Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What excuse is there for Commey Refusing to Fight Loma Next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What excuse is there for Commey Refusing to Fight Loma Next?

Why should he not fight Loma next? What better more high profile opponent can he get at this point in his career? At any point in his career? Even beyond his hand injury, which seems to have healed quickly, he's saying he wants somebody else first. Why? If he beat Loma, he'd be huge. If not, he gets a great payday that he won't get against anybody else. He has dropped the ball.

My main issue with boxing is that the best don't fight the best. This is the major problem. We see it at 147 with Thurman, Porter, Crawford and Spence fighting easy fights instead of each other. We see the same thing at 175. 4 solid "champions" who won't fight each other. And now we have 135- Loma wants to unify. Commey runs. Mikey does whatever and how is even still champion? He's made one defense since winning that strap over two years ago. This is BS, for real and it's why boxing drags ass. Make the best fight each other or stop wasting the fans' time!

Like I say, Commey's another in a long list who dropped the ball.

Didn’t he just get the belt and get hurt? Not making excuses but aren’t those reasons why he’d want to take his time?

Comment

Originally posted by TheUptownKid View Post
      Didn’t he just get the belt and get hurt? Not making excuses but aren’t those reasons why he’d want to take his time?
      Like I said, why what better opportunity for a big fight will he have now or ever? Commey's never gonna be a household name. We know this. Loma wants to unify. It's a huge opportunity for him. He's already over his injury or so he claims. So what's the hold up?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
        Like I said, why what better opportunity for a big fight will he have now or ever? Commey's never gonna be a household name. We know this. Loma wants to unify. It's a huge opportunity for him. He's already over his injury or so he claims. So what's the hold up?
        It’s one thing to want fights as a fan, another to be a fighter. You’ve spent all of your life to get this belt, you don’t want to sit on it, but you also don’t want to let another man make your decisions. You’re champion. You choose who to fight and when and if the terms are to your liking. It’s not for fans or opponents to decide. Look at Indongo, 3 title fights in less than a year, won two belts end of the year back in obscurity.

Comment

It’s one thing to want fights as a fan, another to be a fighter. You’ve spent all of your life to get this belt, you don’t want to sit on it, but you also don’t want to let another man make your decisions. You’re champion. You choose who to fight and when and if the terms are to your liking. It’s not for fans or opponents to decide. Look at Indongo, 3 title fights in less than a year, won two belts end of the year back in obscurity.
          You're champion of an organization. If he beats Loma, he's the man at 135, regardless if he gets the other belt. The potential win is more than worth the risk. If he fights Loma in a unification, I doubt he'll go into obscurity but if you never step up to the world stage, you're pretty much obscure by choice. No?

Fighters have to be opportunistic.

Comment

You're champion of an organization. If he beats Loma, he's the man at 135, regardless if he gets the other belt. The potential win is more than worth the risk. If he fights Loma in a unification, I doubt he'll go into obscurity but if you never step up to the world stage, you're pretty much obscure by choice. No?

Fighters have to be opportunistic.
            Agreed. But there are fighters clamoring for that belt all over Loma isn’t the only one. Commey may want his own ole moments in the ring before squaring off. He may want to build his own brand.

I understand as a fan we wanna see the greats but as far as leverage goes, loma is 30+ and in a rush for greatness with a less then massive fan base. True commey gets credit for a great win and catapulted to p4p status possibly, but a fight in the uk may make you more money and launch your fan base more. You have to take that into consideration.

Comment

Agreed. But there are fighters clamoring for that belt all over Loma isn’t the only one. Commey may want his own ole moments in the ring before squaring off. He may want to build his own brand.

I understand as a fan we wanna see the greats but as far as leverage goes, loma is 30+ and in a rush for greatness with a less then massive fan base. True commey gets credit for a great win and catapulted to p4p status possibly, but a fight in the uk may make you more money and launch your fan base more. You have to take that into consideration.
              You have solid empathy for the boxers and their plight, which I appreciate. It's good to look at a situation from all sides and maybe I'm being selfish but even from Commey's stand point, I think refusing the Loma fight is a big mistake. A year from now, how is adding one or two defenses to his ledger against nobodies really going to catapult him or build his brand? Tbh, I think a loss to Loma would build his brand more. People would say that he squared off against the best and when you're willing to do that, you get automatic respect and honestly, I can see him going the distance with Loma and having some moments. It isn't Loma's best weight. Who knows? If he won, it would put him over huge. I don't know. Seems like a big mistake to me but we'll see how it plays out of course.

Comment

He injured his hand and only got cleared to train a week ago. He's a warrior and isn't going to duck. I think they want to get a fight in this summer so he can be back at 100% before fighting Loma later this year. Knuckle ligament issues can nag you for a while. I know this first hand. Even Loma himself understands and when asked about Commey said, "... I broke my hand, got injured in my shoulder, so I completely understand what kind of sport we’re in."

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  He injured his hand and only got cleared to train a week ago. He's a warrior and isn't going to duck. I think they want to get a fight in this summer so he can be back at 100% before fighting Loma later this year. Knuckle ligament issues can nag you for a while. I know this first hand. Even Loma himself understands and said, *... I broke my hand, got injured in my shoulder, so I completely understand what kind of sport we’re in."
                  I see. Well, I hope they can make the fight in the fall at least. I can respect that, but I don't know. It just seems crazy to me to refuse a unification and I know Commey isn't the only one to do that, but I mean, I would think that by July he would be okay. Still, though, good points, Redd and I hope we get it soon. The more unifications, the better!

Comment

I see. Well, I hope they can make the fight in the fall at least. I can respect that, but I don't know. It just seems crazy to me to refuse a unification and I know Commey isn't the only one to do that, but I mean, I would think that by July he would be okay. Still, though, good points, Redd and I hope we get it soon. The more unifications, the better!

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt
                    He was injured and especially a hand injury really does need to heal for it to be ready to go
                    I don’t think he’s ducking , actually probably wants to see how it feels in a real fight
                    Sparring is one thing , meaning without acknowledging it you might slow down or not hit so hard , subliminal I guess , but once in a fight you need all you got

I think this fight will happen , I think Commey does want the fight

Comment

Working...
                    X