Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets clear something up about Ruiz's nationality ok?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets clear something up about Ruiz's nationality ok?

First off, do not get me wrong...no slight against any nationality, but I would be remiss if I did not express something that is starting to bother me about Ruiz and the narrative of the "mexican warrior."

First off: I have been saying since day one that Ruiz has talent and would be a success...My posts can be found here. I did not even count him out against Joshua, saying "I have not seen him recently" and preferring to just not pick on that fight because of this fact.

Adore Ruiz, and I am not a Mexican warrior, just a white boy from East Harlem which brings me to by point:

Ruiz is a Mexican American. He was raised in this country. He has every right to honor his roots but he is about as Mexican as I am well... I am a lot of different things lol.

Yes he has that fighting spirit, yes he fights in a style that is Mexican in many fundamental respects, but those fast hands, that will of iron was fed on Carnitas from California!

I hope people do not see this as a slight against Mexicans but the fact is fellow Americans like myself took a lot of crap on these boards about Ruiz's dimensions when we proclaimed he would be a success and I deserve to revel in his success as much as the next guy...Messican or otherwise...

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    . He has every right to honor his roots but he is about as Mexican as I am well... I am a lot of different things lol.

Yes he has that fighting spirit, yes he fights in a style that is Mexican in many fundamental respects, but those fast hands, that will of iron was fed on Carnitas from California!
    :

Your parents are from México ?

Do you have the mexican nationality ?

You fought representing México in amateur tournaments?

You won a world title representing México?

Andy debuted in México, he was made as a boxer with mexican coaches, his actual coach is mexican

Comment

Can some of you boxing fans enlighten me on something? I thought John "Quiet Man" Ruiz was the first fighter of Mexican lineage to be heavyweight champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexican_Puppet View Post
        Your parents are from México ?

Do you have the mexican nationality ?

You fought representing México in amateur tournaments?

You won a world title representing México?

Andy debuted in México, he was made as a boxer with mexican coaches, his actual coach is mexican
        GGG new coach is black.

Does that make him a Bruvva?

Comment

It's just losers wanting to make him "theirs". That's why they immediately came out and claimed him after he won.

Comment

So basically all Mexican American boxers should leave out ethnic heritage? If you want to contextualize properly, it’s really about generation status. If his parents were born in Mexico then he isn’t that distant. Same goes for the Garcia family and many other Mexican American boxers. Even Ryan Garcia can’t speak Spanish but the young chap embraces his Mexican roots.

Would it be wrong if we were to tell African American boxers that it’s technically wrong for any one of them to embrace African heritage? Africa has many countries and different ethnic groups. A Nigerian, Somali, Kenya, etc.. many look different

By the way have you heard of DAZN?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              It's just losers wanting to make him "theirs". That's why they immediately came out and claimed him after he won.
              Robbie was so quick to yell that andy is Mexican and not American. Meanwhile he’s supporting a guy without a drop of European blood and claiming he’s british lol. So stupid

Comment

Originally posted by CoachMac34 View Post
                Can some of you boxing fans enlighten me on something? I thought John "Quiet Man" Ruiz was the first fighter of Mexican lineage to be heavyweight champion.
                No, I believe he was Puerto Rican.

As for Andy Ruiz, Mexico can have him, he won't last.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachMac34 View Post
                  He's of Puertorican lineage.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
                    GGG new coach is black.

Does that make him a Bruvva?
                    TBear bigjavi973

I got banned for saying this...

I don’t use that word anymore even though it’s been used here for years. Nothing wrong with it

Comment

Working...
                    X