No announcement yet.

punches that seem to be rarely used in boxing these days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• punches that seem to be rarely used in boxing these days

The check hook-I see fighters just go backwards these days and not use the angle to sidestep and use the check hook, why is this punch rarely used if at all?

Hook off of the jab-This punch is very effective and I dont understand why it is not used in more combos

Leaping left hook-This is a beautiful punch that is hard to time with an athletic boxer with great timing

Low blows since ward retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
      Low blows since ward retired.
      you do know it is ok to just talk boxing here right? we dont always have to try to take shots at boxers, lets just talk about the sport

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
        The check hook-I see fighters just go backwards these days and not use the angle to sidestep and use the check hook, why is this punch rarely used if at all?

Hook off of the jab-This punch is very effective and I dont understand why it is not used in more combos

Leaping left hook-This is a beautiful punch that is hard to time with an athletic boxer with great timing
        Yes not too many fighters now check hook, its very affective both defensively and offensively. Hooking off the jab and leaping left hooks are bad unless ur prime Roy Jones Jr. He used them all beautifully against James toney.
        One punch that fighters don't do anymore that is one of the first little combos u learn at the gym and is very affective is jab faint to the body and hard right hand up top. Shane use to do it and it's actually the one he used to rock Floyd in the 2nd round.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidel456 View Post
          Yes not too many fighters now check hook, its very affective both defensively and offensively. Hooking off the jab and leaping left hooks are bad unless ur prime Roy Jones Jr. He used them all beautifully against James toney.
          One punch that fighters don't do anymore that is one of the first little combos u learn at the gym and is very affective is jab faint to the body and hard right hand up top. Shane use to do it and it's actually the one he used to rock Floyd in the 2nd round.
          Floyd and Pattertson both also had great leaping left hooks as did Joe Fraizier..Wlad use to hook off of the jab beautifully

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post

Maxim Dadashev recently had a brutal KO win with a combo with somewhat of a check hook and right hand combo. Check it out. That was a nice one.

Comment

The damn uppercut man.

Comment

Agree on the Check Hook

Takes some serious Timing though, doesn't look easy to do at all

Comment

The haymaker

Comment

Right hook to the body, right uppercut is a wicked combination. I remember Pacquiao using it against David Diaz.

Comment

Working...
                    X