Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Robert Garcia: Insane Purses Will Go Back To Normal When We Boxing Returns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cadet Bonespurs View Post
    Insane is not the word we are looking for. It’s called inflation.

Muhammad Ali earned 2.5 million for his fight against George Foreman in 1974. Adjusted for inflation that’s roughly 13 million today

That’s nearly a typical Pacquiao purse.
    But that’s a super fight. 13 mil for a super fight is kind of low when Mikey is getting 7m against jessie freaking vargas

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
      I don’t understand why people complain about what boxers make nowadays. At the end of the day these guys risk their health and life every time they get in the ring just to entertain us, and so they need to be compensated for that. Don’t like that fighter or their next fight? Don’t watch it. Nobody is forcing you to to see them. Watch the guys you like and don’t watch the guys you don’t like. Simple as that.

I guess nowadays we live in a world where a lot of people have that “crabs in a bucket” mentally of hating on anyone and everyone that’s doing well but that attitude never got anyone anywhere in life.

Promoters in the past were crooks and a lot of great fighters ended up/and still are broke. If you’re a true fan of the sport you should be happy that the top fighters nowadays are being paid what they’re worth because boxing is a brutal sport and you can die in the ring so the top guys deserve to make a lot of money.
      Well said it's only certain fighters that really make millions anyways and that is because they are marketable and have a following. The majority of them are multiple division champions or are being groomed to be so they pull in the big bucks people also forget 5m purse isn't what the fighter gets they walk away with half if they are lucky training camps and trainer/managers are not free.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
        I don’t understand why people complain about what boxers make nowadays. At the end of the day these guys risk their health and life every time they get in the ring just to entertain us, and so they need to be compensated for that....... If you’re a true fan of the sport you should be happy that the top fighters nowadays are being paid what they’re worth because boxing is a brutal sport and you can die in the ring so the top guys deserve to make a lot of money.
        I'm with you on this. I have no problem with fighters getting paid to risk themselves for my entertainment. Only time I get frustrated is when purse splits get used to either manipulate, flex promotional muscle or to avoid making a fight.

Only a rare few get paid truly life changing money and most barely get paid at all. I was at a local card and almost all the fighters were getting peanuts for my entertainment. Only one of the two fighters in the main event was getting paid in the thousands (and not many thousands either) and it was only because he could guarantee his family, friends and fans would be buying tickets.

The fighters deserve their pay, I just wish they all could get what they truly deserve for what they give in return.

Comment

Back in the day before the internet pops didn't mind paying 20-49 if it was a good fight or a Don King fight card which was always loaded. But now a days it's ridiculous DANZ, ESPN, ESPN+, Showtime, PBC (whether it's on FS1, Fox or PPV) and regular PPV.

Remember the good old days Wide World of sports, USA Tuesday Night Fights, Prime Ticket (Fight Night at the Forum).

Ever wonder Why Canelo fights on free TV in Mexico?

If you do you're home work correctly let the advertising's pay the bulk. But you guys got greedy and brain dead at the same time.

Manny Pacquiao matches are also on free TV.

*****It's the Chinese Death Toll Stupid.
          Last edited by TJ highway; 05-04-2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Robert is right about the purses.His brother getting 7 mil to beat a journeyman in Vargas was outrageous.700,000 woulda been more appropriate,particularly after that @ss whupping he got from Spence.

Comment

Working...
            X