Pacquiao Plans On Re-Conquering The World

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao Plans On Re-Conquering The World

http://www.boxing.com/pacquiao_plans...the_world.html

"One thing we have an agreement on is that we’re not here just to make money, just to fight nobodies. We’re here to be the best…”

Four years ago, multi-division world champ Manny Pacquiao had just cashed in on the monster payday against Floyd Mayweather he had been pursuing for years and was claiming a bum shoulder that would not only excuse the loss to his archrival, but also ease him into a dignified retirement.

Things didn’t quite end up with him on a rocking chair, tending to Filipino business as a full-time Senator and ex-boxer, though.

Long-time promoter Bob Arum ran Pacquiao out to the ring three more times post-Mayweather, the third time being the well-expected screw job loss that removed the WBO belt from around his waist and allowed for Arum to eventually transfer some of the Filipino icon’s mojo to Terence Crawford by way of sloppy mauler Jeff Horn.

This would’ve been a second ideal jumping-off point into retirement for Manny. Victimized by the business that had served him so well, there would’ve been a degree of poetic justice in being devoured the way he was by Arum and Horn on Horn’s Australian home turf.

But, no. Pacquiao still felt like he had something left and went about proving it.

A seven-round destruction of Lucas Matthysse as a promotional free agent and a dominant decision win over Adrien Broner in his first fight under the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) banner proved that he was not done and that, at the very least, he was still a top five or six welterweight.

And now he’s set to meet Keith Thurman on July 20 in a bout that could send him straight into the top three and, at 40 years of age, turn his focus from proving that he belongs to proving that he’s the very best.

“One thing we have an agreement on is that we’re not here just to make money, just to fight nobodies,” trainer Freddie Roach recently told Fight Hub TV. “We’re here to be the best. I mean, that’s why we’re fighting. After this fight we want to fight the best guy out there. I mean we’re kinda hunting for Mayweather a little bit, yes. We’d like that one back one more time, yes. But if it doesn’t come and Errol Spence does, well I mean, that could definitely be our next fight, or [Terence] Crawford or—there’s a lot of guys out there that are very good at 147. So, I mean, there’s some good competition.”

Roach is famous for hyping Manny’s abilities and exploits to ridiculous levels, but he sees flaws in all of the major welterweights ranked ahead of his fighter and feels Manny’s strengths play into those weaknesses.

“You know,” Roach said, “Spence just let Mikey Garcia go the distance with him and, you know, Mikey’s just a little guy and I thought Spence—I thought he would win by knockout but he didn’t even come close in that fight. How great is he? I mean I coached him on the Olympic team back in the day and he’s a very good kid and works hard and so forth, but the thing is in that fight I didn’t see much.”

Just two years ago, with the media calling for his retirement post-Horn loss, it would’ve been hard to imaging Pacquiao reestablishing himself as a high-end presence in the fiercely competitive welterweight class, one win away from being one of the division’s big three. Not many boxing people think that he has much of a chance against Spence and Crawford should he get past Thurman, but, then again, not many people thought he could work his way up to an even-footing bout with Thurman, either.

If there’s anything we’ve come to learn over the course of Manny Pacquiao’s 40 years on this planet and 24 years as a professional prizefighter, it’s that this guy has a knack for pulling off the impossible.

After pac beat thurman he will fight the winner of Spence/porter and become the king of the ww again.

Comment

Man. You got high hopes. But I hope your right Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Htown-Finest View Post
        Man. You got high hopes. But I hope your right Lol
        Imagine if pac will beat thurman and then fight the winner of Spence/porter and then win again that would be another unbelievable achievements at the age of 41.

Comment

Originally posted by pasawayako View Post
          Imagine if pac will beat thurman and then fight the winner of Spence/porter and then win again that would be another unbelievable achievements at the age of 41.
          Pac would be a certified top 5 GOAT without question if he were to do that

Some would say even top 3 ever as he would beat 2 undefeated ‘young’ boxers in their prime

That would set up a fight with Bud.

There was a thread about this I Think not too long ago

Comment

Originally posted by pasawayako View Post
            http://www.boxing.com/pacquiao_plans...the_world.html

"One thing we have an agreement on is that we’re not here just to make money, just to fight nobodies. We’re here to be the best…”

Four years ago, multi-division world champ Manny Pacquiao had just cashed in on the monster payday against Floyd Mayweather he had been pursuing for years and was claiming a bum shoulder that would not only excuse the loss to his archrival, but also ease him into a dignified retirement.

Things didn’t quite end up with him on a rocking chair, tending to Filipino business as a full-time Senator and ex-boxer, though.

Long-time promoter Bob Arum ran Pacquiao out to the ring three more times post-Mayweather, the third time being the well-expected screw job loss that removed the WBO belt from around his waist and allowed for Arum to eventually transfer some of the Filipino icon’s mojo to Terence Crawford by way of sloppy mauler Jeff Horn.

This would’ve been a second ideal jumping-off point into retirement for Manny. Victimized by the business that had served him so well, there would’ve been a degree of poetic justice in being devoured the way he was by Arum and Horn on Horn’s Australian home turf.

But, no. Pacquiao still felt like he had something left and went about proving it.

A seven-round destruction of Lucas Matthysse as a promotional free agent and a dominant decision win over Adrien Broner in his first fight under the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) banner proved that he was not done and that, at the very least, he was still a top five or six welterweight.

And now he’s set to meet Keith Thurman on July 20 in a bout that could send him straight into the top three and, at 40 years of age, turn his focus from proving that he belongs to proving that he’s the very best.

“One thing we have an agreement on is that we’re not here just to make money, just to fight nobodies,” trainer Freddie Roach recently told Fight Hub TV. “We’re here to be the best. I mean, that’s why we’re fighting. After this fight we want to fight the best guy out there. I mean we’re kinda hunting for Mayweather a little bit, yes. We’d like that one back one more time, yes. But if it doesn’t come and Errol Spence does, well I mean, that could definitely be our next fight, or [Terence] Crawford or—there’s a lot of guys out there that are very good at 147. So, I mean, there’s some good competition.”

Roach is famous for hyping Manny’s abilities and exploits to ridiculous levels, but he sees flaws in all of the major welterweights ranked ahead of his fighter and feels Manny’s strengths play into those weaknesses.

“You know,” Roach said, “Spence just let Mikey Garcia go the distance with him and, you know, Mikey’s just a little guy and I thought Spence—I thought he would win by knockout but he didn’t even come close in that fight. How great is he? I mean I coached him on the Olympic team back in the day and he’s a very good kid and works hard and so forth, but the thing is in that fight I didn’t see much.”

Just two years ago, with the media calling for his retirement post-Horn loss, it would’ve been hard to imaging Pacquiao reestablishing himself as a high-end presence in the fiercely competitive welterweight class, one win away from being one of the division’s big three. Not many boxing people think that he has much of a chance against Spence and Crawford should he get past Thurman, but, then again, not many people thought he could work his way up to an even-footing bout with Thurman, either.

If there’s anything we’ve come to learn over the course of Manny Pacquiao’s 40 years on this planet and 24 years as a professional prizefighter, it’s that this guy has a knack for pulling off the impossible.
            Hopefully Manny wins since Thurman would duck Spence again & chose to fight Adrien Broner or some shi!t. Most of all I hope Pacquiao takes care of his money.

Comment

Originally posted by Crying Brandon View Post
              Hopefully Manny wins since Thurman would duck Spence again & chose to fight Adrien Broner or some shi!t. Most of all I hope Pacquiao takes care of his money.
              He already fought broner . You meant Danny
              Wasn’t pacquiao building a huge yacht? Yeah he might go broke. Donating money and stuff. But damn hopefully Al Haymon teaches him something about investing.

Comment

Honestly, when Pacquiao signed on with PBC I was under the belief that he did it with the hope of securing a Mayweather rematch. But the deeper he goes into the deal, the more I'm starting to believe that maybe he actually is aiming at being the best. Imagine that. I'm sure he wants the Mayweather rematch and he'd take it if it presented itself, but he's fighting a top 3, top 5 welterweight in Keith Thurman. He doesn't need this fight. He could have fought someone else and gotten paid handsomely. So why is Pacquiao taking this fight? Because the legend might actually be aiming at being the best. That's insane at 40 and with 24 + years in the sport.

And let me mention this. You guys can tell me what you think. Pacquiao could have signed on with PBC to get a Mayweather rematch. Or maybe he still wants that rematch but him fighting the best at this stage of his career and beating them, how would the public's perception on him change if he accomplished such a feat? As far as boxing's former era goes, Pacquiao and Mayweather are 1a and 1b at best. Some say Mayweather was the best of that era while others say it was Pacquiao. Don't you think that Pacquiao beating top, elite welterweights of this era is changing the perception? Pacquiao is beating elite welterweights at 40 while Mayweather is retired after having fought MMA and exhibition bouts. Because these fights are only adding to Pacquiao's legacy, do you think it's changing the perception of who's the best from the former era? Thoughts?

Comment

If he could do it it would be flat out amazing BUT it would take a lot of doing.

Comment

Originally posted by JuniorTorres720 View Post
                    Honestly, when Pacquiao signed on with PBC I was under the belief that he did it with the hope of securing a Mayweather rematch. But the deeper he goes into the deal, the more I'm starting to believe that maybe he actually is aiming at being the best. Imagine that. I'm sure he wants the Mayweather rematch and he'd take it if it presented itself, but he's fighting a top 3, top 5 welterweight in Keith Thurman. He doesn't need this fight. He could have fought someone else and gotten paid handsomely. So why is Pacquiao taking this fight? Because the legend might actually be aiming at being the best. That's insane at 40 and with 24 + years in the sport.

And let me mention this. You guys can tell me what you think. Pacquiao could have signed on with PBC to get a Mayweather rematch. Or maybe he still wants that rematch but him fighting the best at this stage of his career and beating them, how would the public's perception on him change if he accomplished such a feat? As far as boxing's former era goes, Pacquiao and Mayweather are 1a and 1b at best. Some say Mayweather was the best of that era while others say it was Pacquiao. Don't you think that Pacquiao beating top, elite welterweights of this era is changing the perception? Pacquiao is beating elite welterweights at 40 while Mayweather is retired after having fought MMA and exhibition bouts. Because these fights are only adding to Pacquiao's legacy, do you think it's changing the perception of who's the best from the former era? Thoughts?
                    Manny definitely wants Mayweather fight.
                    Yes , main reason he signed to PBC. Plus there’s many slight alternatives. Rumor was pac was a bit low in cash

Manny always cared about legacy. Mayweather obviously money and keeping that 0. Without it he would be in suicide watch

Pac already way better legacy wise than May in my view. Way better. There was thread about this where it was unanimous towards pac. Legacy wise

Comment

Working...
                    X