Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andy Ruiz-Anthony Joshua II Confirmed For 12/7, Saudi Arabia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andy Ruiz-Anthony Joshua II Confirmed For 12/7, Saudi Arabia

Anthony Joshua will be heading to the Middle East on December 7 as the deposed heavyweight boxing champion attempts to wrest back three of the four principal world title belts from Andy Ruiz Jr on neutral territory, The Telegraph can reveal.

It is understood an official announcement will be made today confirming that Joshua will face Ruiz for the IBF, WBA and WBO titles in Riyadh, with Saudi Arabian sports en****** having put up close to 100 million US dollars for the contest to take place there, according to sources. DAZN, in the USA, and Sky Box Office, in the UK, will be airing the championship fight.

There were other options. An offer was tabled by the Dubai authorities while Cardiff's Principality Stadium was also in the running for the much-anticipated rematch after Ruiz stopped Joshua at Madison Square Garden in New York on June 1 in one of the most seismic upsets ever witnessed in the history of heavyweight boxing.

On a dramatic night, having been dropped to the canvas himself by Joshua in the third round, Ruiz then responded by felling the Briton twice before referee Mike Griffin waved the fight off in the seventh round, Joshua having been felled twice more, and, in his view, not fit to continue.

Ruiz had taken the fight on five-and-a-half weeks notice, after Joshua's original opponent, Jarrell Miller, had tested positive for three banned substances in random tests leading up to the contest.

In the last 11 months, Saudi Arabia has hosted two major bouts involving high-profile British boxers. In September last year the World Boxing Super Series super-middleweight tournament final between Callum Smith and George Groves took place in Jeddah, won by Smith, along with Amir Khan’s last contest against the Australian Billy Dib in July.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2...abia-december/
    Last edited by BangEM; 08-09-2019, 03:46 AM.

Never going to happen. We have these stupid rich Arab wanting a big fight stories every year for the last 10 years and nothing ever comes of them.

Comment

This is from The Telegraph but I don't trust drunkard Gareth Davies since he has a way of creating rumours after drinking a few pints.

However, if this is true, this might end up as one of the biggest grossing bouts in boxing history. £70million = $100million from Saudi Arabia alone. DAZN is gonna drop its own cheque. UK PPV. Then TV rights from over 100 countries. Holy crap!

It's a pity Ruiz signed his life away for just $10million and his refusal to fight in the UK only made AJ richer since he'll destroy Ruiz anywhere in the rematch even in his mum's bedroom unless he gets lucky with another perfect temple shot and AJ has another off-day.

British fans are pissed at the choice of Saudi Arabia tho. Hopefully AJ will fight in the UK in early 2020 when he smacks Pulev up in his mandatory.

2x!

Comment

Boxing Scene top headlines are fast and accurate. There is nothing about this there so I don't believe it unless they say it is true.

Comment

GTFOH! It looks to me that Eddie just blinked. Why doesn't he take Ruiz to court to start legal procedures against him?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
            Never going to happen. We have these stupid rich Arab wanting a big fight stories every year for the last 10 years and nothing ever comes of them.
            The World Boxing Super Series has changed that perception tbh.

Forget the Khan farce, this fight could easily land in Saudi.

The Telegraph is a well respected news source.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
              I think it's very prudent of Hearn. It's obvious that the other side is trying to provoke a legal battle over the venue which could drag on for several months or even years. By that time, Ruiz would be title less.

Also, you have Bob Arum pressuring the IBF to call in their mandatory defense. So in order to keep those titles intact, Eddie has no other recourse than to acquiesce and capitulate to Al Haymon's demands or else he risks losing all the titles indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                GTFOH! It looks to me that Eddie just blinked. Why doesn't he take Ruiz to court to start legal procedures against him?
                AJ is about to be £70million richer (almost $100million) since Ruiz is going to make $10million with perhaps extra $2-3million, lol.

But your boy Wilder is going to make $7million fighting 58-yr old Ortiz, lol.

The cash cow stays getting richer, loooool. Haters gon hate!

Wilder's dreaming about generational wealth while AJ stays making generational wealth. Now I see why Wilder is jealous and bitter, lol

Comment

It’s been confirmed. I knew this weeks ago anyway

Comment

I will wait until a press conference or announcement from Eddie Hearn.

'Not really fond of the destination to be fair'.

Comment

Working...
                    X