No announcement yet.

GGG vs Sergio Martinez who you got?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NORMNEALON View Post
    I think the Martinez who beat pavlik could have beaten GGG . Not sure it would go that way but I would pick up albeit not to confidently . Ggg at his best was a monster just a shame he never fought anyone great until he showed signs of decline . That will forever taint his legacy and his chances in mythical matchups imo . Him and martinez really should have fought and it was very possible to make at a time and would have been one hell of a matchup
    It was never a plausible match up, man. The WBC had been planning the Maravilla / Cotto / Canelo shit since 2013 by their own acknowledgement. They had been hoping Chavez Jr could be their next star at MW until Sergio beat the snot outta him but they always have more than one pan on the stove.

Given the relative ages and trajectories of the 3 fighters having Canelo as the MW king was always the long goal and it's worth remebering that by 2013 GGG was only just beginning to gain traction and his opponents were still getting paydays in the $300 - 500K range (I don't even think he'd made his first 7 figure himself).

There was no way Sergio was gonna forgo a Cotto payday to fight Golovkin, and nor should he have done... equally and for similar reasons, the Cotto fight was never a realistic possibility for GGG whatever concessions he'd agreed to. I suspect it was made quite clear to Golovkin / Loeffler that should they try to force the mandatory issue either the WBC would grant an exception (like I say they'd been planning Cotto vs Canelo since 2013) or Cotto would simply vacate - which is ultimately what he did anyway, kinda making my point for me.

Damn shame though, and it would have been a great fight still - Sergio was one of my absolute favourites of last decade - but seeing how Maravilla struggled with Macklin, Barker and Murray in 2011 through '13 I ain't seeing what he'd have left for Golovkin by 2013/4 anyways. Happy to have seen him ride of into the sunset with a healthy bank balance rather than the beatdown I suspect he would have taken from GGG.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 03-23-2020, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Easy pick.

Golovkin wins that fight.

Comment

Younger version of Martinez was KOd by career welter in Margarito. This tells me all I need to know about this matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
          Prime vs Prime at 160.
          Prime Golovkin didn’t have the chance to fight the best options. He KOed everyone with ease, until he was 34, and Canelo suddenly wanted the fight.

I think he beats Maravilla. But this would be a hell of fight.

Sergio was a warrior too in his prime.

Comment

Have to go with Golovkin. I always liked Martinez. He was a brave fighter and had good ring movement. But he's been on the canvas too many times for a guy like Golovkin.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
              Easy? Prime Martinez still had his flaws man. Elite fighters like Canelo and GGG would have at least gave him a scare or two.
              Yeah. I was a big Maravilla fan, but I have to admit that he sort of fought in predictable patterns. Smart technicians like Canelo and GGG would likely have been able to sort him out. Canelo's team would have had him pretty well figured out before they ever stepped into the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
                Yeah. I was a big Maravilla fan, but I have to admit that he sort of fought in predictable patterns. Smart technicians like Canelo and GGG would likely have been able to sort him out. Canelo's team would have had him pretty well figured out before they ever stepped into the ring.
                The left hook always seemed to be the shot to time Martinez with. Easier said than done because of the quality Maravilla possessed but as you say elite fighters are able to anticipate and work out patterns.

Comment

Martinez proved that he could beat bigger world-class opponents

Golovkin proved that he has no interest in facing a mover/spoiler

1 + 1 = 2

2010 Martinez would have beaten Golovkin... who struggled everytime he stepped up in class, especially with movement

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
                    It was never a plausible match up, man. The WBC had been planning the Maravilla / Cotto / Canelo shit since 2013 by their own acknowledgement. They had been hoping Chavez Jr could be their next star at MW until Sergio beat the snot outta him but they always have more than one pan on the stove.

Given the relative ages and trajectories of the 3 fighters having Canelo as the MW king was always the long goal and it's worth remebering that by 2013 GGG was only just beginning to gain traction and his opponents were still getting paydays in the $300 - 500K range (I don't even think he'd made his first 7 figure himself).

There was no way Sergio was gonna forgo a Cotto payday to fight Golovkin, and nor should he have done... equally and for similar reasons, the Cotto fight was never a realistic possibility for GGG whatever concessions he'd agreed to. I suspect it was made quite clear to Golovkin / Loeffler that should they try to force the mandatory issue either the WBC would grant an exception (like I say they'd been planning Cotto vs Canelo since 2013) or Cotto would simply vacate - which is ultimately what he did anyway, kinda making my point for me.

Damn shame though, and it would have been a great fight still - Sergio was one of my absolute favourites of last decade - but seeing how Maravilla struggled with Macklin, Barker and Murray in 2011 through '13 I ain't seeing what he'd have left for Golovkin by 2013/4 anyways. Happy to have seen him ride of into the sunset with a healthy bank balance rather than the beatdown I suspect he would have taken from GGG.
                    Agree 100% i was more referring to 2009-2011 time when they could have "unified"( prolly not even possible due to g only having a regular title ) but iam sure the plans they had which u listed were already well in motion then aswell . But even that wasnt plausible either because martinez was searching for ( and deservedly so ) for that big payday after the pavlik and William's wins . Before cotto was even a thought at middleweight. But as you stated the plan was JR then and for no good reason other than money but martinez was a dog and one of my favorites so I cant hate on him going for that payday there really werent many other options other than ggg at the time besides that and ggg hadnt hit his stride yet popularity wise and was very high risk , to risky to take before that JR fight .

Comment

Maravilla gets stopped in a potential FOTY candidate. Martinez's awkwardness would be to his advantage for a while, but GGG's pressure and accuracy would eventually overwhelm his leaky defense.
                      Last edited by kiaba360; 03-23-2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X