No announcement yet.

Per ESPN Canelo vs Jacobs generated more then 48M in subscriptions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
    Good points about ESPN+ having more content and being cheaper - but remember when they have a big fight they still put that on PPV. So you are paying that $60 yearly and still not getting the best few fights for that price. I remember thinking at the last minute I would tune in for Crawford-Khan on ESPN+ and I couldn't believe it was actually on PPV.

So far it is all included with DAZN. I also think DAZN's roster is a little better than ESPN's but it's close - I like GGG and a few others on there that I am glad I can watch those fights without paying another $300 a year for the PPVs they would be in.

What I really like about DAZN's model is not having to pop $60-$100 for a PPV that may not even be that good. Just with the roster they have now I will enjoy watching the 2 Canelo fights, 2 GGG fights, 2 Andrade fights, Jacobs, Joshua etc.

It's not perfect but I think the non-PPV model is moving in the right direction, if it is sustainable for the DAZNs of the world.
    They'll raise the price again. It took them less than an year to raise it the first time They might even start charging more for premium fights. If they've already doubled their price with only boxing & Bellator just imagine what the price will be if they were to get other sports.

And I'm not one of those who complain about PPV pricing because it usually averages out to roughly how much I'd pay for DAZN. I never watch PPV alone. There's usually at least 10 of us. That's $8 each. The average PPV is watched by 5-6 people. So that's $13 or $16 each. I don't think people watching the fights are really gonna complain about $13 or $16 dollars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      They'll raise the price again. It took them less than an year to raise it the first time They might even start charging more for premium fights. If they've already doubled their price with only boxing & Bellator just imagine what the price will be if they were to get other sports.

And I'm not one of those who complain about PPV pricing because it usually averages out to roughly how much I'd pay for DAZN. I never watch PPV alone. There's usually at least 10 of us. That's $8 each. The average PPV is watched by 5-6 people. So that's $13 or $16 each. I don't think people watching the fights are really gonna complain about $13 or $16 dollars.
      We will see. At a certain point they can't keep raising the price or they will lose subscribers, like me. The great part of their platform is that they are offering a low-rate flat fee for all of their fights, and good-great fights a lot of times. Whether it is DAZN or someone else, that should be the model we all want.

Well with that logic you should be loving DAZN - you can all get together to pay $20 for the Canelo-Jacobs fight and you would all pay $2 lol.

There is just no debating that DAZN is a much better deal right now than the other platforms (only caveat would be if your favorite fighters are on other network) - but even then you should wish they were on a service like DAZN so you could get all of their fights for only $100 bucks.

But I can tell that you and some others are against it, against their own best interests. You don't concede that any part of it is good, which is absurd. I never thought I would see the day when people were happy to pay more/pay for PPV. Just shows again how tribal people are on this website. If it is 'their guy' they love it; if it is the 'other guy' they hate it.

Have fun hating on something just because it isn't from Haymon etc. You can miss me what that stuff. Be well!!

Comment

Well with that logic you should be loving DAZN - you can all get together to pay $20 for the Canelo-Jacobs fight and you would all pay $2 lol.
        People are not going to not go to a fight party because it's $16 a head as opposed to $2 a head. The difference is minimal. And what you and others seem to fail to realize is that big fights are an event. Americans love big events. When Floyd was fighting the US focused on boxing twice a year. And were willing to pay to watch him figure twice a year.

Why would you say I hate anything not Haymon related when I just said ESPN plus is better?

Comment

People are not going to not go to a fight party because it's $16 a head as opposed to $2 a head. The difference is minimal. And what you and others seem to fail to realize is that big fights are an event. Americans love big events. When Floyd was fighting the US focused on boxing twice a year. And were willing to pay to watch him figure twice a year.

Why would you say I hate anything not Haymon related when I just said ESPN plus is better?
          Hey man, the whole point about DAZN is it is lowering the costs, drastically, to watch boxing. If you want to still pay more money for the same general amount of content, go ahead. Don't see how anyone can complain about it but feel free.

My guess is you view this an all-hands-on-deck scenario where the enemy of your enemy is your friend. So you will support ESPN+, somewhat, because you view DAZN as a threat.

ESPN+ succeeding won't KO Haymon and PBC. DAZN succeeding could change the landscape of boxing programming.

I really don't see how anyone can hate that much on DAZN right now, but if you want to, feel free.

Comment

Hey man, the whole point about DAZN is it is lowering the costs, drastically, to watch boxing. If you want to still pay more money for the same general amount of content, go ahead. Don't see how anyone can complain about it but feel free.

My guess is you view this an all-hands-on-deck scenario where the enemy of your enemy is your friend. So you will support ESPN+, somewhat, because you view DAZN as a threat.

ESPN+ succeeding won't KO Haymon and PBC. DAZN succeeding could change the landscape of boxing programming.

I really don't see how anyone can hate that much on DAZN right now, but if you want to, feel free.
            i have no issues with DAZN...i really dont...but watching some of the rabid defenders of it...it reminds me of people who lose logic when it comes to defending some of their favorite fighters

some of you seem to talk like DAZN is trying to do some noble thing to help boxing fans...like they wanna make everything cheaper for us somehow at the expense of making money for themselves...i assure you that they dont...theyre in the game for same reasons as anyone else

theyre piggybacking an existing idea and trying to bring a different genre into it....it might work...it might not....it might not be possible for them to keep things the current way and at the current price...and keep it "affordable" for the common boxing fan....we shall see.....but remember...they arent in the charity business...they are out to make a buck like everyone else

Comment

• Wow, if DAZN keeps these numbers up then Eddie Hearn just might be able to keep his job yet. Once they get long term subscribers then it will be a definite game changer for DAZN. However, in order for that to happen both Golden Boy and Matchroom must sign better talent to its current rosters.

Comment

They aren't lowering prices. This is already temporary. They've already doubled prices in less than a year. They'll eventually raise them again and/or charge extra for premium fights. Nobody is in this game to lose money. They couldn't even sustain the losses they were at for a year. That's why they raised the price so quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
                  i have no issues with DAZN...i really dont...but watching some of the rabid defenders of it...it reminds me of people who lose logic when it comes to defending some of their favorite fighters

some of you seem to talk like DAZN is trying to do some noble thing to help boxing fans...like they wanna make everything cheaper for us somehow at the expense of making money for themselves...i assure you that they dont...theyre in the game for same reasons as anyone else

theyre piggybacking an existing idea and trying to bring a different genre into it....it might work...it might not....it might not be possible for them to keep things the current way and at the current price...and keep it "affordable" for the common boxing fan....we shall see.....but remember...they arent in the charity business...they are out to make a buck like everyone else
                  No doubt - I think the competition with PBC and ESPN+ is healthy in a way because they all have to compete with one another now, so they have to compete on cost and quality.

I am not really hyping up DAZN as much as I am any streaming service that would eliminate the PPV model. For me personally the PPV model is just a big inhibitor in watching the fights that I really want to see. Would have enjoyed GGG Canelo 2, Kov Ward 2, Spence Garcia, Fury Wilder etc, but bought none of those because the price wasn't worth it.

If a service can come out and provide those big fights for a fraction of the cost, I would love that; if it is DAZN or not is not important.

I would really love to see different streaming platforms competing with each other. I like ESPN+ as well but the downside for them is they are charging more for the PPV fights.

Personally I agree with you that the opinion of DAZN seems to be very tribal and it reminds me of the conversation around certain fighters. Some people seem insistent on hating on it for whatever reason, that any valid criticism of it falls flat. And truthfully there is not a whole lot to hate on DAZN (or some of your other main targets Curt :0) right now.

Comment

They aren't lowering prices. This is already temporary. They've already doubled prices in less than a year. They'll eventually raise them again and/or charge extra for premium fights. Nobody is in this game to lose money. They couldn't even sustain the losses they were at for a year. That's why they raised the price so quickly.
                    Dude I'm done talking to you. THEY ARE LOWERING PRICES IN THE SENSE THAT THEY ARE CHARGING $100 A YEAR FOR MANY QUALITY FIGHTS, MANY OF THEM PPV QUALITY.

If they end up doing what ESPN+ is doing and have a higher monthly price while also charging for other fights - then yeah I would probably change my opinion on them. It hasn't happened yet and I have heard no indication that is it going to happen. Have fun with your pity party and your own reality though.

You can argue with yourself as much as you want to about why DAZN is so terrible. You either aren't capable of understanding what I said, or are deliberately trying to twist my words around, and in either sense I don't have any time for it.

Comment

Dude I'm done talking to you. THEY ARE LOWERING PRICES IN THE SENSE THAT THEY ARE CHARGING $100 A YEAR FOR MANY QUALITY FIGHTS, MANY OF THEM PPV QUALITY.

If they end up doing what ESPN+ is doing and have a higher monthly price while also charging for other fights - then yeah I would probably change my opinion on them. It hasn't happened yet and I have heard no indication that is it going to happen. Have fun with your pity party and your own reality though.

You can argue with yourself as much as you want to about why DAZN is so terrible. You either aren't capable of understanding what I said, or are deliberately trying to twist my words around, and in either sense I don't have any time for it.
                      They've had 1 PPV quality fight. Let's not overexaggerate. The majority of the months have been lackluster. The middle of April until June 1st is the best run they've had. During the same period they've both existed ESPN plus has put on more and better quality boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X