No announcement yet.

Boxings bubble will eventually burst.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxings bubble will eventually burst.

DAZN’s “RedZone-Like” MLB Show a “Complete Dud”, Makes Similar NBA/NHL Programming Unlikely

Sports by Brooks and Front Office Sports reported that DAZN is interested in producing live NBA and NHL whiparound shows (think: NFL RedZone) as they’ve done with MLB, but sources tell JohnWallStreet that “ChangeUp has been a complete dud. While the show is well produced, it simply hasn’t driven new subs as hoped.” The decision to invest in ChangeUp – “a particularly costly way of getting into business with the league” – was said to be “mainly [executive chairman John] Skipper’s”, so we’ve heard that “there’s now a sense of vindication within the building among those who had opposed it.” The perception exists that with NBA and NHL whiparound shows bound to experience a similar fate, “unless John is making decisions unilaterally, DAZN won’t be making the same mistake again.”

Boxing Bubble Will Eventually Burst

Rumblings that the sport of boxing is sitting on a bubble are getting louder. Sources close to ESPN+ tell JohnWallStreet that while the OTT service “has been able to attribute subscriber growth to the company’s investment in the UFC, boxing has not delivered.” DAZN and Showtime have also posted underwhelming viewership figures for recent high-profile fights leading one boxing insider to say, “I don’t see boxing as this thriving sport. I don’t see a lot of sponsorship. There’s not millions of people watching. I see media companies spending crazy amounts of money hoping to use the sport as a building block for their SVOD products. That’s a bubble that will eventually burst.”

https://johnwallstreet.com/dazn-nba-nhl-redzone/amp/?

Hey, maybe boxing will be forced to marinate less, and instead create a system for the best fighters to actually fight one another leading to real championships??

Just joking. Spence vs. Garcia, and Thurman vs. Pacquaio is SO much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
      Hey, maybe boxing will be forced to marinate less, and instead create a system for the best fighters to actually fight one another leading to real championships??

Just joking. Spence vs. Garcia, and Thurman vs. Pacquaio is SO much better.
      Spence vs. Porter

Comment

Nice post. Welcome back...

Need new azz pics... please...

Comment

I've been saying for the last few weeks somethings happened to Top Ranks budget, or the $90mil Kellerman insisted they had was nonsense. What the hell they got to show for $90mil?

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
            I've been saying for the last few weeks somethings happened to Top Ranks budget, or the $90mil Kellerman insisted they had was nonsense. What the hell they got to show for $90mil?
            Hearn said something similar in his interview with IFL yesterday. Of course he said everyone else except DAZN. But I think it's happening across the board

Comment

Good

these marinating big fights bs is killing the sport

golovkin vs ham rolls? fury vs schwarz wtf khan vs dib lol etc etc

Comment

This is what I've been saying all year. Boxing ratings have taken a big dip. Now, that could be due to streaming viewership increasing, but probably more so to more boxing not necessarily being a good thing. The sport is fragmented and while it is cheaper to show compared to other sports, the type of investment we see in boxing will not continue.

Boxing simply put won't increase subscribers. Just won't. This is why all this talk of DAZN having 1.2 million subscribers in the US is largely inaccurate and not true (Was told this by a boxing journalist). Also why boxing is hugely irrelevant in the long term success of ESPN+ or DAZN.

Getting a freaking Redzone type of show for MLB never made any sense. People care about the entire NFL largely due to betting and fantasy football. Fantasy baseball nor fantasy basketball are nearly as big.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                  Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  Hearn said something similar in his interview with IFL yesterday. Of course he said everyone else except DAZN. But I think it's happening across the board
                  What is your guys theory? The budget that was there in the beginning of the year has been pulled or cut?

I know Evan Rutkowski said the PBC budget with FOX is high variance and PPVs could determine just how much money they have in the upcoming years and that's why most PPVs are going on FOX in the early going.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

Boxing simply put won't increase subscribers. Just won't. This is why all this talk of DAZN having 1.2 million subscribers in the US is largely inaccurate and not true (Was told this by a boxing journalist). Also why boxing is hugely irrelevant in the long term success of ESPN+ or DAZN.
                    Ask anyone who claimed DAZN has 1.2 mil subs how did they almost double their subs from the Canelo/Jacobs fight and why is that 1.2 mil number the exact same worldwide viewing number from Canelo's last fight

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                    getting a freaking Redzone type of show for MLB never made any sense. People care about the entire NFL largely due to betting and fantasy football. Fantasy baseball nor fantasy basketball are nearly as big.
                    The average MLB viewer has an AARP card. Why would they think that audience would subscribe to a streaming service?!?!?

Comment

Working...
                    X