No announcement yet.

Boxings bubble will eventually burst.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

I know Evan Rutkowski said the PBC budget with FOX is high variance and PPVs could determine just how much money they have in the upcoming years and that's why most PPVs are going on FOX in the early going.
    I stopped paying attention to to him a while ago when he was talking about that MLB show being a huge get for DAZN. That showed me he was cheerleading instead of being objective. I said it here and on Twitter. The MLB audience isn't the audience that'll subscribe to streaming apps. A lot of these guys have an agenda and he's one them. I really can't think of a correct prediction he's made. All the PBC PPV fights he said would fail have exceeded what he said they would

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Ask anyone who claimed DAZN has 1.2 mil subs how did they almost double their subs from the Canelo/Jacobs fight and why is that 1.2 mil number the exact same worldwide viewing number from Canelo's last fight

The average MLB viewer has an AARP card. Why would they think that audience would subscribe to a streaming service?!?!?
      I was told that the writer (s) of the article simply used the wrong number and were misled from the Canelo article. The boxing journalist contacted someone with ties to DAZn and was told it was false.

Well, DAZN is just trying to get rights to every sports league. The problem is, they need to get actual rights to the games and not just this show.

AT&T and the NFL are having troubles with Sunday Ticket but DAZN supposedly may not want the entire package which is like $2 billion so who knows what happens there. If they even get part of that package, then that will do wonders for DAZN. Far more than any boxing or MMA or MLB show will do for it.

Comment

I stopped paying attention to to him a while ago when he was talking about that MLB show being a huge get for DAZN. That showed me he was cheerleading instead of being objective. I said it here and on Twitter. The MLB audience isn't the audience that'll subscribe to streaming apps. A lot of these guys have an agenda and he's one them. I really can't think of a correct prediction he's made. All the PBC PPV fights he said would fail have exceeded what he said they would
        Meh, he still speaks a lot of sense in what he says. He may have some biased towards him for DAZN since a bunch of his HBO friends work there, but he does have more insight than the regular Joe. During all this time while everyone has trashed the PBC ratings, he said it is unfair until they start getting Smackdown and NFL promotion. If the ratings are still down after that, then you can criticize them, but until then it is expected.

Comment

Wonder how Dana entering the boxing world will effect the current wave. Maybe he ends up buying everything.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
            Wonder how Dana entering the boxing world will effect the current wave. Maybe he ends up buying everything.
            He's not buying anything.

But Endeavor sure could shake it up. If they end up buying the PBC and TR? That is a complete game changer and they likely create some sort of league with fighters of both companies.

Comment

https://johnwallstreet.com/dazn-nba-nhl-redzone/amp/?
              Boxing Bubble Will Eventually Burst

Rumblings that the sport of boxing is sitting on a bubble are getting louder. Sources close to ESPN+ tell JohnWallStreet that while the OTT service “has been able to attribute subscriber growth to the company’s investment in the UFC, boxing has not delivered.” DAZN and Showtime have also posted underwhelming viewership figures for recent high-profile fights leading one boxing insider to say, “I don’t see boxing as this thriving sport. I don’t see a lot of sponsorship. There’s not millions of people watching. I see media companies spending crazy amounts of money hoping to use the sport as a building block for their SVOD products. That’s a bubble that will eventually burst.”
              I been posting that about boxing for months! While people want to focus on PBC Rating and just PBC, as a whole this sport is not doing well at all in the States. Luckly DAZN, FOX, ESPN, Showtime are still spending money on it but that won't last because it is a sport that doesn't do well with that important 18-34 Demo

The fans that boxing fans do have are not enough, this sports doesn't draw in new fans in anyway and younger fans think this sport is so boring and would rather watch UFC

I can't lie I've been enjoying UFC more than Boxing as of late as well
              Last edited by sicko; 07-17-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Marinating and trash undercards are the problem.

Comment

Hearn said something similar in his interview with IFL yesterday. Of course he said everyone else except DAZN. But I think it's happening across the board
                  Well this was DAZN's intention, to take out the competition. In Top Ranks case it may be that the effects are starting to show. I see the interview and he said something along the lines of them spending even more money now, but if the articles to be believed then its all in vain and hes guiding them into the abyss.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                    What is your guys theory? The budget that was there in the beginning of the year has been pulled or cut?

I know Evan Rutkowski said the PBC budget with FOX is high variance and PPVs could determine just how much money they have in the upcoming years and that's why most PPVs are going on FOX in the early going.
                    Where did the $90mil budget come from, Kellerman and Rafael? **** you have to say something if PBC are saying $120mil, DAZN are saying $125mil before Canelo and GGG come on board. They have to look competitive to onlookers, and potential signings. But where does $90mil show? Either the PPV flop got the budget cut, or it was never there in the first place, my guesses

Comment

All true.......boxing just sucks these days.

Fights that people want to see are just not being made, even when the fighters are signed to the same platform. Ex. DAZN with Nelo not fighting GGG even though thats a fight that a lot of people want to see.

Too many promoters, networks and too much bull****.

UFC is just a better product these days, and I have personally been watching a lot more UFC over Boxing, and I can honestly say that I ever thought the day would come. It took the MMA game a long time, but today the fighters are quality. The got good BJJ, decent boxing, decent all around fighting and its getting better.

They need to make fights. If they are banking on "ethnic minorities" to drive the sport that will simply not last. You can't build your business model around the notion that every Mexican in the US will buy a Nelo fight. You can't bank on every Filipino buying a Manny PPV......who is next? The "Russians"? How many PPVs can GGG and Loma sell? That's what I thought. African Americans got plenty of fighters in the UFC so they don't need to gravitate to boxing.......what do we got left?

So what do we do now?

The only solution is to put the best against the best, biggest names against biggest names or the sport will simply die and forget about the millions.

Seems that the only way out is for the sanctioning bodies to rule with an iron fist and force fights, and the different promoters and networks just have to figure it out.

There should be a big unification fight every damn month in boxing.

Force Wilder vs. AJ, Loma vs. Davis, Nelo vs GGG III, TC vs. Spence.....make it happen and the sport will pick up steam, otherwise its the slow demise and a complete MMA takeover. STOP hanging on to the ZERO. Let them fight, let them loose, let them rematch, mix it the **** up.
                      Last edited by Banderivets; 07-17-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X