No announcement yet.

Rate the levels of these fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jalen Rose View Post
    Yeah I mean I think there is nuance in all of those situations...and some of it comes down to opinion...I think Floyd (largely because he took care of himself inside and outside the ring) aged very well, so he was generally close to his best even as he aged and went up in weight.

For me I just try and look at what weight a guy was fighting at, his age/performance that night, and also his performances before and after that fight as well...the fact that Canelo was fighting a little bit off of his usual weight there just kind of taints that victory imo...and the fact that Canelo imo is pretty clearly in his prime now, and looking back he was much more of a student at that time than a master as he is now.

So yeah before and after the Floyd fight..Canelo's level was very good...but I don't think that version of him could have hung with GGG or Jacobs/Kovalev like he is doing now...so yeah I just think the weight issue and the age make him a decent amount worse of a win than he would be now for example.
    I got you. I think that version of Canelo could hang with them. Win? It'd be more difficult but certainly possible.

I think Canelo matured more of course but thats part of Canelo peaking, I believe.

I think Canelo was an elite boxer by the time he fought floyd and remained an elite boxer afterwards. He just got better after losing.

That's why I think prime and peak are different. In his prime, Canelo is a special boxer, at his peak Canelo is still a special boxer, even more-so probably.

I think right now Canelo is at his peak, I dont think he will get any better than he currently is.

Canelo entering his prime at Trout was still elite (5) and had room to improve, just like he has shown this improvement since losing to Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      Prime and peak isnt the same thing.

Prime is your best with the capability to show more.

You dont peak on a mountain while still capable of looking up.

Peaking, is exactly that. The best a person will probably ever get.

Hence, like when you are on a mountain at its peak, there is only sky left above you.

After you peak, you decline, nothing more.

So instead, I think for you, your concept of prime and peak are exchangeable words. I would suggest you just pick one to use then. For others, that may not be the case. Like for me, for example.

I think Gervonta is in his prime but nowhere near the point where he cant get any better. For you, Gervonta being in his prime means he is at his best already and will only decline after a certain point. (Probably once he loses I presume?)
      Again I think there is a distinction without a difference here...prime definition is 'a state or time of greatest strength, vigor, or success in a person's life.' peak is 'greatest; maximum'.

In your prime, you are at your peak or very close to it...at your peak you have to be in your prime.

I think Gervonta can improve quite a bit and is already a very good fighter...this weight class or the last one may end up being his best one though, hard to say...physically Gervonta is probably in his prime...how much he improves as a boxer will determine when his real peak/prime years as a boxer are.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        I got you. I think that version of Canelo could hang with them. Win? It'd be more difficult but certainly possible.

I think Canelo matured more of course but thats part of Canelo peaking, I believe.

I think Canelo was an elite boxer by the time he fought floyd and remained an elite boxer afterwards. He just got better after losing.

That's why I think prime and peak are different. In his prime, Canelo is a special boxer, at his peak Canelo is still a special boxer, even more-so probably.

I think right now Canelo is at his peak, I dont think he will get any better than he currently is.

Canelo entering his prime at Trout was still elite (5) and had room to improve, just like he has shown this improvement since losing to Floyd.
        Hey man all we can do it try to call it like we see it...I appreciate your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          Mosley's fought Floyd at about 38 coming off about 16 months layoff. Imagine if that happened today for a Canelo or Lomachenko opponent.....
          So are we going to ignore that floyd was coming out of retirement and had 1 fight with JMM?

Shane was WBA champ and p4p #3

and that Shane was already in camp to fight Berto before the earthquake happened

and that shane jumped in the ring to get that fight and everyone called Floyd scared??

Comment

Originally posted by killamane26 View Post
            this is what always stood out to me
            props to floyd but shane looked physically weaker in the fight before a punch was even thrown.

He looked like he lost muscle mass
            "random drug testing"

Comment

Originally posted by historian larry View Post
              "random drug testing"
              I swear thought about that too. Shane was the first to start getting tested i believe. I remember Floyd brought it up post fight

Comment

Originally posted by historian larry View Post
                So are we going to ignore that floyd was coming out of retirement and had 1 fight with JMM?

Shane was WBA champ and p4p #3

and that Shane was already in camp to fight Berto before the earthquake happened

and that shane jumped in the ring to get that fight and everyone called Floyd scared??
                All I did was state facts. You can twist it any way you feel like it.

Comment

Working...
                X