Ali was the best we saw ,I watched him live
                  Your a lucky man.Of interest who did you see him fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky12 View Post
                    Your a lucky man.Of interest who did you see him fight?
                    Frazier 3 , Norton ,those guys that were televised as well as Foreman then a few after that. His fights were scarce because networks were not carrying a lot on t.v with limited choices you actually listened to most fights on radio and read about them .

This is the thing ,by the time Ali was being shown he had already built a reputation up as if he was a star before most got to see a lot of him . Replays started airing of the recorded fights but most didn’t get to see them live . Now I was a kid but I remember a lot mostly seeing Holmes fight late 70”s I was around 10 .

This is all good to have a different perspective on how fighters were I’ve seen boxing in six different decades from 70”s to now being the start of another one .

I think boxing today is more exciting though with way more ways to watch I don’t think you guys know how lucky having apps and internet access is ,if they were broadcast over the radio like yesteryear they would have you believe these guys were some superheroes you would read about it’s why it’s a little insane claiming fighters threw punches way different back then and were to advanced ,a punch is a punch for the most part it’s what one does with an all around skill set that’s going to matter on their style .

If a guy like Fury for instance Was in the Ali era and retained the same level he would be literally turned into a Superhero Or sideshow at 6”9 standing next to guys who did not average 6”5 .

My thoughts on Ali are he would be surpassed the more I studied him but he was tough as nails and would he be the best in this era or others ? That’s speculation , I would have been in awe however at a guy o.f Furys size catching him on the tube ,he would have been Andre the Giant of boxing .Nowadays standing next to the other giants it looks normal ,it wasn’t back then .
                    Last edited by REDEEMER; 06-19-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Maybe it should be Too Fat Fury. I voted in the wrong spot and think Ali would win by KO. Fury had too much trouble with some average guys to beat the prime ali in my opinion. Fury is very tall and heavy but ordinary heavyweights were able give him trouble. Cunningham was not very big and not a big puncher but he dropped Fury hard and won some rounds. Wilder dropped him twice and almost kOed him and held him to a draw. The prime Ali was so much better than anyone Fury fought. Being huge is no big advantage at heavyweight because smaller heavyweights are still very big and often are faster, hit harder and take a punch better than the giant. Most of the past heavyweights considered great weighed 190 to 230 pounds. They fought giants and knocked them out.

Comment

Working...
                      X