Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Andy Ruiz Jr be even more ferocious with a full training camp?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 weeks after his last fight and he had a 8/9 training camp after that.

He was in the gym for 14 weeks straight training. And the guy he fought was Joshua's size and he took no punishment.

People need to know the facts before they start making stupid statements.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
      No question. But more importantly, he will be full of confidence because he comes in as champion and having beat AJ already, essentially made him quit.
      Yeah, and like that old saying goes....."a fighter becomes 50% better after winning a belt".

Or something along those lines.
      Last edited by Pantera_; 06-23-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CauliflowerEars View Post
        Listening to Ruiz tell it, he felt like he had a 15 week camp for Anthony Joshua, with a week or so off in the middle. The fight with Dimitrenko was only 5 rounds and he won all five. Other than the crowd effect and adrenaline secretion, I suspect that fight acted as a super intense sparring and tune-up.
        I know some fighters may train specifically with their opponents in mind, but even so I'm thinking the quick turn around benefited Andy Ruiz Jr. He seemed to think so, even leading up to fight night.

My guess is that we will see basically the very same Ruiz in the rematch, intensity wise. You never really know how someone handles being the champion, in the lime-light, the fame, and all that, until they defend their title. It would be understandable if Ruiz was a tick less hungry for the rematch, than he was in the first fight.
        That said, I believe him when he says he takes the Mexican-style and Mexican fighting heart, very seriously. Plus, there's been talk of his amateur experience and work ethic (despite his appearance), suggesting he knows how to get up for a fight.

Unless his team comes up with a totally different game plan, I expect to see the exact same aggression from Andy, as we saw in Joshua/Ruiz I.
        Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
        5 weeks after his last fight and he had a 8/9 training camp after that.

He was in the gym for 14 weeks straight training. And the guy he fought was Joshua's size and he took no punishment.

People need to know the facts before they start making stupid statements.
        What was weird to me was how Ruiz came in almost 10 pounds heavier for Joshua than he did for his fight with Dimitrinko a month before that. He must have splurged right after that one.

Remember, Ruiz didn't know he had the Joshua fight until a week after his previous one!
        Last edited by Pantera_; 06-23-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
          I hope that Ruiz doesn't go crazy and pull a Neon Leon Spinks on his fans.
          Uh oh, what did Leon Spikns pull on his fans?

Comment

I hope winning the titles keeps him motivated and hungry to carry it on.

Some fighters go the other way and lose a bit of edge once they have achieved a great win and won world titles in the process.

I think it’ll be more to do with his mentality than his ability, condition etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera_ View Post
              What was weird to me was how Ruiz came in almost 10 pounds heavier for Joshua than he did for his fight with Dimitrinko a month before that. He must have splurged right after that one.

Remember, Ruiz didn't know he had the Joshua fight until a week after his previous one!

No, he tried to gain weight, he didn't want to come in to light.

Heavier increases your punch resistance and your power.

Fury also did this

Comment

Only if Ruiz had Anne Wolfe, teddy atlas, in his corner

Comment

I think so because he already has rounds against Joshua and can also study him more in the rematch. He'll have a full training camp preparing for Joshua's specific style. I like his chances in the rematch. He's fast, moves well for his size, and might even try to shed some weight in the rematch. Also, Joshua has a suspect chin so it might be over for Joshua. He'll have to really box and keep his distance if he wants to beat Ruiz.

Comment

Remember, he only had 4 weeks to train for Joshua!
                    - -And AJ only had 4 Wks to train for Andy.

Guess you still working on thinking before blurting nonsense.

Comment

Listening to Ruiz tell it, he felt like he had a 15 week camp for Anthony Joshua, with a week or so off in the middle. The fight with Dimitrenko was only 5 rounds and he won all five. Other than the crowd effect and adrenaline secretion, I suspect that fight acted as a super intense sparring and tune-up.
                      I know some fighters may train specifically with their opponents in mind, but even so I'm thinking the quick turn around benefited Andy Ruiz Jr. He seemed to think so, even leading up to fight night
                      ^^^^^
                      So yeah, that's exactly what I said, and probably does explain the extra weight. I'm not disagreeing with anything. Maybe he minimized the week off a bit, but says he went right back to working super hard. Like you said, he may have gone to town on the carne asada and snickers during that 7-8 day break, before learning of the Joshua fight. I don't think any of that effected his work ethic, focus, or aggressiveness though. Just means he came in at 268 lbs instead of 262 lbs (or less). His weight has fluctuated over the years, but 250-260 is his most common. He started out almost 300 lbs, but lost some rather quickly. Last time he got up to 268 was in 2014. I wouldn't read too much into a 6 lb weight difference, bro.

I don't see how that changes anything I said though. I basically quoted what Andy has said about his "two camps", both before and after the fight, and of course we saw how the fight played out.
                      How much that has to do with Joshua and his camp, really remains to be seen and we will find out in the rematch. Who knows, maybe AJ becomes the "hungry" fighter, finds his "eye of the tiger" and HIS "ferociousness" neutralizes Andy's ? OR... maybe it ends up like Cancio-Machado, and Ruiz takes him out even quicker. Looking forward to it.

I think for sure Ruiz was the hungrier fighter in the first fight, and is savvy and mature enough to bring it again, having a more typical training camp. The bigger question mark is what kind of Anthony Joshua will we see.
                      All will be answered in the rematch; everything else is speculation. (which you obviously know, hence the thread question) Peace.

Comment

Working...
                      X