Watching 90s heavyweight boxing and that era's overrated due to nostalgia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
    Excerpts from what he said:

“I think we make for good fights. There’s definitely a knock out in this fight, that’s what the people want to see - blood shed and knockouts."

“I feel it in my heart, I’m confident and I believe in myself that I will be victorious. You’re going to see fireworks.”

------------------------------------

I'm sure there were lead up questions asking about knock outs, including what the fans want. But he never firmly said he'll KO Andy - he just said he'll be victorious.
    And how about the fireworks part? He just meant it’s near christmas?

But Nahh spin it whatever way you want.. he said it during interviews, presscons and open workouts.

Nothing against it actually, or the way he won so don’t be so defensive. He was just trying to hype up the fight — you should have just gone with that.

The reason it’s not as big a win as the way he lost, or as big a win as fury over wilder is self explanatory.

Comment

But Lennox and Bowe never fought and Lennox vs Tyson didn't happen when people wanted it to happen. Also, Tyson never fought Bowe.

A guy like Bowe went through that era without fighting any top HW apart from Holyfield. Heck, he didn't even fight any top contender and he's basically the same as Wilder.

However, people act like everyone fought everyone at the right time in the 90s when the 90s also mirror this era. That era was overrated.
      I already acknowledged Lewis vs Bowe and Tyson. Bowe vs Tyson had a pretty slim window between Tyson going to jail and Bowe putting a fridge in his bedroom. (EDIT: Fair point on Bowe's resume, it is pretty thin).
      It's also a pity that Tim Witherspoon was frozen out while he still had some mileage in him. But overall I think it's a deeper, more competitive era than today.

How do you see Joshua, Fury and Wilder doing back then?

Comment

Tua = Ruiz huh?

From someone who watches for the technical stuff

Name me one pro level technique that isn't easily googled. Something you have to actually do some research for. Either a deep googling or, ya know, go to a ****ing gym because Tua's far beyond ****ing Ruiz for FFS.

Lennox did more running? Probably because Tua has faster feet than Ruiz has ever displayed huh?

More movement out of Tua in round one than Ruiz the whole ****ing fight but basically the same.

More posturing out of Tua than Ruiz has his whole ****ing career but we is watching for the techniques and we is seeing same....sure.

More action probably because Tua damn near doubled Ruiz's output huh?

Tua in the 12th round still out performed Ruiz in the first, but, these mug are basically the same.

Must be nostalgia. Has nothing to do with actually know techniques worth a **** and seeing them all fall to the sidelines while absolute technical munchkins get praised by ****s who claim they're into the technical side but can't ****ing name a single one not handed to them by mass media.

I wasn't alive in the 50s you dumb dick. Doesn't stop me from seeing Joe Walcott had the biggest bag of tricks. It's not nostalgia, it's recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          Tua = Ruiz huh?

From someone who watches for the technical stuff

Name me one pro level technique that isn't easily googled. Something you have to actually do some research for. Either a deep googling or, ya know, go to a ****ing gym because Tua's far beyond ****ing Ruiz for FFS.

Lennox did more running? Probably because Tua has faster feet than Ruiz has ever displayed huh?

More movement out of Tua in round one than Ruiz the whole ****ing fight but basically the same.

More posturing out of Tua than Ruiz has his whole ****ing career but we is watching for the techniques and we is seeing same....sure.

More action probably because Tua damn near doubled Ruiz's output huh?

Tua in the 12th round still out performed Ruiz in the first, but, these mug are basically the same.

Must be nostalgia. Has nothing to do with actually know techniques worth a **** and seeing them all fall to the sidelines while absolute technical munchkins get praised by ****s who claim they're into the technical side but can't ****ing name a single one not handed to them by mass media.

I wasn't alive in the 50s you dumb dick. Doesn't stop me from seeing Joe Walcott had the biggest bag of tricks. It's not nostalgia, it's recognition.
          You're a remedial dummy.

When did Tua move his feet? LMAO. Tua was slow on his feet just as Ruiz is. But Ruiz has faster hands. I'd give the both of them equal chin. In a fight, I'd pick Ruiz to beat Tua to the punch all the time and beat him since the fight will most likely look like Tua vs Ibeabuchi.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
            I already acknowledged Lewis vs Bowe and Tyson. Bowe vs Tyson had a pretty slim window between Tyson going to jail and Bowe putting a fridge in his bedroom. (EDIT: Fair point on Bowe's resume, it is pretty thin).
            It's also a pity that Tim Witherspoon was frozen out while he still had some mileage in him. But overall I think it's a deeper, more competitive era than today.

How do you see Joshua, Fury and Wilder doing back then?
            I'd pick Josh and Fury to be amongst the elites in the 90s. And I'd favour the both of them to beat Bowe easily.

As for Wilder: that one trick wouldn't have worked in the 90s since the guys in that era were on a different type of juice and they won't be falling down due to one exaggerated punch. Wilder would be a contender at best but I see the likes of Ruddock, Golota, McCall, Mercer, Tua and Tucker knocking him out clean.

Comment

I can't believe this dummy said Tua who walked around the ring with his feet planted was a mover. LMAO.

These casuals, man. LMAO.

Comment

You're a remedial dummy.

When did Tua move his feet? LMAO. Tua was slow on his feet just as Ruiz is. But Ruiz has faster hands. I'd give the both of them equal chin. In a fight, I'd pick Ruiz to beat Tua to the punch all the time and beat him since the fight will most likely look like Tua vs Ibeabuchi.
                I don't think I can stutter in text form.

You have a self contradiction here, did Lennox run more? Why? Just moving around without Tua right outside his range? Dancing in the corner while Tua stands in the center? Nope, that **** ain't happened. So, if Lennox ran more, and David was up his ass, then....okay, stfu you dumb prick.

Name one technique ya dumb prick.

Comment

You don't have another boxer you like other than Anthony Joshua? All your threads basically come back to the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                    I don't think I can stutter in text form.

You have a self contradiction here, did Lennox run more? Why? Just moving around without Tua right outside his range? Dancing in the corner while Tua stands in the center? Nope, that **** ain't happened. So, if Lennox ran more, and David was up his ass, then....okay, stfu you dumb prick.

Name one technique ya dumb prick.
                    You said Tua moved his feet. LMAAOOOOO

I can't take you seriously after that. LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by rightjablikezab View Post
                      you don't have another boxer you like other than anthony joshua? All your threads basically come back to the same thing.
                      hahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                      X