No announcement yet.

Wilder is the sole reason why this era of heavyweight is underrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilder is the sole reason why this era of heavyweight is underrated

I think the reason why people shyt on this era is because of Wilder and his lack of skills. He's the one they always point to when trying to make an argument. However, you can't blame the boxers - Wilder has just been well protected by his handlers and it's not like he has beaten any good contender in this era. The guy got destroyed the first time he stepped up in this era and he's a media creation with gullible fans.

Good that we've most likely seen the end of Wilder because he would need to bring a gun into the ring to beat Fury. And I don't see him becoming a champion again because he would've to go through good contenders to get there - unlike the paper belt he got the first time & he carefully defended it fighting bums. I'd pick all the good contenders to knock him out.

Going forward, fans are going to start giving this era of heavyweight boxers the credit they deserve.

yeah wilder was pointless

Comment

This era is better than the one before, but it's still not particularly great historically. It's incredibly top heavy, with Fury and Joshua as the only really exceptional fighters. It lacks any depth beyond them. That a fighter as awful as Wilder is the 2nd or 3rd best heavyweight speaks to that.

I mean, who is there that is really any good besides Fury and Joshua?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        This era is better than the one before, but it's still not particularly great historically. It's incredibly top heavy, with Fury and Joshua as the only really exceptional fighters. It lacks any depth beyond them. That a fighter as awful as Wilder is the 2nd or 3rd best heavyweight speaks to that.

A lot of the young contenders are as good as the best eras. And they'll come into their own in the next 12months. I also think Dillian Whyte, Parker and Ruiz are underrated.

Comment

You will never change the minds of people blinded by their nostalgia for past eras and fighters.

Comment

If this heavyweight era was as good as the 90's 'You would not have to make these sort of threads'. We are living in the age of ultimate exposure with alternative media covering boxing 'If they where really so superior to past generations, this thread would not exist' Why are you trying so hard?

Violence and fighting is ingrained in our genetics, THE general public even if they where not boxing fans would be able to identify if this era was so great. There is a saying 'Sex sells' guess what else sells? Violence. If there where 4 men in a crowded street who suddenly had a disagreement with each other and decided to settle their differences 'Two men played a game of football, and two men had a good ole fashioned bare knuckle boxing fight' The two men who where boxing would draw a bigger crowd.

The heavyweight division now by all means should be creating world wide mass hysteria, these fighters are bigger 'To the point where they seem abit abnormal' But even with all these variables, the mass consensus is that past generations of heavyweights where better 'At-least from a technical perspective' Deontay Wilder I honestly don't believe he has a technical ability much higher than a novice 'He is probably around intermediate level'. His courage and limited range of power carried him through his career etc

Without a shadow of a doubt I don't think this era is bad, it is just that far too many fighters seem one dimensional or they don't have any glaring strengths accept for maybe some extra size compared to past heavyweights. As a kid sometimes I used to play a game for the Super Nintendo called Street fighter, and I would chose different characters depending on their special moves or strengths 'It is only really Tyson Fury & Anthony Joshua who have any special movies or glaring strengths' vast majority of other heavyweights seem to be just big guys who have decided to learn how to fight.

Note: In terms of competition this era is not bad, but in terms of pure performance I still think they are performing below past generations. There is nothing wrong with that, in other sports the performance levels/standard don't always continually improve 'Are basketball players really better now then in the 90's? It is all up for debate etc'.
            Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 04-21-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
              A lot of the young contenders are as good as the best eras. And they'll come into their own in the next 12months. I also think Dillian Whyte, Parker and Ruiz are underrated.
              They're solid, but they're not particularly good fighters. I guess we'll see with Whyte.

I'm open to being wrong here, and again, I do think this era is better than the wasteland that Wlad ruled over. It just lacks depth, like 90% of the sport does. It's not a heavyweight only problem.

Comment

I see a bunch of good fighters, but not necessarily a lot of greatness. Like winning the belt is a "good business move" rather than a "guttural instinct towards greatness."

Comment

Fury is the only great fighter of this era.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post

what on earth are you on about?

Whyte
                    Ruiz
                    Parker
                    Daniel Dubois
                    Joe Joyce
                    Hrgovic
                    Yoka
                    Ajagba
                    Usyk
                    Hunter
                    maybe even Gassiev

there are other names ive not mentioned, eastern europeans/asians who could step up too.

This era has only just started.
                    Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce was exactly what is needed, then everything else happened.

also the likes of povetkin and pulev are underrated in america.

Comment

Working...
                    X