Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxings bubble will eventually burst.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HBO saw this coming and decided to leave the business entirely rather than sink nine figures into a war that nobody was going to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
      Where did the $90mil budget come from, Kellerman and Rafael? **** you have to say something if PBC are saying $120mil, DAZN are saying $125mil before Canelo and GGG come on board. They have to look competitive to onlookers, and potential signings. But where does $90mil show? Either the PPV flop got the budget cut, or it was never there in the first place, my guesses
      It came from Kellerman.

But before that they were talking about it being 60-70M and then it increased after Fury came aboard. And if he is getting paid 10M+ for a fight, that would explain the increase.

You have guys like Lomachenko making nearly 4-5M fighting the likes of Crolla. Then all of a sudden his fight against Campbell heads to the UK. Luckily, it is looking like Crawford vs Mean Machine will be on ESPN in October on a Friday night.

I don't know, either the budget got slashed mid-way or they used far too much of it already. Which I'm not sure if that is the case. Or could be that Kellerman saying 90M was never true in the first place.

Comment

I was afraid investors might start coming to this conclusion. DAZN was destined to flop from the start, but ESPN+ can succeed. The problem is that they're top fighters in Fury, Crawford and Lomachenko aren't that popular in the grand scheme of things. And they put them on ESPN+ and ppv too often for them to gain exposure. They do a good job the week of their fights (only time) promoting them however.

Showtime hasn't been doing great, but Wilder can keep them afloat if he stays popular. FOX are the only ones really benefiting.

Comment

Boxing is not in a good spot right now. Pro boxing is being crushed in the ratings by reruns of Grey's Anatomy and America's Funniest Home Video's. HBO did the right thing by getting out.

Comment

Working...
          X