Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venom Page: I Still Feel Effects of Being KO.. AJ Was Damaged Before Fighting Ruiz!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venom Page: I Still Feel Effects of Being KO.. AJ Was Damaged Before Fighting Ruiz!

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/25/micha...feat-10070480/

For those of you who don’t understand how concussions works, let me break it down. After my knockout to Douglas Lima, once I stood up up, I was completely fine for the rest of the day. Once I felt dizzy and sick, I threw up and felt fine again. Went on holiday and wound down. When I got back to London, random little things would make me dizzy. If someone called my name and I turned round, I’d feel dizzy. It’s almost like that feeling of standing up too quick, but in random little motions. It can happen a lot. This is why even up to now I haven’t been allowed to spar. My coaches won’t let me, because I still have checks to do. That fight was five weeks ago. Concussion is ongoing. Imagine being knocked out two weeks ago, you’re still having this little spells and then Andy Ruiz Jr punches you? It sparks up that feeling immediately. I’ve seen Anthony Joshua get rocked and still compose himself to be able to continue. He has a chin, we saw it against Wladimir Klitschko and Dillian Whyte. Ruiz’s shots were glancing, but AJ was still on rocky legs in the seventh. Before I heard the rumours, it looked to me like there was something up. I understand why they’re trying to hush it all up, but concussion affects you. There’s a lot of talk in the back channels about Joshua, but it was his fault he lost. I do believe Ruiz was slightly overlooked. I think AJ took him seriously enough, but Ruiz is disarming. He’s Mr Happy. AJ probably slightly took his eye off the ball. I had money down with my friend for a third-round knockout. Ruiz went down, but AJ then decided to have a scrap. I didn’t get why. He got overexcited and overconfident, and in the moment I understand it because that’s exactly what I did against Lima. AJ is a competent boxer and he hurt him, but you could see when Ruiz got up he wasn’t on rocky legs. AJ stopped watching the fight, assumed he’d kill him.

His response to the initial knockdown tells me AJ was a person who had recently been knocked out. It didn’t seem like the shots were that hard, or concussive, but AJ was on wobbly legs immediately. I’ve said it for a long time, AJ likes a scrap, but he’s not got that one-punch sleeper. He should never be fighting like a Mike Tyson, he should be fighting like a Lennox Lewis – nice and long, hiding behind the jab and searching behind for the right hand. AJ likes to square off with people and that’s always been my worry with him. He’s a great athlete, but he’s very basic in boxing ability. AJ has no other choice but to take the rematch. If he fought anyone else, people would lose respect immediately. It’s a risk worth taking. The fights he wants are gone for the moment. If he knocks him out the way he should have done the first time, it will go down as a blip on his career. Everyone is always harsh on the coach when there’s a loss. You forget the career he’s already had with that fighter. I’ve always questioned AJ’s boxing ability. He has a lot of improving to do, but in every fight I’ve seen a little bit of improvement. I wouldn’t say get rid of Rob McCracken, I’d say bring in another coach to assist. You can’t strip a boxer back and start again. That’s counterproductive. There was a lot of factors that contributed to AJ’s loss. If AJ’s team is loyal to his cause, then they’ll be open to bringing in someone to help. There’s no need for a takeover, it can be done as a team. Tyson Fury is the most technically gifted heavyweight out there, but Deontay Wilder is still the most dangerous heavyweight. We haven’t seen power like his since the Mike Tyson days. I actually think his boxing ability is shocking, he might need to change coach. But, when you’ve got power like that you don’t need to be technical. Wilder would be the greatest heavyweight boxer of his generation if he had even a little bit of basic boxing skills. Wilder will keep going until some random bloke knocks him out.

Even if he was concussed there's still so many warning signs about Joshua. My honest opinion is he started to belive his own hype after the Martin win.

The klitschko fight was a lucky escape and an indication that wholesale changes needed to be made.

Joshua is at the point where I advise he considers how hungry he is, because if his heart just isn't in it anymore he should retire and move to dubai permanently away from the British gutter presss

Comment

I dig Venom, but I think he was feeling the effects of his concussion while he was writing this article.

Too many UK mfers believing Joshua was superman and are reaching like a mfer on any reason Joshua lost besides being 2nd best not unlike us Americans do when our supermen have gotten beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I dig Venom, but I think he was feeling the effects of his concussion while he was writing this article.

Too many UK mfers believing Joshua was superman and are reaching like a mfer on any reason Joshua lost besides being 2nd best not unlike us Americans do when our supermen have gotten beaten.
        I don't think the concussion story is totally out of the realms of possibility. Joshua certainly isn't superman, but I feel Ruiz is still just what he always was, a decent but not elite heavyweight, and Joshua did look odd.

Of course the haters will say nah that was a 100% Joshua and the fanboys will say he was severely compromised. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Point remains I don't know if this is the game for Joshua anymore, he's filthy rich now and seems personally satisfied with what he's done. Might be time like I say to consider if he still wants to do this

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Forget the concussion, you have touched on something here. Too many people over here thinks Joshua is some superhuman. I still cannot believe it. Every time I speak to my causals and boxing fans and say AJ is s hit I get that look.

Now am not saying he isn’t any good at all, but even before the Ruiz defeat I saw him as a prospect with three belts, the issue was you cannot call anyone a prospect once they become a champion, but he had too many flaws, I never gave him a chance against Wilder or Fury, I thought Usyk would beat him.

But I was called crazy, him losing to Ruiz doesn’t shock me at all. I thought he would beat Ruiz in a 12 rounds controversy decision but I never thought he would blow him away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            Forget the concussion, you have touched on something here. Too many people over here thinks Joshua is some superhuman. I still cannot believe it. Every time I speak to my causals and boxing fans and say AJ is s hit I get that look.

Now am not saying he isn’t any good at all, but even before the Ruiz defeat I saw him as a prospect with three belts, the issue was you cannot call anyone a prospect once they become a champion, but he had too many flaws, I never gave him a chance against Wilder or Fury, I thought Usyk would beat him.

But I was called crazy, him losing to Ruiz doesn’t shock me at all. I thought he would beat Ruiz in a 12 rounds controversy decision but I never thought he would blow him away.
            Yea agree. I didn't predict Ruiz to win & I suspect it was gonna go like the biggest Joshua fanboys probably thought it would go if I'm being honest, but I predicted a couple years back Joshua (& Wilder to tbh) would have some regular mfers on their L list. And that definitely happened cuz no one thought Ruiz was anything but a regular guy & we need to see whole lot more of Ruiz before we can define him better at the level he's now at.

And Joshua is good enough to have been undefeated vs some good mfers up til Ruiz so that should say enough to those critical of this fight, but the guy doesn't have superpowers is the relevant too. He's just a guy & a guy who's shown himself to be beatable in the past & even if he didn't lose previous to Ruiz he still had a period where he got shook up nicely by Whyte, Klitschko seemingly had him dead to rights & I even thought Povetkin landed a nice shot on him that if he'd have had a follow up or it'd been thrown in a combo mighta lead to Povetkin having a real chance to win.

Comment

I had a concussion before, and while your brain getting hurt is always always a bad thing it's clear that some are worse than others. Page might be having those issues 5 weeks on but lots of guys don't. After 3-4 days I was fine and free of random dizzy/random throw up incidents.

We have heard stories of AJ being knocked out in sparring, it's weird to me because even though AJ doesn't have great punch resistance, how is he being laid out cold by 4-5 different guys in sparring with big gloves and head guard, yet then when he fights Ruiz he can get up from multiple knockdowns even though he had a bad concussion going in?

The way people keep talking, if AJ was in such bad condition how did he manage to survive the 3rd and keep going for several rounds afterwards? I've heard of NFL players getting concussion and playing on, week in week out, so I don't want to say it's impossible but it didn't look that way to me watching and rewatching the fight.

Comment

He is a world champion and he is supposed to be ready to fight when he defends his title. He lost so he is no longer champion. That's the way it works. All the rest is just excuses. I give AJ credit for not making excuses but others sure are like you are doing in this thread. AJ has a chance to win his titles back so maybe he will if he just had an off night. But if Ruiz wins again he is just better and AJ is not consistently good enough to be a world champ. That's reality. World champions rarely get KOed in sparring with the giant gloves. If they do they may not have a world champion level chin and that might be a big weakness for AJ.

Comment

The concussion story is false. Even the guy that supposedly ko’d him said it never happened. Plus fighters dont do hard sparrg two wks before their fight. Its pretty ridiculous to invent reasons why aj got ko’d. truth is he is not elite. deontay wld coma him. but i can see aj fans sayg aftr the deontay coma say that aj was beatup by bigfoot before the fight so he wasnt 100% ����

Comment

The concussion theory? It's what therapists call "internalization." Like: "oh, it happened to ME, so it happened to HIM."

Every fighter is different and so is the effect of a KO. If Joshua did get starched during sparring, he may have been well over it by the time he fought Ruiz. He looked fine when he put Ruiz down in the 3rd.

AJ just made the mistake of trading with Ruiz, and getting caught above the ear. I go with what Teddy Atlas said: that shot disoriented AJ. He literally fought through it for a few rounds, till Ruiz clipped him AGAIN in just about the same place.

AJ was asking his corner what was happening to him? I guess he hadn't been hit in that area before, which was disorienting him and messing with his equilibrium. Atlas rightly pointed out that when you get hit in different areas of the body, you can react in different ways.

Styles make fights and if AJ doesn't stay cool with his jab, Ruiz could land the same overhand shot in the same place for the same result.

Comment

Working...
                    X