No announcement yet.

Andy Ruiz: "If Joshua wants rematch in the UK, they gotta give me 50 million."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Seems more like Ruiz knew what he signed...

Of course they signed a split, presumably a figure of 6-7-10million (similar range to the offer to Ortiz) and guaranteed final decision on the location.

Ruiz is either playing or doesn't know what he signed.
    Probably. We'll see what is what soon.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
        Its more complicated than that. What if Ruiz wanted to fight someone in Mexico or some other random country? Hearns would have to get the courts in that country to stop the fight, while suing him in the US or UK whatever country their contract is under for the damages.
        It isn't, a court ruling would stop the WBO, IBF and WBO sanctioning it. This is what happened with Rahman and Lewis. Rahman tried to go and fight in China and a judge blocked.

From NY Times

A federal judge in Manhattan yesterday barred Hasim Rahman from fighting any other boxers for a year and a half unless he fulfilled a contractual obligation to give Lennox Lewis a rematch.

The judge, Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum, handed down the injunction after listening to lawyers argue for several days whether Rahman, who won two heavyweight titles from Lewis in April, had broken a clause in a contract with Lewis that said he had to give Lewis a rematch.

''Mr. Rahman will have plenty of opportunities to fight other opponents once he fights this rematch,'' Cedarbaum said.

Rahman simply shook his head and walked out with his wife and managers. ''If I don't get the purse I want, I won't fight,'' he said.

His lawyer, Michael Armstrong, also left quickly and did not say whether he would appeal the ruling.

Cedarbaum's decision prevents Rahman from fighting David Izon of Nigeria in Beijing on Aug. 5. The promoter Don King had set up that bout on the undercard of a fight between Evander Holyfield and John Ruiz, the World Boxing Association heavyweight champion. King had no comment on the judge's decision.

Continue reading the main story

Before Rahman signed with King in May, HBO had offered Rahman and Cedric Kushner, his promoter at the time, around $17 million to fight Lewis, while Showtime had offered about $20 million for a fight with Mike Tyson.

Lewis sued when he heard that Rahman was going to China, as did Tyson, who contended that Rahman owed him a fight because the World Boxing Council had designated Tyson the mandatory title challenger.

Now that the judge has said Rahman's contract binds him to a bout with Lewis, it is almost certain that HBO will offer much less money for the fight. Lewis's promoters, Lion Promotions and Main Events, are obligated to pay Rahman's camp at least $3.15 million for the fight. Whether they will pay more will be determined by negotiations.

''This was an act of remarkable stupidity on the part of Rahman and his managers,'' said Judd Burstein, Lewis's lawyer, who added that there was no question they would come to terms for less money than ''we were willing to pay before this decision.''

Burstein said if Rahman refused to fight Lewis, he would push ahead with a lawsuit filed against Rahman claiming monetary damages. Rahman could also be stripped of his titles, Burstein said.

Cedarbaum said she decided to issue the injunction partly because ''we have evidence that Lennox Lewis has two more years to fight.'' She added, ''He is not in the position of someone who can fight indefinitely.''

Lewis, 35, had testified that his fighting abilities were in decline and that he had to fight Rahman within 150 days of their April bout, as stipulated in their contract. Rahman won the W.B.C. and International Boxing Federation heavyweight titles from Lewis in a five-round upset in South Africa. In early May, Rahman dropped Kushner and signed with King, who immediately gave him $5 million.

Kushner has also sued Rahman and King, saying they broke a contract he had with Rahman to be the heavyweight boxer's exclusive promoter. Cedarbaum has been hearing that case alongside Lewis's suit, but postponed a decision on it even though she heard closing arguments in both cases yesterday.

Kushner and his lawyer, Rich Edlin, appeared optimistic after the judge ruled in favor of Lewis.

''I don't speculate on what the court of law might do,'' Kushner said. ''I really think this is a wonderful judge and she really understands all the issues.''

Kushner's contract with Rahman expired in October. But Edlin argued that Rahman had sustained injuries in the ring that prevented him from fighting, thus extending the contract by eight months. During that time, Edlin said, Kushner gave Rahman's co-manager, Stan Hoffman, a $75,000 check, in effect renewing the contract. What's more, Edlin said yesterday, a clause in the Kushner-Rahman contract said that if Rahman won a heavyweight title, he was obligated to have Kushner promote him for four more fights.

Lawyers for Rahman and King argued that the contract ended in October and that the $75,000 check was no guarantee of renewal.

Hoffman declined to comment as he left the courtroom, saying, ''It's not over yet.''

Comment

how the tables have turned, he and team knows that in the uk the ref will do everything in his power to make sure aj gets the best chance to win... very smart demand. why should it go to the uk anyway, aj came over here n lost he needs to come back n win!
          Last edited by uppercut510; 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Uhmmmmm.....so he wants a top 3 purse in HW history after winning one title fight? Nope. Get realistic. a 50/50 split of PPV revenue sounds par for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              Give me $50M and I swear I will fight tomorrow
              I'll fight anyone, anywhere, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                $50 million and I’ll sign today

Destroyer in the ring and a destroyer in negotiations

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                  I'll fight anyone, anywhere, right now.
                  You're back!

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                    You're back!
                    Never went anywhere. Not sure what you're talking about. Don't remember you

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                      Uhmmmmm.....so he wants a top 3 purse in HW history after winning one title fight? Nope. Get realistic. a 50/50 split of PPV revenue sounds par for the course.
                      From Dan Rafael:

He earned more than $3 million for Saturday night's fight, and his purse for the rematch will be more than double that.

Comment

Working...
                      X