No announcement yet.

Myth Buster volume 1: Canelo was green when he fought Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myth Buster volume 1: Canelo was green when he fought Mayweather

seems to me many on this site use terms without knowing the meaning or use of it properly in context....words like prime and green get thrown around here daily....yes Canelo was 23 years old at the time of the fight but boxing is more than about age, hear are stone cold facts

1) Canelo was a pro from october 2005 until the september fight date in 2013 vs mayweather...about 8 years

2) he was 43 fight veteran

3) was he at his prime? no but was a green or inexperienced, absolutely not

4) he defeated 6 world champion by the time of the 5 and a hall of famer albeit a past prime one in Mosley...miguel vazquez, Kermit Cintron, Lovemore Ndou, Carlos Baldomir, and austin trout

5) he was a unified champion

with all this taken into consideration, its pretty fair to say that "green" is an overstatement.

He wasn’t green but he wasn’t anywhere near the fighter he’s turned into.

To think that was Canelo at his best is laughable

Comment

No one at the time felt Canelo was ready. Not even Canelo fans. Easy to look back and try to create a false narrative. I remember all of his opponents and what they were regarded as and how good they were. Canelo was green.

Comment

Yeah I think what most Floyd Tards try to say is that Floyd gets full credit for that win but you guys gotta accept that was the ameture version of Canelo. Bragging about that win is a reach for you guys almost like you need every bit you can get

Comment

Before the Mayweather fight, Canelo fought Austin Trout. Trout was a confident undefeated champion coming off the biggest win of his career. The fight was held in the Alamodome in Texas in front of over 35,000 fans. Anything green about Canelo left after that fight.

Comment

You can make a case that canelo was not green however he wasn’t at his best... I don’t think canelo can ever match Floyd’s boxing mind or speed, canelo had one advantage which was size and power but mayweather took that away before they even got in the ring by making the fight at 52. That was canelos best shot was to be physical and impose his will against Floyd... now if they would fight today, I still think the same holds true... that Floyd’s boxing mind is above that of canelos, but if the fight was at 160, canelo would have that physical advantage and he’d knock Floyd out point blank

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              seems to me many on this site use terms without knowing the meaning or use of it properly in context....words like prime and green get thrown around here daily....yes Canelo was 23 years old at the time of the fight but boxing is more than about age, hear are stone cold facts

1) Canelo was a pro from october 2005 until the september fight date in 2013 vs mayweather...about 8 years

4) he defeated 6 world champion by the time of the 5 and a hall of famer albeit a past prime one in Mosley...miguel vazquez, Kermit Cintron, Lovemore Ndou, Carlos Baldomir, and austin trout

with all this taken into consideration, its pretty fair to say that "green" is an overstatement.
              If this is a kinda roundabout way of saying it was a good win for Floyd then it was.. a better one than I thought at the time, and probably his second best win of the decade in hindsight, even though Canelo has undoubtedly improved since.

I would clarify that you mean he had beaten 1 current champ, 4 former WW champs and one future Lightweight Champ (all at JMW) though... there probably isn't a need to oversell it.
              Last edited by Citizen Koba; 02-19-2020, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Definitely a huge myth. Hearns was younger than what Canelo was when he fought SRL.

Folks trying to downplay this win try to lie on Canelo's age by saying he was 22 years old and even saw some mentions of 21 last year.

Floyd's best performance arguably was when he was 23 years old against Corrales.

This was just a terrible styles match up for Canelo. He is a counter puncher at heart but was facing someone who was more skilled, quicker and had better reaction time. I don't even think Canelo performed bad or anything, it was a high level chess match for a while until Floyd started to take over. We have seen the types of fighters that have given Floyd tough fights, and Canelo simply doesn't have that style.

Comment

Originally posted by ralex View Post
                  He wasn’t green but he wasn’t anywhere near the fighter he’s turned into.

To think that was Canelo at his best is laughable
                  Facts. OP knows it too hes just having a hard time living in the Canelo era.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post

Canelo didnt fight as an amateur. Floyd himself had about 90 amateur fights. So Canelos 43 fights were more similar to an amateur record.

And if you think a 22 year old isnt green you're just a fanboy.

Comment

Working...
                    X