No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Demise of Kovalev Makes Canelo vs. Ward a 175 Necessity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Letmaku View Post
    Ball hitter vs Cownelo for the money like Floyd/Pac?
    Remember that he offered to come "way down" at 160 and fight Floyd! Hence "lil Floyd" and "lil G", later...

Comment

Dre would be 36 in a few months so he fits the profile, but the dude will have been out of the ring for close to 3 years at the earliest, don't see any way that makes sense.

Could see a close, messy fight - go either way kind of thing that will get scored for the ginger kid.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
        I've been coming round on Canelo, there's some suspect issues, you know what I'm referring to, but the skill is undoubted.

But if there's one fight that will get me rooting for him and screaming at my tv its this one - go for it!

and why did Ward not make great money? 'cos he's a boring-ass grappling, head-butting, low-blow ego-centric low-KO-ratio defese-oriented genius - a lot to admire but not much to root for.
        Originally posted by lieutenant View Post
        This would be a very boring fight. I can already see Ward clinching every 30 seconds trying to scrape a decision win.

(...)
        Ward would "win" vs canelo even if he's 40 yo...

Comment

Originally posted by minemax View Post
          Why Ward if there are other active top LHWs who will beat Canelo?
          Dre is the name even if hes retired. I think Artur beats everyone at 175 right now, but he dont got the name appeal with casuals to make a big fight with Canelo.

Comment

Zero interest in this fight.

Comment

Idk if this is a neccesity like the writer is suggesting, but I do think its the best fight to make next IF its makeable anyway.

Whats at 160? The GGG is still the biggest fight & a lot of fans & Canelo himself would rather not threepet that one. Everyone else there is unknown or unproven.

168 gots a couple interesting fights, but maybe in a couple years when Benavidez gets some more seasoning or Caleb gets some bigger wins or Callum does....well anything. Hes the most lackluster guy with a Ali trophy.

175 gots Artur, but Artur is a risk that no one knows so itd be surprising if the biggest name in the game wanted to giftwrap that kinda guy his biggest check & opportunity of his life for no good reason & when no one is crying for that fight to happen.

So Dre looks like a great fight to make right now.

Comment

Originally posted by minemax View Post
                Why Ward if there are other active top LHWs who will beat Canelo?
                Right! I don't know if they'll beat Canelo but they definitely pose legitimate threats to him. I hate how boxing more than any other sport tries to drag people out of retirement.

Comment

Very risky fight for Canelo. Not very risky for Ward.

If Canelo wins, he’d beat an “old” and inactive Ward coming out of retirement, unranked at 168-175.

If Canelo loses, he would lose to an “old” and inactive Ward coming out of retirement, people will call him all sorts of names and discredit his entire career prior to the Ward fight, even worse than they already do.

Comment

He’s been retired for over 2 years, he’s in his mid 30s, yep that’s out sums up the nature of Canelo matchmaking

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                      By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It's been exactly 775 days but who's counting. Following a pristine run in which he fought 32 times against 31 men and never left a ring without a raised hand, Andre Ward walked off into the sunset as the world's best fighter. Until the weekend, it was probably a pretty uncomplicated retirement, too. The light heavyweight division...
                      [Click Here To Read More]

I really like this footnote...

NOTE: Fights previewed are only those involving a sanctioning body's full-fledged title-holder – no interim, diamond, silver, etc. Fights for WBA "world championships" are only included if no "super champion" exists in the weight class.
                      props to the writer

Comment

Working...
                      X