Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BufordTannen View Post
    Nobody fights strictly on ppv these days genius
    Lolx....I like your new narrative.
    OK, now, when was his last ppv before fury came into the picture?

A year a go, right?

Comment

Originally posted by WhatDisButtonDo View Post
      sicko's post was spot on. I made my post before I read his and we basically said the same thing.

They've gone over because there are more white athletes at the top. Nothing more, nothing less. Boxing doesn't need the white fan base at all. HBO tried to do it with Eastern Europeans and it's one of the many reasons they went out of business. PBC/Haymon/ etc grabbed a great deal of the Hispanic/Latino/Black talent, and HBO had some but not really much. That's why you really started seeing them push the EE fighters after the split to showtime.
      Jon Jones is my fav MMA fighter. Color doesnt matter. We're sick of the judging and cherry picks.

Comment

If that's not possible then Haymon, Arum, Hearn needs to find the next Floyd, Pacquiao, Cotto, etc & if not at least a new Adrien Broner type hybrid who is disciplined and can remain undefeated @ least until his mid 30's

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.365 View Post
          If that's not possible then Haymon, Arum, Hearn needs to find the next Floyd, Pacquiao, Cotto, etc & if not at least a new Adrien Broner type hybrid who is disciplined and can remain undefeated @ least until his mid 30's
          Canelo, the main issue is them pushing wins and not letting them happen. People have eyes and can see when a fighter lost or won. Im sick of paying for fights, betting on fights, going to fights and spending money to get there only to get robbed for my money because of judges and promoters.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
            I was dwelling on this subject for sometime and i have come to a solid conclusion... although the black fighters from the US are American of course, the white demographic has a cultural disconnect with them for the most part.

I'm not certain how it is across the pond but over here in the states the differences in each community is quite strong. Whites, black, Latinos and asian Americans all act very differently from each other. In fact, we segragate ourselves to a degree. We make little china towns, mexicantowns, etc... to further draw a division and separate ourselves in the bigger cities.

Therefore i do agree. Little Bobby from rural Montana wont be able to find much in common with the Broners and Tank Davis' of the US boxing scene.

Boxing is a very tribalistic sport, and in a diverse country like the USA where folks tend to hold on dearly to their ancestral roots, the diversity could essentially become adversity to unity.
            what would broner have in common with little Bobby from Montana? or does that work only one way? blacks never had much in common with whites and they hate whites

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gans Louis View Post
              LOL?? Why does boxing need a white fan base when MMA fighters make considerably less then headlining boxers.

Connor McGregor made more money in one boxing match than he made in his entire MMA career. After he got his boxing money then he decided to not give a single Fμ€K and ruin his MMA career.

If MMA was so lucrative then why is Dana White trying to dabble in boxing? MMA has no stars except a coked out Jon Jones. Boxing has Canelo, Garcia, Wilder, Fury, AJ, Spence, Pacquiao, Lomachenko, and GGG.

And if he ever comes back, who's the HIGHEST paid athlete in the WORLD?? Floyd retired gets more attention that ANY MMA fighter.

Three of those names are white and Canelo has white genes. I dont see a lack of white stars. If you are looking for a white star out of America then you are $h!t out of luck.

White people in America dont play sports, they play video games and watch ****. Good luck getting the average white kid to do any thing but sit on their @$$ all day. They dont even play baseball anymore which is supposed to be our heritage sport.

Hockey and Baseball are mostly white and MLB is mostly American yet 90% of the best players are foreign. MLB has resorted to juicing the baseball instead of players to get ratings. Hockey is below college sports in America despite being nearly All White.

They ran to MMA because they dont like to compete with people of color. I highly doubt they want to fight people like AJ, Spence and Wilder. Canelo had to find a Euro white.

Go look at the NBA. Nobody is telling white kids no to try and they just volunteered to give up. If it wasnt for QBs and the offensive line in the NFL they would exist there either.

Mike Trout is the best white athlete in America yet people barely know him. He could walk into the middle of Times Sq in NYC and 99% wouldnt know who he is despite him being from the next state over New Jersey.

So why does the sport need a great white hope when white people dont box or support their own outside of football??

Again, If MMA is so great why is Dana trying to get into boxing if MMA is such a cash cow and boxing is losing because the need of a white star??

We havent had a big star white in outside of football (Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning) since Mark McGuire and Larry Bird. Dirk Nowitzki has never been the biggest star in the NBA and that has a worldwide audience. Who's the biggest NBA jersey seller in China? It sure isnt Gordon Hayworth or even Jeremy Lin.

I dont see how you can have a great white hope when white people have given up hope. White parents are telling their kids they cant compete despite Euro fighters/Athletes proving otherwise. Thats just facts. I dont see you getting them to tune in when they rather wank it or play video games.

No one is saying they cant compete but you have to be will to try without a crutch. They have all resources to yet dont want to take their lumps when they dont succeed and come back stronger from defeat.
              what about the white kid set 100 yd dash HS record and within tenths of the juiced usain bolts record? they call him white lighting

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
                But then to be fair I am British and dont know. Its not like that over here and it just seems a bit backwards to hear it could be like that in such a modern and trend setting country.
                Read the below responses

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
                I was dwelling on this subject for sometime and i have come to a solid conclusion... although the black fighters from the US are American of course, the white demographic has a cultural disconnect with them for the most part.

I'm not certain how it is across the pond but over here in the states the differences in each community is quite strong. Whites, black, Latinos and asian Americans all act very differently from each other. In fact, we segragate ourselves to a degree. We make little china towns, mexicantowns, etc... to further draw a division and separate ourselves in the bigger cities.

Therefore i do agree. Little Bobby from rural Montana wont be able to find much in common with the Broners and Tank Davis' of the US boxing scene.

Boxing is a very tribalistic sport, and in a diverse country like the USA where folks tend to hold on dearly to their ancestral roots, the diversity could essentially become adversity to unity.
                Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                That's why I'm hopeful that Caleb Plant can stay on top for a while. Perhaps he can attract more of a white fanbase if he proves to have staying power. And maybe he can spark more interest in the sport in the South where he is from.

The sad reality is that there are many white Americans who would rather cheer for a white foreigner than for a brown or black American.

Which disgusts me.

But maybe if they see one of their own doing well they can be coaxed back into watching boxing.
                All this

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                Basketball has got to be popular with mainstream white America too, or the star players wouldn't be making the kind of money they do.
                The NBA is the one truly international sport we have.

The league makes tons from Europeans and is very popular in China now. That's why NBA money is sooo long.

Not that no Whites watch it, but they don't watch it like they did when Larry Bird was around and the few that do use Europeans like Dirk Nowitzki & Luka Doncic as surrogates

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
                  Canelo, the main issue is them pushing wins and not letting them happen. People have eyes and can see when a fighter lost or won. Im sick of paying for fights, betting on fights, going to fights and spending money to get there only to get robbed for my money because of judges and promoters.
                  Thats the Floyd factor stepping in. He's the new measuring stick for success but having a 0 by your name doesnt mean much if you never beat anyone worthy of acclaim.

Go look at the Harrison vs Charlo fight. Its clear the promotion and the network were in favor of Charlo. The commentary was bias as hell.

These were two black fighters and when the judges scored it properly the media sells the "robbery angle".
                  Had the networks and the crowd at the fight had their way we would have a had a manufactured win by Charlo.

One of the dork commentators tried to sound smart by saying you can't jab your way you a title". Skewing one of those "unwritten" boxing rules about not winning a title fighting backwards.

Judges are allowed to do what they do. Judge. They are allowed to interpret a fight within the proper parameters. And some factors carry more weight than others depending on the judge. Its up to the fighter and trainer to know a judges style and fight to impress them.

Yes, judges are bought off or influenced by promotors at times. I wouldnt have any problem with a centralized neutral judging and refereeing organization. When the AI is available we could put sensors in gloves and let computers do the scoring.

There is hope for the future. What I dont want to see is a single promotion like MMA where guys are "told" to fight. This is a blood sport with a prize incentive. These promotions are never gonna take responsibility for fighters health if they arranged a clear mismatch were someone dies.

It should ALWAYS be up to the two men fighting when they are ready to fight. Fans have the right to ***** about it and vote with there money but people really need to tone down on the they or anyone need to fight a the wims of the fans.

Fight are gonna happen when fights are gonna happen. So when they do we need to have system in place were it is judged and refereed fairly. No one fighter should have a crooked promotion putting their life on the line for greed.

Thats were the law comes in and starts putting people who fix fights in jail. The same can be said for steroid users. Put them in jail for assault with a deadly weapon and these problems will start to go away.

Promotors and fighters who cheat should go to jail. Plain and simple.

Comment

Surely it can't be that bad.

Errol Spence seems to get a lot of support in Texas. If he keeps fighting there, and rewards the fans by bringing the big fights home, that support will only grow.

This is a strategy that Matchroom USA seem to be trying on a smaller scale. With Farmer recently headlining in Philadelphia, and Andrade's next fight due in Rhode Island.

It's not something that will get immediate rewards, but over time it can gain traction.

Comment

Originally posted by nacho daddy View Post
                      what would broner have in common with little Bobby from Montana? or does that work only one way? blacks never had much in common with whites and they hate whites
                      It works every which way. That's my point. Just because we are all Americans doesnt mean we share the same culture.

Comment

Working...
                      X