Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Case for Deontay Wilder in the Pound-for-Pound Rankings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A-Side Ruiz View Post
    He's been in my top 10 P4P for ages, and if he beats Fury, I will consider the winner of that fight P4P number 1. Wilder is way better P4P than Inoue, he'd get the equivalent of Donaire out of there, anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
    Donaire is a much better boxer than anyone Wilder ever faced.

The HW division is weak, and TBH Wilder has been through the weakest side of the rankings.
    Those Bretzel, Stiverne, Washington guys are not killers by any means.

Ortiz is a cool win, but TBH, he has not beaten anyone decent and his living off winning rounds vs Wilder.

Joshua fought better guys in Ruiz, Parker, Whyte, Povetkin.
    Don't get me wrong Joshua is not on P4P list. None HW are.

The only elite fighter that Wilder fought is Fury IMO and I didn't think Fury even was at his best, didn't think either that Wilder deserved a draw.

Wilder still has to prove things.

He's a TOP PUNCHER in boxing he has proven that X times.

But not a TOP P4P FIGHTER right now, let alone "for ages"

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
      Donaire is a much better boxer than anyone Wilder ever faced.

The HW division is weak, and TBH Wilder has been through the weakest side of the rankings.
      Those Bretzel, Stiverne, Washington guys are not killers by any means.

Ortiz is a cool win, but TBH, he has not beaten anyone decent and his living off winning rounds vs Wilder.

Joshua fought better guys in Ruiz, Parker, Whyte, Povetkin.
      Don't get me wrong Joshua is not on P4P list. None HW are.

The only elite fighter that Wilder fought is Fury IMO and I didn't think Fury even was at his best, didn't think either that Wilder deserved a draw.

Wilder still has to prove things.

He's a TOP PUNCHER in boxing he has proven that X times.

But not a TOP P4P FIGHTER right now, let alone "for ages"
      Donaire get knocked out by Walters, who quite frankly is garbage. He got took to school by Frampton, who himself got took to school by Warrington, who had a much debated win over Galahad, who hardly anyone outside of UK boxing fans has even heard of. The gist of this message is that lower weight fighters are very, very overrated. Wilder is way above Inoue p4P and Fury is up with Crawford and Canelo in the top 3.

Comment

When truly breaking down the p4p make believe list, all of the boxers on it are have considerable talent that separates them from the pack. And there’s usually one attribute that stands out. Crawford has amazing iq, loma has the best footwork, canelo has great counter pinching. Wilder has that right hand. And the pressure he puts on his opponents with it is substantial. They are obviously always weary of it and eventually they have a mental lapse because they’ve been concentrating on it so much. I think that right hand out ranks everyone else on the lists “special attribute”. Not that I think this list means anything. Wilder would knock out a horse. But he certainly should be considered in the top ten, maybe 5.

Comment

For me it's easy - judge Wilder on who he beats. I thought he boxed well against Fury and if you look at the official punch stats - there wasn't a huge amount difference in punches landed. It was just Fury did some moves that made Wilder miss badly - and people focused on those misses rather than what Wilder was landing.

I think we will find out if Wilder deserves to be in the P4P over the next year. I keep saying this but beating an old Stiverne and an old Ortiz doesn't really tell us how good he is.

Also who is Fury?- who has Fury beaten? An old Wlad and that's it and now he's fighting boxers outside the top 20. So he can't be that good or he would be destroying much better fighters. These guys don't deserve to be in the P4P at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
            It may look like Deontay is giving up early rounds, but he’s actually gaining control little by little. Deontay is working on his positioning, trying to get closer and the right angle to line up his opponent for the right hand.”

That's how I usually see his fights.
            Wilder is successful with the right match making and thankfully Fury has no power so Wilder has a chance to undo Shelly Finkles miscalculation.

Comment

I said it many times. Wilder is just poor`s men Vitali Klitschko. I will change my opinion if he beats Tyson Fury.

Prime Arreola that Vitali beat in 2009 was better than Ortiz now.

Comment

If you create a middleweight version of Wilder that only has huge power he is not going to beat Canelo.

Similarly, a lightweight who only brings a big right hand to the table is not going to beat Lomachenko.

That's why Deontay is not P4P.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingfanatic75 View Post
                  Wow you’re a genius! You just described BOXING. Welcome to the boxing forum. If you share your wisdom anymore we all may possibly become geniuses.
                  Exactly... let's not pretend windmill is some genius boxing talent who breaks down other boxers in the ring with his Hi-IQ.

It doesn't take a genius to realise he's a pampered fraud whose resume has been cherry picked.

If however, he knocks the gypsy king out, I may change tune, but there's little chance Fury will get broken down by the one dimensional wilder.

Comment

Every P4P listed has power AND skills AND defense AND footwork AND ring IQ. Wider has more power AND...well, nothing else. Wilder is a one dimensional Shavers without Ernie's skill set.

Originally posted by bulldognyc View Post
                    When truly breaking down the p4p make believe list, all of the boxers on it are have considerable talent that separates them from the pack. And there’s usually one attribute that stands out. Crawford has amazing iq, loma has the best footwork, canelo has great counter pinching. Wilder has that right hand. And the pressure he puts on his opponents with it is substantial. They are obviously always weary of it and eventually they have a mental lapse because they’ve been concentrating on it so much. I think that right hand out ranks everyone else on the lists “special attribute”. Not that I think this list means anything. Wilder would knock out a horse. But he certainly should be considered in the top ten, maybe 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrij View Post
                      Team Wilder forgets that Fury is getting better in rematches too. Fury stopped his opponents convincingly in rematches.
                      What Fury did in his last fight that went undetected was that he beat an inside fighter at his own game. Completely unmentioned is that Wilder has absolutely NO inside skills.

Comment

Working...
                      X