Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum: Hearn Doesn't Know D*ck About Promoting In The U.S.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American promoters still upset DAZN commercials are trashing PPVs

Comment

Woooooow what a way to take a swipe Bob lol

Comment

Eddy business model, fight cheap now, more money later. Many options.

Comment

We'll soon find out! If he can't sell Joshua vs. Miller at MSG, then he might as well let Daddy takeover again!

Comment

Eddie can bring all his best fighters to America but Eddie gon learn the politics here ain't exactly the same as over in the UK. Eddie is the new kid on the block here and the OG promoters ain't having it. Lol this is entertaining.

Comment

If promoting in the US means not giving the fans the fights they want, like Arum and Haymon have done for a long time. Then i hope Hearn doesn't.

Comment

But is bob lying?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  I've mentioned this myself a couple times cuz it seems like such a basic piece of knowledge a promoter entering a new market should know. It says to me Eddie flies by the seat of his pants more than one would think. Now the question is did this enlightening info make him deep dive into more things he's behind on the learning curve about or is there more sh^t he'll be finding out as he does more fights in the US? Idk that answer to that, but we'll all be finding out in the next 12-24 months I'd imagine cuz there is no way Eddie keeps his favored promoter status with DAZN if he keeps not getting how the US promotional game works.
                  Thing about it is it’s extremely amateurish on the part of Hearn and dazn alone.....it’s like there was zero market research

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                    No, he doesn't. He doesn't understand the business model of American boxing. For example: In the U.K. More than two thirds of the boxing revenue is generated at the gate.

In the U.S. More than 80-90 percent of the revenue is generated through television or on an online streaming app because boxing is a niche sport here. It is no longer mainstream. That is why you found all of these empty arenas on DAZN.
                    It's not that it's no longer mainstream though; folks simply got lazy with the mechanics once HBO become the top payer. If you have one outfit paying the big money, self-interest has folks angling things to that one pot.

The tide is changing though Brooklyn, Las Vegas, and SoCal are still the strongest markets, but (particularly Haymon's effort but others as well) you see the DMV (D.C./Maryland/Virginia) start to shine with MGM National Harbor and the Armory, Minneapolis is now starting to build something for boxing, Dallas/Houston/El Paso are starting to stand out as fight towns again, and other fighters are now setting the stage to bring fights home too.

With the shift in TV (basically now to this new Showtime/Fox Sports world), the general public is getting to see more fighters again, and awareness on TV can lead to more local support.

As an example, Joey Spencer (personally I call him "Kid" Spencer because he can kick your ass yet looks 14/15) is 6-0 and has all 6 of his fights televised. He'll likely run that up another 6 televised fights. By the time he's up to 15-0, the country would've seen him enough to have him feature on his first big stage (maybe even in Detroit).

Errol Spence followed a similar track

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                      I will say this about Eddie Hearn. He doesn't have to worry about generating enough revenue anymore because DAZN handles that. So that makes his load a whole lot lighter promoting in the states when it comes to ticket sells. However, Edward's biggest problem is signing top-notch American fighters to his platform because most of them are all signed to the PBC under Al Haymon.
                      ... because Al Haymon spent the last 2, and maybe 3, Olympic cycles looking for and cultivating the top US talent; Outside of Joseph Diaz Jr and Jose Ramirez, Haymon basically scooped up everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X