No announcement yet.

This is the problem with these apps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the problem with these apps

They aren't reaching the casual viewers. ESPN + has 3 mil subs but their interface is horrible. It's easy to find UFC. But you gotta accidently find boxing. Boxing is a low priority. DAZN interface is much better.

And not enough people are educated on the apps. Prelims on ESPN then switch to the app for the main card. This is a professional boxer who doesn't know where the fight is being broadcast.

Sure streaming is the future in some capacity. But until they but a major sport exclusively on an app I'm not convinced yet. I'm the boxing guy in my circle of friends. When they call or text me asking what channel the fight is on & I explain to them the apps they don't think the hassle is worth it unless it's a big fight like Canelo. If y'all think anybody but us are watching these fights on these apps y'all are clueless.

I bought the ESPN app for a fight last year. Freaking thing had the wrong date; I missed the fight and canceled the app.

Comment

you're not wrong. I got DAZN at launch because I'm a boxing fanatic. That's the only reason I heard about it, knew about it and bought it. If ESPN+ was in Canada, it would be the same thing. Casuals who might stumble onto a boxing match and watch it won't stumble on an app.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        They aren't reaching the casual viewers. ESPN + has 3 mil subs but their interface is horrible. It's easy to find UFC. But you gotta accidently find boxing. Boxing is a low priority. DAZN interface is much better.

And not enough people are educated on the apps. Prelims on ESPN then switch to the app for the main card. This is a professional boxer who doesn't know where the fight is being broadcast.

Sure streaming is the future in some capacity. But until they but a major sport exclusively on an app I'm not convinced yet. I'm the boxing guy in my circle of friends. When they call or text me asking what channel the fight is on & I explain to them the apps they don't think the hassle is worth it unless it's a big fight like Canelo. If y'all think anybody but us are watching these fights on these apps y'all are clueless.

I couldn't have agreed with you more. Why would they black out Tyson Fury's ESPN's debut over a national televised audience and put him on an online media streaming service where the audience is very limited, narrowed and marginalized?

How does he expect the mainstream, crossover American fans to notice him, if they only going to broadcast his fights over an online media streaming service? It's going to be very hard for casual fans to find and recognize Tyson Fury over the internet because they don't watch boxing anyway.

The irony is, the very same thing that Bob Arum said about AJ isolating himself from the American crossover fan by fighting on DAZN; He is doing the exact same thing with Tyson Fury. They are taking all of the British fighters off American television and putting them over the internet.

Comment

When I was getting my hair cut at the barbershop, some guys were talking about the Fury fight because they were showing highlights from the Wilder fight on ESPN on the tv. They said that it was going to be on ESPN and were going to watch it.

Little did they know they would have to buy a 5 dollar app to watch it on a 5x3 inch phone

Comment

You posted a pbc guy talking ****. I see what u did there lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post

I had this conversation with a guy at the gym who asked me about DAZN.
              For a Potential fan of boxing how would you be exposed to it if it's on an App ?
              A buddy of mine was a good example of how Potential fans get hooked on the sport .
              He said he was home bored on a Saturday night flipping through tv channels . Saw a boxing match on and watched outta curiosity . Turned out to be a very exciting fight and he was hooked ever since.
              With it on an App how would he have gotten Exposed to the sport ?
              Even if someone told him a good fight would be on an app . What would convince him to pay to watch it if he was never a fan ?

Anyway ... I know I'll get the same ol " get with the times old man " shet on here for expressing my opinion . But I'm far from old.

Comment

Originally posted by Idunnoshet View Post

Anyway ... I know I'll get the same ol " get with the times old man " shet on here for expressing my opinion . But I'm far from old.
                You are with the times. These other people aren't. As long as TV's are sold that will be the primary way to eat live sports. Movies, TV shows, those will work on apps because of the way we consume them. Watching a TV show on Thursday isn't appointment tv. I can catch it later on an app or DVR. Live sports is appointment tv. Live sports on apps can be used for content you can't get on TV. I'm in Cincinnati but I want to see the Lions play. I can watch that in an app but the Bengals game will be on TV.

Comment

This isn't nothing new & idk why so many supposedly smart cats here are acting like it is. EVERYTHING had a transitional period.

Mfers were in horse & buggy's saying cars were dumb. Mfers were listening to their radio thinking their neighbor was a r3tard for buying a big box to watch shows. Mfers thought films with talking in them were a horrible idea. There are a million bigger examples then this change from broadcast TV to the superior concept of streaming TV.

Humans are a creature of habit & most don't accept change easily. This is no different & was entirely expected by DAZN & ESPN+ & they know this is a transitional situation that will take time better than the people bringing up this "problem" that is simply a thing with changing technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    This isn't nothing new & idk why so many supposedly smart cats here are acting like it is. EVERYTHING had a transitional period.

Mfers were in horse & buggy's saying cars were dumb. Mfers were listening to their radio thinking their neighbor was a r3tard for buying a big box to watch shows. Mfers thought films with talking in them were a horrible idea. There are a million bigger examples then this change from broadcast TV to the superior concept of streaming TV.

Humans a upre a creature of habit & most don't accept change easily. This is no different & was entirely expected by DAZN & ESPN+ & they know this is a transitional situation that will take time better than the people bringing up this "problem" that is simply a thing with changing technology.
                    I'm not hating on the apps .
                    I've had DAZN since they announced they'd have the WBSS on their platform .
                    But I think there's a place for both the apps And the t.v channels .
                    You didn't address my question though . How would a Potential fan be exposed to Boxing if it's only on a pay App ?

Comment

Working...
                    X