Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn’t Awkward that Golovkin insists at 160? Seriously this is a joke...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
    If that div is weak, yes
    If that guy is all about being great, yes

Conquer other div's when the one you're in is dead.
    The problem I have is that 154 wasn't weak when Canelo fought Cotto for a middleweight belt nor was it weak when he left it after beating Liam Smith. 160 wasn't weak when he jumped up to 168 for Rocky Felding or 175 for Kovalev. 168 wasn't weak when he jumped up to 175 for Kovalev. Light on household names sure but not light on talent.

This is a case of Canelo trying to be great on a superficial level rather than in a real way.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees7448 View Post
      The problem I have is that 154 wasn't weak when Canelo fought Cotto for a middleweight belt nor was it weak when he left it after beating Liam Smith. 160 wasn't weak when he jumped up to 168 for Rocky Felding or 175 for Kovalev. 168 wasn't weak when he jumped up to 175 for Kovalev. Light on household names sure but not light on talent.

This is a case of Canelo trying to be great on a superficial level rather than in a real way.
      Prime GGG didn't even dare to risk chasing ''superficial'' greatness.

I know, no one wanted to fight him (even though he has found plenty of people to fight him)..............

Comment

Prime GGG didn't even dare to risk chasing ''superficial'' greatness.
        You don't have to move up divisions to be great. Marvin Hagler didn't. Carlos Monzon didn't. Bernard Hopkins was roughly 4 years older than GGG is now when he moved up to 175. Sure, GGG never reached their peaks but part of what seperated them from GGG is that they had talented fighters from lower weight classes who moved up to challenge them. Hagler had Leonard, Duran and Hearns. Hopkins had ODLH and Tito. Canelo could have been that guy for GGG but he wasn't quite able to get over the hump. That's why he is so thirsty for the trilogy fight. As much as he says he's not going to wait for Canelo there is no doubt in my mind that he's going to do what he can to get that shot. Canelo wanted him to get a belt so he grabbed one. Canelo probably won't come back to 160 for his next fight so he's probably going to feel like his best shot is to win a belt at 168. He'll try for Billy Jo Saunders since he was already his backup plan if the Canelo rematch didn't take place in 2018. His legacy was built on the idea that the best guys wouldn't fight him so for him not to be able to get that W when he did have the chance is a real blow.
        Last edited by yankees7448; 11-04-2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pittapatta66 View Post
          hes a fraud as many have been saying for years. he better not call out kovalev now or that makes him look weak af - canelo had the courage to go up whereas g has hidden himself at mw. i along with many other im sure have been eagerly awaiting the day that ggg retires so we can stop talking about him every second thread and so his bandwagon boxing fans can finally fuk off out of here
          Why not...Canelo fought Jacobs after GGG...GGG should follow in Canelo's footsteps here...isn't that what you guys want

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
            The fraud actually managed to get a draw vs some one yall calling this evening P4p king and this being past it.

Not that bad
            Exactly, His Draw and Win against GGG is what catapulted Canelo to this status, by claiming Gennady is a fraud they are actually ****ing on Canelo's legacy LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by jdp28tx View Post
              If he refuses to fight the best of his division then the answer is yes.
              That’s half of the truth. The other half is that great fighters have traditionally moved at least 1 weight class to make a big fight or two. He’s had his chances to go to 168, and he’s turned them down. I seriously doubt he’ll go to 168 to fight Canelo next year.

And now that there are finally a number of challenges at 160, he won’t fight them either.

He’s a fraud and a myth. Sucks because he is a really good boxer with great power whose style is easy to root for. And now he’s old with a ton still to prove and if he does try to take challenges now he’s going to get beat by most of the top 10 guys around his weight.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees7448 View Post
                You don't have to move up divisions to be great. Marvin Hagler didn't. Carlos Monzon didn't. Bernard Hopkins was roughly 4 years older than GGG is now when he moved up to 175. Sure, GGG never reached their peaks but part of what seperated them from GGG is that they had talented fighters from lower weight classes who moved up to challenge them. Hagler had Leonard, Duran and Hearns. Hopkins had ODLH and Tito. Canelo could have been that guy for GGG but he wasn't quite able to get over the hump. That's why he is so thirsty for the trilogy fight. As much as he says he's not going to wait for Canelo there is no doubt in my mind that he's going to do what he can to get that shot. Canelo wanted him to get a belt so he grabbed one. Canelo probably won't come back to 160 for his next fight so he's probably going to feel like his best shot is to win a belt at 168. He'll try for Billy Jo Saunders since he was already his backup plan if the Canelo rematch didn't take place in 2018. His legacy was built on the idea that the best guys wouldn't fight him so for him not to be able to get that W when he did have the chance is a real blow.
                I know all about HOFers who never made moves. Back in those days, don't think there were so many div's.

But in the age of PPV, if a guy wants to be known, he has to take chances. Unbiased fans will recognize a dead div and wonder out loud why dude is staying there.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
                  He wants to fight Canelo.
                  Most people think he's the best in the division.
                  He has also fought him twice and refuses to acknowledge the other fighters in the division that can be considered threats and even better than him at this point In his career.

Comment

I know all about HOFers who never made moves. Back in those days, don't think there were so many div's.

But in the age of PPV, if a guy wants to be known, he has to take chances. Unbiased fans will recognize a dead div and wonder out loud why dude is staying there.
                    Why are you playing Yankee doodle’s game? Lol. He’s trying his best to justify GGG’s legacy while blaming Canelo for everything.

In the real world what man says, “well if this guy did it then you can’t hate me for doing it” (Hagler, Monzon). Imagine being in GGg’s shoes. If you are seriously that good you would’ve done challenges at different weights, particularly if you’re a guy with said testimony that 154-168 was easy. There’s no other way around it. Even boxers have stated their frustrations with their managers or promoters for fights they’ve wanted.

In the film Rocky where he’s yelling at his son about cowards blaming others is one of the most realistic things in life, ironically the whole movie is based on life and boxing even though he was telling his son tips regarding a different career

Comment

Originally posted by I'm Widdit! View Post
                      Why are you playing Yankee doodle’s game? Lol. He’s trying his best to justify GGG’s legacy while blaming Canelo for everything.

In the real world what man says, “well if this guy did it then you can’t hate me for doing it” (Hagler, Monzon). Imagine being in GGg’s shoes. If you are seriously that good you would’ve done challenges at different weights, particularly if you’re a guy with said testimony that 154-168 was easy. There’s no other way around it. Even boxers have stated their frustrations with their managers or promoters for fights they’ve wanted.

In the film Rocky where he’s yelling at his son about cowards blaming others is one of the most realistic things in life, ironically the whole movie is based on life and boxing even though he was telling his son tips regarding a different career
                      I had had enough of reading about guys from the past. This is the here and now. A more moveable friendly era. GGG stood still when there were possibilities.

Comment

Working...
                      X