Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the best English fighter of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
    Probably Lennox Lewis IMO. I know his nationality is murky but he says he's English and as an Englishman I'm happy to acknowledge that.
    Yes weve all got something in us and ultimately all stem from Africa. Look at the Queen for one eg has Dutch,Spanish and Swedish blood in her amongst others.

Its our affiliation to one nation that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
      Lennox Lewis is the greatest English fighter. Then Josh is closing the gap and Tyson Fury is behind Josh.

Eubank Sr and Benn aren't on the level of the three up there. And don't ever mention David Haye amongst the greats...Haye never beat anyone and he got knocked out by a 42-yr old Carl Thompson who was never great and was **** average throughout his career. And Carl Froch was never great.
      Josh Warrington?

Comment

Originally posted by Legends456 View Post
        Who do you think was the best English fighter, pound for pound, of all time?
        - -Tom Cribb in a landslide...

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
          Josh Warrington?
          I didn't think you had a smartass side good'en.

Comment

... Some would say Bob Fitzsimmons... some would say Jimmy Wilde... or even Lennox Lewis...

Comment

Lennox Lewis, Carl Froch, Nigel Benn, Frank Bruno, Bob Fitzsimmons, Prince Naseem Hamed, Chris Eubank Senior.

Lennox Lewis has to be the greatest English fighter of all-time.

Comment

For me it is easily Bob but I think it's a curious question.

Took more 0's than any other HW champion

Retired more men than any other HW champion

First man to win the HW crown twice, and did it without losing a fight.

First man to win championships in three different divisions

The only MW champ to ever go to HW and win the title without gaining weight, he actually weighed less for his HW title fight than he had his MW.

Bob Fitzsimmons is the single best fighter the English have ever produced....kinda produced.

Daniel The *** Mendoza if bare knuckle is included

Lennox if Bob is considered too Australian

Mendoza's a iberian sephardic ***

Lennox is Canadian

Bob is an Aussie

The greatest English fighter to actually just be English?

Jem Mace? Gypsy wasn't actually Romani....maybe Irish though, I dunno, He's BK anyway, no one cares.

How Nigerian is Joshua?

Cutting Lennox and Bob for their mixed nationality there's only Josh, Tyson, Haye, Hide, Bruno, & Akinwande Tyson's Irish so...Joshua, Haye, Hide, Bruno, Akinwande....not great really.

Joshua
                Bruno
                Haye
                Hide
                Akinwande

Even then...Akin and Josh are Nigerian....I dunno that Haye, Bruno, or Hide are all that English themselves, but, when trying to pin down the best and most English it becomes more questions than answers quickly.

As an American with American sense of nation I'd say Bob with Lennox second, but Lennox is great and wouldn't talk **** about the last undisputed. In America being from somewhere else or having parents from somewhere else or raised somewhere else doesn't make you less American. In the Queen's lands they like to be separated and classified as such.....and so...not really any great English HWs that are just English.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  For me it is easily Bob but I think it's a curious question.

Took more 0's than any other HW champion

Retired more men than any other HW champion

First man to win the HW crown twice, and did it without losing a fight.

First man to win championships in three different divisions

The only MW champ to ever go to HW and win the title without gaining weight, he actually weighed less for his HW title fight than he had his MW.

Bob Fitzsimmons is the single best fighter the English have ever produced....kinda produced.

Daniel The *** Mendoza if bare knuckle is included

Lennox if Bob is considered too Australian

Mendoza's a iberian sephardic ***

Lennox is Canadian

Bob is an Aussie

The greatest English fighter to actually just be English?

Jem Mace? Gypsy wasn't actually Romani....maybe Irish though, I dunno, He's BK anyway, no one cares.

How Nigerian is Joshua?

Cutting Lennox and Bob for their mixed nationality there's only Josh, Tyson, Haye, Hide, Bruno, & Akinwande Tyson's Irish so...Joshua, Haye, Hide, Bruno, Akinwande....not great really.

Joshua
                  Bruno
                  Haye
                  Hide
                  Akinwande

Even then...Akin and Josh are Nigerian....I dunno that Haye, Bruno, or Hide are all that English themselves, but, when trying to pin down the best and most English it becomes more questions than answers quickly.

As an American with American sense of nation I'd say Bob with Lennox second, but Lennox is great and wouldn't talk **** about the last undisputed. In America being from somewhere else or having parents from somewhere else or raised somewhere else doesn't make you less American. In the Queen's lands they like to be separated and classified as such.....and so...not really any great English HWs that are just English.
                  This is an absurd comment, posted by someone who knows absolutely nothing about England and the people who live here.

Furthermore, if you apply the same absurdly narrow definition of nationality to Americans as you do to the English, you would have to conclude that there has never been a single great American HW, because Dempsey had only a small percentage of Native American blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
                    Josh Warrington?
                    Ted "Kid" Lewis is slightly ahead of Warrington, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                      ... Some would say Bob Fitzsimmons... some would say Jimmy Wilde... or even Lennox Lewis...
                      Jimmy Wilde was Welsh, which illustrates why it is so difficult to rate and classify British fighters by nationality.

Comment

Working...
                      X