No announcement yet.

The Myth That GGG Has 20 Title Defenses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stokely View Post
    These morons count his title defenses when he was the WBA interim/regular champion. A fake belt that no one cares about.

He was finally elevated to WBA Champion on November 2012 after Daniel Geale got stripped and since then only defended the title 15 times, and one of them was a draw.
    GGG's WBA title defences are legit.

He was mandatory challenger for the full WBA title, held by Felix Sturm.

Sturm and GGG had the same promoter, who payed the WBA to create a new version of their "super" title at MW and give it to Sturm so he didn't have to fight GGG.

GGG then won the WBA title, which had been downgraded to "regular", but wasn't allowed to fight for the super title.
    Last edited by kafkod; 08-21-2019, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post

Sturm and GGG had the same promoter, who payed the WBA to create a new version of their "super" title at MW and give it to Sturm so he didn't have to fight GGG.

GGG then won the WBA title, which had been downgraded to "regular", but wasn't allowed to fight for the super title.
      And even if G only had the “regular” belt (ignoring that the regular is the original world champion and the super was made up) you are supposed to be upgraded to the super automatically after 5 defenses.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        And even if G only had the “regular” belt (ignoring that the regular is the original world champion and the super was made up) you are supposed to be upgraded to the super automatically after 5 defenses.
        You were supposed to be upgraded to super champion only if you unified the WBA with another belt. Sturm didn't do that, but the WBA still upgraded him and blocked GGG from fighting him.

The whole thing was a scam which came to light after the company that promoted Sturm and GGG went bankrupt and people who worked for them started talking.

Imagine if Jermell Charlo held the WBC title for the next 7 years and defended it 20 times against the best in the division .. except Canelo, who refused to fight him.

Would people say, "Nah .. Charlo ain't the real WBC champ, Canelo is"

Comment

You were supposed to be upgraded to super champion only if you unified the WBA with another belt. Sturm didn't do that, but the WBA still upgraded him and blocked GGG from fighting him.

The whole thing was a scam which came to light after the company that promoted Sturm and GGG went bankrupt and people who worked for them started talking.

Imagine if Jermell Charlo held the WBC title for the next 7 years and defended it 20 times against the best in the division .. except Canelo, who refused to fight him.

Would people say, "Nah .. Charlo ain't the real WBC champ, Canelo is"
          Yup. Like I mentioned in another thread, if you just called Canelo and Golovkin “fighter 1” and “fighter 2” and wrote the backstory, people would call Canelo a coward

Comment

What happens to Hopkins record if you remove guys who aren’t middleweights?
            Ditto for Hagler..

Comment

Yup. Like I mentioned in another thread, if you just called Canelo and Golovkin “fighter 1” and “fighter 2” and wrote the backstory, people would call Canelo a coward
              When boxing fans in years to come are reading up on the history of the MW division, they will come across story of the GGG/Canelo saga and shake their heads in disbelief that anybody could do what Canelo did and still have fans.

Comment

When boxing fans in years to come are reading up on the history of the MW division, they will come across story of the GGG/Canelo saga and shake their heads in disbelief that anybody could do what Canelo did and still have fans.
                “Daddy, why was middleweight 155 for a couple years?”

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                  Ditto for Hagler..
                  Ditto for anyone. It’s a ****** argument. Go through anyone’s resume and you’ll find opponents that have moved up in weight lol

Hell, Fury fought a Cruiserweight earlier this year!

Comment

“Daddy, why was middleweight 155 for a couple years?”
                    Canelo:

"I'm the WBC and lineal MW champion of the world .. but I'm not a MW. 155 or no fight "

"I'll fight GGG now! Bring the gloves!" (Fights Amir Khan)

"I'll fight GGG next! 160 is no problem! Feel my balls Abel ..." (Vacates MW title and fights Liam Smith at 154)

"I moved back down to 154 because I'm not big enough to fight at 160" (Fights Chavez Jr at 164)

Last edited by kafkod; 08-21-2019, 06:14 AM.

Comment

the first sentence in this post is utter nonsense

the rest of this post could be correct..... but, it categorically proves that the first 11 defences on Golovkin's record are not legit

the WBA " junior " titles are rubbish..... they are just like the WBC Franchise title
                      Last edited by aboutfkntime; 08-21-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X